advertisement

Yamaha NS1000M

ok well i think my amps ok,perhaps its not on par with your amps but hey ho.
i dont know the specs of my amp to be honest,its a john wood kt88.

@jamie123 How far from the back wall and floor are they? Dropping mine down 10-15cm made a big, positive, difference, and the bass is very good quality.

BTW, if you were living with your friend’s stand-mounts for a while and you may like what they do less.

hi,no first time ive heard them was today for about an hour.
i have mine 500 mm from the wall but thats to the front of the baffle,ive tried them closer but the soundstage closes in.

@jamie123 p.s. regards your friend’s speakers I meant that if you listened for a longer period you might discover that the bass they produce may be impressive, but not ultimately high quality.

I use a REL Studio III which seems to do the trick. Would like to have a go at bi-amping them with some sort of revised cross-over though

That’s essentially what I do but the bass is fully active - the crossover alignment is now third order for the bass driver. I also have a Rel sub, a Stadium but run at a very low level on its lowest crossover frequency.

ive just had a wake up call with my ns1000's we all know the bass is the weak point but a friends just brought over a pair of dynaudio bookshelf speakers for me to listen too and im shock at the bass these little speakers pump out! not only do they have more punch but they go deeper as well.
im gobsmacked!!

can the bass on the Yamahas be improved to a less embarrassed level?

Absolutely now't wrong with the bass on NS1000's , place them hard against the wall and feed them with lots of power . Bass will improve and the soundstage will open up . I use Yamaha's C4/M4 pre/power amps and have enough bass to annoy the neighbors :) .

They are a strange speaker , they appear to be a very easy load for an amplifier yet they thrive on power . I swap between a 30 w valve amp and the Yamaha combo and whilst the valve amp sounds lovely it's when the C4/M4 combo is put in that the speakers really shine .

Absolutely now't wrong with the bass on NS1000's , place them hard against the wall and feed them with lots of power . Bass will improve and the soundstage will open up . I use Yamaha's C4/M4 pre/power amps and have enough bass to annoy the neighbors :) .

They are a strange speaker , they appear to be a very easy load for an amplifier yet they thrive on power . I swap between a 30 w valve amp and the Yamaha combo and whilst the valve amp sounds lovely it's when the C4/M4 combo is put in that the speakers really shine .

Spot on about their response to amps that really control them.

Find a pair of 1000X and you’ll have no problems with bass. The X was the reinvention of the Ns1000 which overcame its shortcomings, ie lack of bass and the 12” carbon woofers don’t disappoint!

Find a pair of 1000X and you’ll have no problems with bass. The X was the reinvention of the Ns1000 which overcame its shortcomings, ie lack of bass and the 12” carbon woofers don’t disappoint!

which is it then? nowt wrong with bass or lack of bass :)

advertisement

Back