advertisement

Your old records rescued. Brand new records made

I read the Kickstarter post with my digital cynicism filter switched to high, not because of the conversion to digital which will no doubt be in a hi resolution format and not the original 16 bit as CD, but because of the rather low start up costs, and the unspecified or even estimated cost of a copy. If the LP is copied over in real time then the time per disc will be at least twice the album time plus the digital processing time, so for a 30 minute album this will be say 1hr 10 min, the machines will need to be supervised and amortised so you could expect the hourly charge to be around £40 plus VAT, similar to a local jobbing garage. If a half speed service is offered then double the cost per disc.

Then there is the question of what equipment is used to read the original LP, as far as I know the cheapest air bearing tonearm costs $4000+ add to that the cost of shipping, import duties and VAT plus compressor, air tanks and filters. A good turntable would cost maybe another £10,000 and a cartridge maybe £3000, or am I wrong and the quality of the replay can be taken care of in the digital domain with an algorithm that gets rid of end of side distortion and corrects for shortcoming in the response of the cartridge.

Any evidence to support that statement, or should we just assume what you really are saying is "I can hear the difference but have no idea if anyone else will hear it too"?

There has been quite some evidence against your statement, starting with that classic Ivor Tiefenbrun example.

In my system blind ABX I can tell the difference between vinyl and a recording I made of the same....but then perhaps all DACs are not the same?

It is too much trouble.

Well done; this never ending attack on anyone who doesn't share a certain narrow set of beliefs is so tedious. Whatever equipment and methodology you put forward, you will continue to be harassed; no amount of evidence will ever be enough......

The interesting part is not really your kit, but your test setup, control procedures and statistical significance of the results.

Can you post yours to show that recorded vinyl is the same as the original when replayed back through digital equipment , just for completeness.

Well done; this never ending attack on anyone who doesn't share a certain narrow set of beliefs is so tedious. Whatever equipment and methodology you put forward, you will continue to be harassed; no amount of evidence will ever be enough......

What gets me is the constant requirement for proof without any from the other party, apart from links to 'expert comments'.

It's like the ghost of Serge in digital form has returned to say 'prove it' at every comment. Julf and Max just launch hand grenades into pfm and sit back and enjoy the ride, annoying to say the least; Max hasn't even heard a turntable and yet he knows digital is better.......blinkered.

I went to a huge amount of trouble with the NAIM ABX just to convince myself and others that all amps do not sound the same, perhaps I should do a vinyl v digitally recorded and replayed ABX test?

What gets me is the constant requirement for proof without any from the other party, apart from links to 'expert comments'.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

If I claimed that 2 + 2 = 5, I suppose there would be a bit more need for evidence compared to me stating that 2 + 2 = 4, right?

Julf and Max just launch hand grenades into pfm and sit back and enjoy the ride, annoying to say the least

Sorry, but I have actually provided links to peer-reviewed material a number of times, and at others provided statements that can be easily verified.

I went to a huge amount of trouble with the NAIM ABX just to convince myself and others that all amps do not sound the same, perhaps I should do a vinyl v digitally recorded and replayed ABX test?

Actually a great idea that I definitely support.

In my system blind ABX I can tell the difference between vinyl and a recording I made of the same....but then perhaps all DACs are not the same?

That would be an interesting experiment to do. Of more value than my suggestion to do it with a multi layered a to d and d to a section to try to amplify any changes.

I didn't conduct ABX testing just had a range of people hear the system in both guises over a period of weeks.

[yoda]Convince yourself you do, now move on
Convince others, do not try, (unless research funded, is)[/yoda]

advertisement

Back