advertisement

Wot no Harry & Meghan thread?

That would be very difficult to establish, there’s all the VIP security for a start but the same squad look after MPs etc. You have to bear in mind their incomes from inherited land, is that Royal or not? It’s like trying to account for a rescue of a lost mountaineer, where the RAF Mountain Rescue and a Nimrod were called out “at £10,000 an hour”. Well yes, but if it hadn’t been for the lost hiker the Nimrod and the Team would probably have been in the air anyway doing an exercise where the scenario is a lost aircraft in mountainous terrain, etc. The same people go looking for civilian aircraft that go down, because guess what, it’s the same activity. It’s not as if they don’t cost anything when they aren’t on call out. My climbing rope costs me the same whether I am falling on it or it’s folded up in the spare room. Same goes for Sandringham, what do they do with it when Queenie's not there, run it as a holiday let?
Shouldn’t be too difficult to say, for example, how much of taxpayers money was spent on getting Fergies offspring to lavish parties and their protection while there.

Shouldn’t be too difficult to say, for example, how much of taxpayers money was spent on getting Fergies offspring to lavish parties and their protection while there.
Of itself no, but this is like the figure on the bus, taken in isolation it's worthless. I know what my house insurance bill is but the potential benefits are large if I have a fire. Now in the case of Fergie's lot then yes, it probably is easier, since it's a pretty safe bet that they bring SFA into the Exchequer. However the family as a group do bring in tourists, so they have a revenue. Splitting this out would be complex.

Some open accounting of what the monarchy costs in total would be nice too? How much? Where does it go?
True. Not going to lie. I'm no fan of the monarchy and would have the referendum Clive Lewis proposed.
Accept it's not going to happen and that there's still overwhelming support for the Royal Family.

Of itself no, but this is like the figure on the bus, taken in isolation it's worthless. I know what my house insurance bill is but the potential benefits are large if I have a fire. Now in the case of Fergie's lot then yes, it probably is easier, since it's a pretty safe bet that they bring SFA into the Exchequer. However the family as a group do bring in tourists, so they have a revenue. Splitting this out would be complex.
Do they? The House of Versailles manages to bring in 10m visitors a year without a King or Queen for generations. Compare that with Tourist figures for our royal hotspots

49429019041_0e25259da2_b.jpg

Last edited:
You've clearly made your mind up, which is fine. What I am saying is in response to your question about calculating costs, it's complex. The Royals raise tourist money. The extinct French Royals still do too, so what's the relevant figure? There isn't one, is the answer. It's clear here that you've made your mind up regardless of what the numbers are, which as I say is fine by me. I'd like to see the Royals considerably cut down too, FWIW. But so what? The majority of the UK public don't, for whatever reason, and an accounting sheet isn't going to change their mind any more than I could change yours by pointing out a continuous stream of Chinese tourists stepping out of coaches in Windsor for a selfie outside the castle.

well yes, that's a big part of it. with monarchy, you get the psychological reward (righlty or wrongly) of having aspirational social targets like that. when you identify with the royals, that increases you perception of self-worth. if there were no fancy outfits or lavish parties and it was all charity work in africa, not many would be interested in these people.

Just saw a nice example of royal pomposity. On the Sky website their royal correspondent announces that Harry and Megahn will no longer appear in the standard round of royal press conferences, instead when they have something to say they will "Reach out to journalists they trust." I mean what on earth is "reach out"? They'll just ring them up!

Just saw a nice example of royal pomposity. On the Sky website their royal correspondent announces that Harry and Megahn will no longer appear in the standard round of royal press conferences, instead when they have something to say they will "Reach out to journalists they trust." I mean what on earth is "reach out"? They'll just ring them up!

Its more business bullshit bingo wording I'd say. We get it all the time at work. No-one say they will call someone, it is always "reach out".

Reactions: vuk

Not defending them, but the term 'reach out' is used everywhere these days and it boils my piss with its triteness and patronising overtones.

Its more business bullshit bingo wording I'd say. We get it all the time at work. No-one say they will call someone, it is always "reach out".

So if your bathroom is leaking you reach out to a plumber? Sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Jeez you guys are sensitive little flowers. While I don't employ management speak myself it doesn't particularly annoy me. It's the clueless MBA "superstars" who wreck companies and livelihoods and sail off into an index linked sunset that boil my blood. The company I spent 15 years building up has been driven completely into the ground by an acquiring multinational full of managers who can do a snazzy powerpoint but don't understand the first thing about our product or market.

At counter

Can I GET a latte fraptossacino?

No, but you may order one. We will then get it for you. It's our job..

Jeez you guys are sensitive little flowers. While I don't employ management speak myself it doesn't particularly annoy me. It's the clueless MBA "superstars" who wreck companies and livelihoods and sail off into an index linked sunset that boil my blood. The company I spent 15 years building up has been driven completely into the ground by an acquiring multinational full of managers who can do a snazzy powerpoint but don't understand the first thing about our product or market.

Some build up companies, others are sensitive little flowers. It takes all kinds to form the rich tapestry of life.

But, seriously, language is important because it reflects thought process and attitudes, indeed some say it is the other way around. So "reaching out" instead of just "calling" or "ringing up" is significant.

You've clearly made your mind up, which is fine. What I am saying is in response to your question about calculating costs, it's complex. The Royals raise tourist money. The extinct French Royals still do too, so what's the relevant figure? There isn't one, is the answer. It's clear here that you've made your mind up regardless of what the numbers are, which as I say is fine by me. I'd like to see the Royals considerably cut down too, FWIW. But so what? The majority of the UK public don't, for whatever reason, and an accounting sheet isn't going to change their mind any more than I could change yours by pointing out a continuous stream of Chinese tourists stepping out of coaches in Windsor for a selfie outside the castle.

advertisement

Back