advertisement

Witch Hat Audio ceases trading

I ordered a 4 metre pair of Phantom cable in early March 23 and I paid by visa debit. I chased up with a few emails to Josh, he assured me in April that I would receive an email with my dispatch date. What are the chances of getting the cable now? What comeback do I now have considering payment was made with visa debit? Any factual answers gratefully appreciated.

My understanding is that a debit card payment does not provide any statutory protection or claim back. BUT do read the terms and conditions of the bank issuing card on case they have some compensation option. Otherwise you can make a claim to the administrators and join the line of debtors waiting for any distribution.

I ordered a 4 metre pair of Phantom cable in early March 23 and I paid by visa debit. I chased up with a few emails to Josh, he assured me in April that I would receive an email with my dispatch date. What are the chances of getting the cable now? What comeback do I now have considering payment was made with visa debit? Any factual answers gratefully appreciated.

I only made this mistake once, it was with a hi-fi shop in Chester for £500 and I was told by Barclays, sorry there's nothing we can do, debit card payment is the same in law as cash, you have no recourse to a refund. That was a long time ago so hopefully something might have changed

@Micart59

Realistically you're never going to see those cables.

You should contact your card issuer which may be able to claim a refund via chargeback but your level of protection is less good than with credit cards and paypal. Nevertheless you should ask since if you don't ask nothing will happen.

I worked in the card payments software industry for 20yrs. I would never use a debit card for anything that I can’t walk away with or something that I’ve already received, like a car service. The only reason you can use them online is that many cannot get a credit card. If you can get a credit card get one and use it. It’s the only way you can be protected. If you can’t get a credit card, pay as small a deposit as you can get away with.

Try chargeback, it is not a statutory right but most banks agree to it.

Could anyone confirm that Witch Hat Servicing Limited has actually entered Administration or appointed an Insolvency Practitioner. Companies House doesn't show that they have. I could do with evidence to speed along my s75 refund for Spectres I paid for in September 2022. Thanks in advance.

Could anyone confirm that Witch Hat Servicing Limited has actually entered Administration or appointed an Insolvency Practitioner. Companies House doesn't show that they have. I could do with evidence to speed along my s75 refund for Spectres I paid for in September 2022. Thanks in advance.

Looks like witch hat servicing is still active but you could point them to witch hat limited which folded on 9th may

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07981354/filing-history

That isn't the same company!

The liquidators to that one were appointed in 2017, though it my well be a connected entity.

Oh the shady world of business where companies die and new ones of similar name spring up and carry on!

It will take a few days/weeks for companies house to catch up.

What entity, there is no company number on their website. The website is witchhatservicing, the name on the website is witch hat audio so who knows what they are using for trading.

I clearly said witch hat servicing is still trading but you could point them to other in case it helps them

What entity, there is no company number on their website. The website is witchhatservicing, the name on the website is witch hat audio so who knows what they are using for trading.

I clearly said witch hat servicing is still trading but you could point them to other in case it helps them

There is a company name and number on the website in the terms/conditions page - it's Witch Hat Servicing Limited (08880027). Witch Hat Limited was a connected party at one time (look at Companies House people records for both companies) but this had liquidators appointed in 2017 although was not formally wound up until 09/05/2023. I suspect Witch Hat Servicing Limited will show up as being in administration shortly on Companies House, but tit can take a while. If not then the statement on https://witchhatservicing.co.uk may well refer to Witch Hat Limited and therefore be effectively incorrect... doubt it though as can't see the gain for anyone in doing that.

I'd think twice using former WH employees, which must have known situation while taking peoples cash.
It wasn't a large company.
That’s a bit unfair unless you have evidence, employees are just as likely to have been unaware of issues as people who have lost money. Remember, a failing business still needs employees to carry on, staff would bail out if aware of the problems.
Orders were still being taken so I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions just yet.

advertisement

Back