Votes: 8 7.9%
  • RP8/Planar 8

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • RP10/Planar 10

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • Planet/P1/RP1

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
I wouldn't say so. In the eighties there was no 'range', only two turntables and the Planar3 was the best turntable that Rega made. So for Rega, the Planar3/RB300 was cutting edge at that time. Today it's closer to entry level than it is to the top.
My post wasn't about the Planar 3 of the 80s. I didn't mention build either which of course has evolved. It was about price point and positioning since the early 2000s. Although, as I said earlier, inflation adjusted, the current 3 sells for a little less than the 80s one did new, here in NZ.
The way I see it a Rega 3 is a Rega 3 is a Rega 3. Each incarnation has represented a similar price point and place in the range since the early 2000s.

Thanks! So much for my homemade theory on 'dead' platters then ;)

I think the only differences between the Planar 2 & 3 of the seventies, eighties and nineties was the tonearm and platter thickness the 2 used the RB250 and 10mm platter the 3 the RB300 & 12mm platter, I think the TTs were identical.

Happy to be corrected here, but I seem to recall the Planar 2's platter being thinner than the 3's.

Now that you mention it, I seem to recollect that the platter on my previous Planar 3 was indeed thicker than on the Planar 2 I have now... this is just from memory, though, and I could easily be wrong.

I think the only differences between the Planar 2 & 3 of the seventies, eighties and nineties was the tonearm and platter thickness the 2 used the RB250 and 10mm platter the 3 the RB300 & 12mm platter, I think the TTs were identical.
I think the 2's plinth was thinner, and may not have been laminated on the bottom. Again, happy to be corrected! It was a long time ago.

IIRC the 80's Planar 2 had a 10mm platter whereas the Planar 3 was 12mm.

Seem to remember the plinth being thinner too but not certain on that one.

I actually voted for the P5. I’ve had several Planar 3s and an RP3 (bought for my daughter), the original is an excellent deck which gets the fundamental things right (clear, uncluttered and even handed performance), and I appreciate it’s historical importance, the RP3 builds upon that, adding some refinement and the ability to add an electronic power supply. The P5 (of which I’ve had two), takes it to another level, revealing a wide and deep soundstage and greater detail and texture... and you can pick them up for bargain prices, I paid £450 for my current one, it’s worth that for the tone arm alone, which is an absolute gem and spanks any modded RB250/300 variant.
I've seen P5s come up for sale and hummed and hawwed and ultimately backed off. You make a good case for purchasing, but I doubt I'd get the best out of it within my modest system. My amplifier is an A60 and its phono stage is not a world beater. I don't have an optimum listening area, either. My beautiful vintage 3 with upgraded Rega parts does a pleasing enough job of playing records.

I think the 2's plinth was thinner, and may not have been laminated on the bottom. Again, happy to be corrected! It was a long time ago.

No, that is correct. Most of the 2s I've seen are not laminated on the bottom and it is a problem. Over time the underside absorbs moisture, swells and the plinth warps.

Earlier in this thread I wrote that my preference for the (classic) Planar 2 over the (classic) Planar 3 might be due to the 3's more 'dead' glass platter. So home I went to take a good look at my trusty old Planar 2 - and lo and behold: My Planar 2 has a glass platter! Is/was that standard with the Planar 2, or do I have some kind of mix between a 2 and 3...?

I was about to post a protest, my 90'ies Planar 2 certainly have a glass platter.
I think Planar 3 had a 12mm, Planar 2 a 10mm.

AFAIK Rega have always used glass platters with the exception of the newer P1/RP1 and the ceramic platters used in their top models, 2's & 3's have always used glass.

Not true, I had an older Planar 2 (around year 2001-2003 IIRC) - definitive not glassplatter.

Not true, I had an older Planar 2 (around year 2001-2003 IIRC) - definitive not glassplatter.
The P2/2000 had a silver painted MDF platter, there was another version that came slightly later with a larger chamfered black painted MDF platter.

I've seen P5s come up for sale and hummed and hawwed and ultimately backed off. You make a good case for purchasing, but I doubt I'd get the best out of it within my modest system. My amplifier is an A60 and its phono stage is not a world beater. I don't have an optimum listening area, either. My beautiful vintage 3 with upgraded Rega parts does a pleasing enough job of playing records.
It’s an excellent deck and a genuine step up from a Planar 3, mine is helped along with a Groove Tracer reference sub platter and a Neo PSU, it would take a Planar 8 to better it.

The P2/2000 had a silver painted MDF platter, there was another version that came slightly later with a larger chamfered black painted MDF platter.

There have been so many variations of turntables with the same or similar names it's almost impossible to identify them that way.

And then there are the various Record Store Day specials which were hybrids. RP1/P1's with some elements of P2 or P3?

Apologies, I was referring the the 80's and 90's Rega 2 & 3 TTs , I see looking on Regas timeline/history that they have used aluminium & steel, aluminium, HDF, MDF, Phenolic Resin and a couple a off different ceramic platters along with a few different glass platters.

Earlier in this thread I wrote that my preference for the (classic) Planar 2 over the (classic) Planar 3 might be due to the 3's more 'dead' glass platter. So home I went to take a good look at my trusty old Planar 2 - and lo and behold: My Planar 2 has a glass platter! Is/was that standard with the Planar 2, or do I have some kind of mix between a 2 and 3...?
The original Planar 2 had a 10 mm glass platter, thinner than the Planar 3 at 12 mm. It also had a thicker mat than the Planar 3.

There have been so many variations of turntables with the same or similar names it's almost impossible to identify them that way.

Ditto that. Granted I lost touch with all things hifi for close to 20 years but I go into headscratching mode whenever the Rega lineup is mentioned.

That said it's great to see them still going strong and showing other manufacturers how to treat their customers. Kudos to them.

Ditto that. Granted I lost touch with all things hifi for close to 20 years but I go into headscratching mode whenever the Rega lineup is mentioned.

Not very coherent. Those of us who are old farts will remember when they couldn't even make up their mind on the colour their logo should be. Could be black, white, green, red who knows. Not Rega!

advertisement

Back