advertisement

Your old records rescued. Brand new records made

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

A shame its not a real quote, it's too delish not to use here

I don't believe anyone undertands quantum mechanics. We can use it and apply it but not understand it. Its a crazy world at the quantum-level. Even the creator of the theory Einstein said: "As I have said so many times, God doesn't play dice with the world."

Cheers,

DV

I do love listening to Feynman though, (to whom the quote is attributed) in the end it all becomes a glorious jumble of poetry snatches understood then fleetingly list then new things grasped them lost, I am left a bit aphasiac by the experience and have to real desire to learn because I have no pretensions to be a physicist, but its a joy to listen to anyway.
A brilliant, mischievous and wonderful mind. These people make me feel good about our future because its possible to look deeper than we can imagine.

Technically best in what way, specifications?

It allows for a more accurate reproduction of a recording due to less distortion.

But loads and loads of people prefer vinyl.

So, what's the issue? If you prefer vinyl so be it. If you prefer digital so be it. Some people love both.

What's wrong with accepting vinyls technical inferiority whilst enjoying the superior sound that you find it gives?

It allows for a more accurate reproduction of a recording due to less distortion.

But loads and loads of people prefer vinyl.

So, what's the issue? If you prefer vinyl so be it. If you prefer digital so be it. Some people love both.

What's wrong with accepting vinyls technical inferiority whilst enjoying the superior sound that you find it gives?

Nothing, it is superior.

Digital is technically better than vinyl, fact!

What sounds best is a matter of opinion.

Actually it is not technically better.
No matter how many times you sample an "analogue" waveform it will never equal the original analogue waveform.
There is not enough information in the "digital words" to describe what is accurately happening.

No matter how many times you sample an "analogue" waveform it will never equal the original analogue waveform.

No matter how many times you record a waveform using an analog format, it will never equal the original waveform.

In one case you reproduce (inexactly) the sound pressure variations as an approximate electric, magnetic or mechanic reproduction, and in the other as a continuous waveform that is being represented as digital numbers.

How long before somebody will mention "staircase" or "steps"?

Actually it is not technically better.

Actually, it is.

Let's see...

Linearity/distortion - vinyl, 0.5 % THD on a good day, digital - 0.001 %
Dynamic range / SNR - vinyl, 70 dB on a really good day, digital > 100 dB
Wow and flutter - shall we even go there? :)

Any more parameters you would like to compare?

Actually, it is.

Let's see...

Linearity/distortion - vinyl, 0.5 % THD on a good day, digital - 0.001 %
Dynamic range / SNR - vinyl, 70 dB on a really good day, digital > 100 dB
Wow and flutter - shall we even go there? :)

Any more parameters you would like to compare?

I am talking about reproduction of music not technical specification.

Listen to "Chasing the Dragon" (CD or LP) where recording engineer Mike Valentine records a number of acoustic recordings using Nagra's top digital recorder and then a couple of tracks using a 25 year old Studer analogue tape machine. The recordings using the Studer are clearly and audibly better...

I am talking about reproduction of music not technical specification.

Ah, forgive me for thinking

technically better

actually meant technically better.

Listen to "Chasing the Dragon" (CD or LP) where recording engineer Mike Valentine records a number of acoustic recordings using Nagra's top digital recorder and then a couple of tracks using a 25 year old Studer analogue tape machine. The recordings using the Studer are clearly and audibly better...

Let me fix that for you:

The recordings using the Studer sound audibly better to me...

So, you prefer the sound of the Studer machine to the Nagra. That still doesn't really say anything about whether analog is better or worse than digital in a general.

Records are out of this world. Well, the Voyager records are.

If extraterrestrial life ever comes across those LPs I hope Maxlor and Julfkon set the inhabitants of Subjector Prime III straight about which format is better.

Joe

If extraterrestrial life ever comes across those LPs I hope Maxlor and Julfkon set the inhabitants of Subjector Prime III straight about which format is better.

The problem is that extraterrestrial life might not have fingers or toes, so they might not have digital. Now, is tentacular better than analog or not?

Julf,

The inhabitants of Subjector Prime III don't have tentacles or digits. They do have testicles, and I understand they prefer a ballsy sound, which obviously suggests analogue.

Joe

A lot of music recorded in days gone by with analogue tape is the best sounding stuff in my collection. However, I am listening via a DAC when making this assessment.

Also, I've heard reel-to-reel sound clearly superior to a DAC. Afterward I found out the reel-to-reel was a recording of the digital files.

It may be there is something with our current model of flapping-membrane-in-mic-capsule-into-amp-into-flapping-membrane-in-speaker-in-room which is just not right psychoacoustically, and a bit of analogue adjustment in the middle corrects what is wrong, making it sound more like the real thing. (Or it could be related to limitations of present replay equipment in absolute terms - listening to digital on a good pair of headphones might be an education to some.)

That's not the same as saying analogue preserves something mysterious in an electrical signal, that digital never can. I don't believe that. It became even less believable once I understood the true principles of digital audio ... it's far more analogue in nature than I thought. The main key is understanding the samples are intended to be infinitely small points in time on a perfect curve. In that sense digital audio deals with - i.e. assumes as input, represents internally and tries to output - waveforms that are infinitely smooth, ironically in principle smoother than any physical waveform in a magnetic tape or vinyl groove!

However, I've not heard every TT out there. I've tried many times to hear the superiority of records but so far I've not had the epiphany. All this is my present personal take on the matter and I'm happy to be proved wrong.

advertisement

Back