advertisement

Winter election III

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Curtis said polling shows 75% of Brexit voters ( of any prior party allegiance) are going to vote Conservative. That’s very bad news for Labour I’m afraid- and that they’re prepared to vote for a Conservative government that would make even Margaret Hilda blush.

The Tory Party has been in power for the last 9 years. They have caused all those problems and many more. Why on earth would you believe Tory politicians in an election that they will reverse direction ?
Actually for all that I don't trust the Tories I suspect they will spend a few quid, nothing like enough or in all the right places of course .

First of all they need to buy some votes and disassociate themselves from their own legacy. Its akin to a thug holding your head underwater until you nearly pass out when suddenly they realise they need to keep you alive because you know the code for the safe, so brief moment of respite before having your head shoved down the bog again.

Any new spending will also be intended to divert our gaze from the disaster of brexit. They will need to make it look like it brings some prosperity.

I would add that as well as purging the party of half decent and principled moderates, and losing the support of a former Tory PM, they have received the endorsement of Tommy Robinson. Allow a moment for that to sink in.
Tim Martin too! Ex UKIP, Brexit Company and now Conservative Party donor to the tune of a £50,000 bung entitling him to easy access to the upper echelons of the Tory trough.

(No link yet but he confirmed this on the BBC this morning.)

Tim Martin too! Ex UKIP, Brexit Company and now Conservative Party donor to the tune of a £50,000 bung entitling him to easy access to the upper echelons of the Tory trough.

(No link yet but he confirmed this on the BBC this morning.)
Don’t get in your JCB after consuming cheap pints. Its easy to boycott Dyson and Wetherspoons but not so easy with JCB. Any ideas?

2697c10a4d6cab418c769ef496fc10d4dd516122.jpeg

A warning on what awaits us from Peter Oborne today https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/op...tive-heres-why-i-cant-vote-for-boris-johnson/

"The Conservatives have become a vehicle for well-drilled fanatics
"Whatever it takes" is now the motto in Downing Street
In this context, that means: Lie. Cheat. Bully. Threaten. Insult the monarchy. Be prepared to destroy the union. Drag the Queen into politics. Risk economic chaos and devastation. All legitimised by official permission to do "whatever it takes".
Brexit has mutated from a virtuous and even admirable attempt to reassert British sovereignty into a brutal assault on everything we stand for."

In the meantime page 48 of the Tory manifesto looms, and is not really talked about much. Betcha that’s not one of the lies.

What is it on page 48 that's so nasty? The only thing I can see a problem with there is "We will improve the use of data, data science and evidence in the process of government.", and I'd certainly like that better defined. It looks to be the only thing which could be taken as a threat to freedom — indeed the rest of the page seems to deal with the removal of such threats.

A combination of some of the more moderate Tories leaving the party plus knowing he can rely on at least some support from the hard-core Labour Brexit MP's on key issues probably means that's enough to either delivery the current shit-sandwich of a deal, or even no-deal.

Of course. Having extracted a promise from all his candidates, of all his policies, Brexit (as in leaving the EU, not necessarily what comes next) will now be the easiest for Johnson to get through. He could probably do it with a majority of one. Ten would certainly be enough. I don't believe Johnson wants no-deal, so it will be his deal we leave with.

What is it on page 48 that's so nasty? The only thing I can see a problem with there is "We will improve the use of data, data science and evidence in the process of government.", and I'd certainly like that better defined. It looks to be the only thing which could be taken as a threat to freedom — indeed the rest of the page seems to deal with the removal of such threats.

It's largely to do with context. When you've cut yourself and the nurse says, 'Here, I really need to take a look at that,' it's generally reassuring. When Count Dracula says the same thing, not so much.

I’m sorry, but this is just like voting for somebody who promises to take their foot off your neck.

Well yes, but the question I was responding to was what Tory policies would benefit the majority of people in the U.K., and no, I’m not so naive as to think they would necessarily be implemented.

It's largely to do with context. When you've cut yourself and the nurse says, 'Here, I really need to take a look at that,' it's generally reassuring. When Count Dracula says the same thing, not so much.
I haven’t read it lately, but there’s some arm-waving stuff about reworking the constitution and resetting the balance of power between the courts and the executive. Given that Johnson got a drubbing in the courts over the prorogation, and other things besides, it’s clear which way that ‘resetting’ is going to go. Be afraid.

Well yes, but the question I was responding to was what Tory policies would benefit the majority of people in the U.K., and no, I’m not so naive as to think they would necessarily be implemented.
Yes, I should probably have multi-quoted your reply with the post it replied to. But my point remains that it really isn’t a ‘benefit’ to have somebody stop doing something unpleasant to you. Especially if nobody else would have done it to you in the first place.

