advertisement

Yamaha NS1000M

i had a nice eureka moment at the weekend,i was doing a lot of reading up on room treatment and stumbled on an old thread on here about using paving slabs under your speakers.
it just so happened i had 2 out on my balcony so i thought id give it a try. im very glad i did because its transformed the bass,it has really tightened it up and now i can hear clearly individual bass notes much better than before.
the bass in Pink Floyd 'another brick in the wall' which i play a lot suddenly has jumped out of hiding,another lp i use to set sra is flying fish hds701 featuring norman blake and tut talyor,there is a track called Sauerkraut 'N Solar Energy,there is a long upright bass solo at the beginning which now sounds so realistic it had me sit up and do a double take!

if anyone's using my stands under their ns1000's and has carpet id urge you to try it too,for reference the distance from the front wall to baffle is 495mm.

happy days!!

IMG_2268_1.jpg

Is it the slab, or the height?

Good question. When I moved mine from the tallish stands they came with to Jamie’s (much lower) stands I got a lot more bass. Lifting them even perhaps a little might reverse that with a subjective ‘tightening’ of the bass.

It’s all a bit tricky!

I don’t know what has had the effect, the user manual suggest getting the speaker to a height where the middle of the speaker is at ear level, perhaps this has made the difference?

Maybe, I'm more likely to believe that absolute positioning is a coarser control on how they sound than what they sit on.

I tried paving slabs a few years back and thought it completely ruined the sound... they were much bigger than those ones and speakers were KEF R105.3's.

I tried paving slabs a few years back and thought it completely ruined the sound... they were much bigger than those ones and speakers were KEF R105.3's.

All of my kit has spikey metallic stands on concrete slabs over a wooden suspended floor, Harbeth speakers. The sound I get is quite similar to that at a classical music concert. :)

I'm not sure NS1000's are fussy about what they sit on , the cabinets are so inert . I have noticed that when I got mine so the the mid driver was at ear level the drivers sounded better integrated .

well if it is all down to lifting them up 30mm its made a huge difference,who would have thunk it! :)
again for reference,the speakers are 1010mm high on the stands and the centre of the mid driver is 773mm high

well if it is all down to lifting them up 30mm its made a huge difference,who would have thunk it! :)

I found exactly the same thing after removing the spikes from a pair of Linn floorstanders and putting them on marble plinths. Net difference in height probably around 40mm, on a solid floor. Had I done it sooner I wouldn't have been dissatisfied with them and moved on. Since (unlike us obsessives) normal people don't tinker all the time, I did wonder how many thousands of expensive music systems out there are only delivering 75% of their potential.

ive just had a wake up call with my ns1000's we all know the bass is the weak point but a friends just brought over a pair of dynaudio bookshelf speakers for me to listen too and im shock at the bass these little speakers pump out! not only do they have more punch but they go deeper as well.
im gobsmacked!!

can the bass on the yamahas be improved to a less embarrassed level?

ive just had a wake up call with my ns1000's we all know the bass is the weak point but a friends just brought over a pair of dynaudio bookshelf speakers for me to listen too and im shock at the bass these little speakers pump out! not only do they have more punch but they go deeper as well.
im gobsmacked!!

can the bass on the yamahas be improved to a less embarrassed level?

Yes, they could be ported. I've modelled it and can't see any negatives because the port tuning frequency could be low enough not to affect anything apart from an increase in bass.

advertisement

Back