advertisement

Your old records rescued. Brand new records made

And the simple hassle of format shifting, the least path of resistance... Many here have 1000s of records... They are not going anywhere,mthey are there you can just carry on changing cartridges and adding shelves rather than have a year zero and embrace the zeitgeist with a Fahrenheit 451 moment -- the former is far more normal and humane, trusting something that works... people may not stick with vinyl because of ideology but because its comfy. Even despite the discomfort of having piles of stuff gathering dust, a record player and a pile of records is as comforting as an old friend coming to see you instead of a Skype call.

Everyone should know I'm far more a 'digital' person than a 'vinyl' person, but our Clearaudio decks do sound superb ;)

Steve Hoffman says differently about digital..., and pretty-much slates DSD/SACD.

It's all food for thought :)

Peter

Because the best digital convertors are of no use when the task at hand is the replay of a given analogue tape?

I have said this before, but will repeat once more ... (please take not that every word counts):

1) the concept of stereophonic recording for reproduction over two speakers in a domestic environment is fundamentally and deeply flawed. Generally speaking, the listening won't consistently be moved to the recording venue. Nor will the musicians consistently appear in the living room. The notion of 'fidelity' and 'transparency' is, ultimately, bollox. As such, some deviations from a notional transparency in the chain result in making the replayed sound more palatable to many listeners.

2) should one be able to totally and utterly perfect the turntable/arm/cartridge system (and Frank can imagine what would go into this), then I predict that most vinyl adepts would hate its sound.

3) should one be able to totally and utterly perfect digital then the result would sound totally unlike what most consider 'analogue' sound.

....4).... should one be able to totally and utterly perfect digital then the result would sound pretty much the same as what we have already (assuming that we are stuck with 1))
?

Everyone should know I'm far more a 'digital' person than a 'vinyl' person, but our Clearaudio decks do sound superb ;)

Steve Hoffman says differently about digital..., and pretty-much slates DSD/SACD.

It's all food for thought :)

Peter

I note on that thread, Steve admits he masters LP, CD and SACD slightly differently. There doesn't seem much point to the suggestion to compare the reverb tails of the album on the various formats, if this is the case.

I have a preference for a certain type of medium and the playback equipment required to listen to that medium, but nerdy audiophooly discussions aside about which is best technically or sonically, it seems to me that if the point of audio kit is to listen to music you shouldn't be limiting your choices by slavishly sticking only to your favourite medium.

So, I will always have a turntable, a CD player, and blu-ray thingy for Star Trek discs and, incidentally SACDs and DVD-As, and one day a DAC, so I can listen to files, high-res or not, off the interweb.

Joe

I think it is that some mistake a plausible illusion for fidelity, and convince themselves that it is the illusion that convinces them that is "right" and don't acknowledge all the bits of manipulation, deliberate and incidental, that exist to create that illusion.

It is not really a problem if you are just seeking a sound you like and leave it at that.
People don't always and there is a load of self-perpetuating bollox on forums. All it needs is a group of like minded people to spout the bollox and each of them can be self-justified in that their opinion is shared by many others. It is a completely circular thing.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for all your balanced input to this thread.

I have no experience of the recording side as pertains to audio (but do for aircraft and F1 cars which is very similar to yours) so it is interesting to hear of your experience of audio digital vs analogue processes.

Ian

Ian

Er, that is simply not true. And it has been explained to you on another thread.

Please, if you cannot be bothered to read up on how digital sampling works or cannot understand it, don't make a fool of yourself by spouting ill-informed opinion as fact.

Chris

My comment is perfectly true. I used to work in the Telecoms industry where we used PCM for long distance telephony. Digital technology in the audio chain has not changed much since the introduction of CD over 30 years ago. It was heavily criticised then for its mediocre performance compared to what was promised by Philips and Sony.

I know exactly how digital signalling processing works as I have designed and built a number of DACs. I understand how they work down to component level within the DAC IC itself and its associated circuit, that is how I know of its limitations.

advertisement

Back