Votes: 8 7.9%
  • RP8/Planar 8

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • RP10/Planar 10

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • Planet/P1/RP1

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
I have a P3 (from 2005) and a Planar 6 which I recently acquired - prefer the P6 - but then it was x4 as much as the P3. The P3 served me well and I'm really enjoying the improvements from the P6.

Planet should be listed separately.

And let us not forget this beauty. Only circa 100 made but someone may have preferred this relative to what came before (Planet) or since (Planar 2/R200, etc.)...

post-126452-0-08232100-1426996023_thumb.jpeg

Probably deemed too expensive to produce, what with its alloy platter and hub and fully machined full metal spindle. Even the natural wood frame had nice angle cut corners. Interesting that the motor was repositioned relative to the rest, and slightly further away, necessitating a longer belt (likely unobtanium without DIY splicing one's own).

post-126452-0-98237200-1426996009_thumb.jpeg

Last edited:
Hard to say, they’ve consistently made some absolute belters at a range of price levels... we have an RP1, RP3 and a P5 with a Neo PSU and GT reference sub-platter, the P5 is by far the best performer but they’re all excellent... ultimately I want a Planar 10, but I’ve voted for the P5 since in terms of bang for buck, it’s the best deck I’ve owned.

I've owned the 2, original Planar3, later version with RB300, 25 with non Rega arm, and a P9.

Voted for the Planar 3 since it's unswervingly reliable, competent in all area, betters many a silly money monstrosity and wouldn't be disgraced in even the finest systems. Not the best TT by a long stretch but it's gets most things right.

I had to vote for the P3 simply because it was impossible to beat this marvelous turntable here in Canada for this price tag. Period.
I also had the P6 that was obviously a good step up but switched within a year to the iconic Linn LP 12/Itok/Deca Gold and simply forgot about my journey with Rega.
Funny enough, both of my friends I sold my two Rega to still have them and they have no desire to upgrade !

Planet should be listed separately.

And let us not forget this beauty. Only circa 100 made but someone may have preferred this relative to what came before (Planet) or since (Planar 2/R200, etc.)...

post-126452-0-08232100-1426996023_thumb.jpeg

Probably deemed too expensive to produce, what with its alloy platter and hub and fully machined full metal spindle. Even the natural wood frame had nice angle cut corners. Interesting that the motor was repositioned relative to the rest, and positioned slightly further away, necessitating a longer belt (likely unobtanium without DIY splicing one's own).

post-126452-0-98237200-1426996009_thumb.jpeg

Beautiful. Funny that they brought back the alloy subplatter years later for the higher end models.

My 3 has a similar plinth that I believe was an Antipodean special. Its wooden trim is a little lighter in colour and flush with the black. I think it's white tawa. Visually, it's a close match to my A60.

It took me years to find one to replace the satin black plinth. I was lucky mine had a Grace arm originally with the correct arm hole position as some were sold with Linn LVV arms (like the sample below). I swapped over the RB300 and second generation motor, and recently installed the latest subplatter. It sounds fabulous.

img_4266.jpg

Even though I have an RP6, I voted for the P25 that I owned previously. I agree with others that it is the best looking deck Rega ever made, and sounded good too. Wish I had kept it.
I don't think the RP6 can be grouped with the Planar 6. The RP6 was available in a variety of gloss finishes, with the Planar 6 only in a matt type black (& with Neo PSU).

Early Planar 3 would get my vote. At only 18 years old I’d saved hard to get a Pioneer rack system With AR18 speakers as my first proper hifi (and fabulous sound it was too compared to the boom box I had before it). My first introduction to separates was when my uncle had a Planar 3, A&R A60 and Mordaunt Short Pageant speakers. Bought from the original Graham’s in Pentonville Road.

I put on my copy of More Specials and was blown away.,, I was still happy with the Pioneer for many many years until I could afford a secondhand LP12 and Arcam integrated to start the next stage of my Hifi journey

Have a P9, but my vote went for the (present) Planar 2. Just love the understated minimalism and probably the most cost effective Rega deck.

Right at the end of the RP6 production run they made a few with the new RB303 arm. Strong argument to say that the basic Planar 3 design can't be pushed beyond that point and it is more than good enough for me, especially in bright red.

I think the wording of the question is odd and I don't know how to answer it.

'Preferred' suggests the one you would most like to use, which may not be the one you actually use or the one you think represents the best value. Or the one you think if most significant in Rega turntable history. Or even one you have any experience of at all.

advertisement

Back