Votes: 8 7.9%
  • RP8/Planar 8

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • RP10/Planar 10

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • Planet/P1/RP1

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Keen Rega fans may recall that, at the end of 2005, P2 (2000) was unceremoniously dropped from the line, making P3 the entry model (discounting Planar 78) until the introduction of P1 in October 2006, followed by 'The New Rega P2' with 'brand new stablised 22mm platter design to give greater speed stability' in December of that year.
Yes, that sounds about right. I had one the “new Rega P2s with the 22mm platter, it was actually a pretty excellent entry level turntable, definitely good step above the original P1, the RB250 accounting for much of that over the rather cost cut RB100 arm.

I'm looking at this picture and wondering how the outer plinth 'braces and stiffens' the plinth when it's only attached at two small points? And is fitted into fairly soft particle board?

IMG_6221.jpg

I understand the frame is useful to hide that poor chipboard. Rega didn't glue even a finishing tape on it. What a shame!
I would stick a finishing tape on the edge.
Yes, let's slag Rega off for putting some lovely alloy or hardwood of choice round, rather than glue on some finishing tape! :rolleyes:

I understand the frame is useful to hide that poor chipboard. Rega didn't glue even a finishing tape on it. What a shame!
I would stick a finishing tape on the edge.
All Rega decks of that era were made of the same material, entry level ones had a plastic edging strip around them, mid/top level ones had the surround, which is actually rather nice... my only slight gripe is the neoprene between the joints. It’s a great deck the P5.

Yes, let's slag Rega off for putting some lovely alloy or hardwood of choice round, rather than glue on some finishing tape! :rolleyes:

It's just a matter of style.
it would be like putting a cornice on a Van Der Rohe building.

I'm looking at this picture and wondering how the outer plinth 'braces and stiffens' the plinth when it's only attached at two small points? And is fitted into fairly soft particle board?
I didn't say that (i.e. fix your quotes).

The outer frame isn't there to stiffen anything, it keeps the traditional / expected / thinner looking overall dimensions whilst allowing a thicker plinth to be both stiffer and lighter due to it containing a number of cavities, à la P9 plinth, that reduce mass without commensurate loss of rigidity.

And, as mentioned previously, the frame holds up the dust cover, just like that extra bit of foreskin that came with your RP10.

medium

All Rega decks of that era were made of the same material, entry level ones had a plastic edging strip around them, mid/top level ones had the surround, which is actually rather nice... my only slight gripe is the neoprene between the joints. It’s a great deck the P5.

I don't pay an extra price for an useless and unhaestetic frame. I want to pay for substancial reasons.

And, as mentioned previously, the frame holds up the dust cover, just like that extra bit of foreskin that came with your RP10.

But the frame on the RP10 doesn't look like it was nicked off your grandmother's mirror? ;0)

And how is the plinth made stiffer by reducing its area? If you moved the positions of the bearing and arm also then yes but just cutting an inch off an edge that's no doing anything anyway...

Who wants a lighter and stiffer plinth have to use a mechanically better material than the poor chipboard that the more you empty it, the more you weaken it.

I don't pay an extra price for an useless and unhaestetic frame. I want to pay for substancial reasons.
Substantial reasons like a better motor/power supply and tone arm? And that frame is specifically aesthetic, it seems like you’re really stretching out to be derogatory. Rega have always offered solid VFM with all products and that includes the P5... I’d be happier if the frame was the same as on a P25 because that really is lovely, but the P5 is a better sounding deck so that’s the one I have.

Regarding putting money into aesthetics, would you pay £2000 for a CD player that looked like a Tesco DVD player? It’s really natural for manufacturers to differentiate upmarket products from entry level items with things like real wood over a bit of vinyl or metal over plastic. It doesn’t matter how good a premium piece of kit costs, if it looks cheap, people will be put off by it.

Who wants a lighter and stiffer plinth have to use a mechanically better material than the poor chipboard that the more you empty it, the more you weaken it.

I know what you mean but you have to remember the context. Back I those days a lot of the materials in use today either didn't exist or the technology to exploit them cost effectively didn't. You have to look at the other turntables produced at the same time and how they've held up, or haven't, to see that Rega largely did pretty well. Most of the decks they built forty years ago are still in perfect working order and great condition today.

It doesn’t matter how good a premium piece of kit costs, if it looks cheap, people will be put off by it.

True. I struggled with the looks of RP10, it looks little different from a mid-range Rega. The bolt on plinths I actively dislike aesthetically. The solid wood ones aren't too bad but the sculpted painted ones? They might've looked at home in the seventies.

If one takes a closer look at the underside of the original P9 plinth above, one can easily observe the origins of the skeletal plinth of today.

The machined out areas weren't simply randomly selected.

I know what you mean but you have to remember the context. Back I those days a lot of the materials in use today either didn't exist or the technology to exploit them cost effectively didn't. You have to look at the other turntables produced at the same time and how they've held up, or haven't, to see that Rega largely did pretty well. Most of the decks they built forty years ago are still in perfect working order and great condition today.

I've nothing to say about the entry level models. They are the best on the market today as years ago. What I'm not able to justify are the high priced models. I don't understand where is the the value that increases 10 times the price.

I didn't say that (i.e. fix your quotes).

The outer frame isn't there to stiffen anything, it keeps the traditional / expected / thinner looking overall dimensions whilst allowing a thicker plinth to be both stiffer and lighter due to it containing a number of cavities, à la P9 plinth, that reduce mass without commensurate loss of rigidity.

medium

Just to point out, as far as I'm aware, that's not a P9 Plinth (or at least not the mk2 version that I have with the larger surround). As far as I can tell, my P9 plinth is MDF. Also, the wooden surround on the P9 is actually hollow, with slots routed out to reduce weight.

I've nothing to say about the entry level models. They are the best on the market today as years ago. What I'm not able to justify are the high priced models. I don't understand where is the the value that increases 10 times the price.

I understand but it's the same with any brand. The RP10 doesn't sound ten times as good as an entry Rega but what can you say? Welcome to the world of Hi-Fi. Would you rather pay thirty grand for a top LP12?

Just to point out, as far as I'm aware, that's not a P9 Plinth (or at least not the mk2 version that I have with the larger surround). As far as I can tell, my P9 plinth is MDF. Also, the wooden surround on the P9 is actually hollow, with slots routed out to reduce weight.
It's the original P9 plinth.

I understand but it's the same with any brand. The RP10 doesn't sound ten times as good as an entry Rega but what can you say? Welcome to the world of Hi-Fi. Would you rather pay thirty grand for a top LP12?
Absolutely NO! I'm proud to keep my PL12s free from the endless row of new bits. I alway think and reason keeping in mind the rule of the diminishing return and this is true for the Rega products as well.

advertisement

Back