I had to do a double take when I saw this image of Farage speaking in Doncaster this morning.

....right everyone, Nigel will put his keys in the bowl first. Please note the jacuzzi is out of action owing to an earlier incident.
49203996777_58ce66462c_o.jpg
49204001232_7f71b3cfec_o.jpg

Sitting Bull..............................Standing Bullshit

Last edited:
I guess my point is that it is not possible to sit ‘only just to the right’ and embrace the Trumpian popularism, lies and deliberate misinformation of Johnson’s alt-right rebranding of the Conservative party. When you have genuinely decent folk like Heidi Allen, Sarah Woolaston, Rory Stewart etc deserting the party in droves, folk like Dominic Grieve purged, and ex-grandees such as Major, Hestletine etc publicly asking folk to vote Lib Dem it really is time to realise this is no longer the party it once was. It can now only be viewed as a fusion of elite disaster capitalism, entitlement and the ugly white ethnic nationalism of Windrush, Grenfell and the ‘hostile environment’. It is just not a decent party anymore.

PS I should also point out that in no way am I a Corbyn fan as any review of my posts will prove. I just feel the white ethnic nationalism of the now ERG-owned Tories is actually far, far more dangerous that anything the inept Corbyn could burp up from 1972! I am also not attempting to force folk like you from the site. I just won’t host smears from the hard-right, which you almost certainly aren’t.

I think that sometimes you have a real problem with words and their perceived meaning, and sometimes (in my opinion) a lack of perspective. When you took down Bob A's post, you took precisely the same attitude as the People's Front of Judea would have, had they witnessed the "apart from the aqueducts" exchange. Which, of course, you have an absolute right to do – it's your lawn, after all. The quote above is reasoned, but your previous, rather foam-flecked (if I may so) responses on this action do lean into teenage Citizen Smith territory; indeed, the only Che-poster-level buzz-phrase you've ommitted to use is the "running-dog" one, unless I'm mistaken. Above all, I don't think anyone should refer to anyone else as 'fascist' unless they actually know what that means, or have an awareness of how confused it can make the speaker appear. To illustrate this, here are some key points of a historical party manifesto. You'll have no trouble finding its origin:

* The creation of Europe a Nation through a common European government.
* The creation of an elected European parliament.
* The continuation of national parliaments with their authority limited to social and cultural matters.
* Economics to be driven by the wage-price mechanism to ensure fair wages and economic growth.
* The withdrawal of American and Soviet forces from Europe.
* Decolonization with a move to set up single-ethnic governments in former colonies.
* Europe to be defined as mainland territory outside of the USSR, the United Kingdom, overseas territories and around one-third of Africa.

Broadly, that lot would have gained the support of your entire Tory wet-list of "genuinely decent folk" above. Now who's the fascist?

I think that sometimes you have a real problem with words and their perceived meaning, and sometimes (in my opinion) a lack of perspective. When you took down Bob A's post, you took precisely the same attitude as the People's Front of Judea would have, had they witnessed the "apart from the aqueducts" exchange. Which, of course, you have an absolute right to do – it's your lawn, after all. The quote above is reasoned, but your previous, rather foam-flecked (if I may so) responses on this action do lean into teenage Citizen Smith territory; indeed, the only Che-poster-level buzz-phrase you've ommitted to use is the "running-dog" one, unless I'm mistaken. Above all, I don't think anyone should refer to anyone else as 'fascist' unless they actually know what that means, or have an awareness of how confused it can make the speaker appear. To illustrate this, here are some key points of a historical party manifesto. You'll have no trouble finding its origin:

* The creation of Europe a Nation through a common European government.
* The creation of an elected European parliament.
* The continuation of national parliaments with their authority limited to social and cultural matters.
* Economics to be driven by the wage-price mechanism to ensure fair wages and economic growth.
* The withdrawal of American and Soviet forces from Europe.
* Decolonization with a move to set up single-ethnic governments in former colonies.
* Europe to be defined as mainland territory outside of the USSR, the United Kingdom, overseas territories and around one-third of Africa.

Broadly, that lot would have gained the support of your entire Tory wet-list of "genuinely decent folk" above. Now who's the fascist?
You tell them from what they do....not what they say to get elected. Just like now.

I’m still suffering the cognitive dissonance of @bob atherton saying he is a Fender Jazz player in his sig, but that’s a Rickenbacker in his AV.

Oh go on, I have to respond to this one...

OK, I was for about 30 years exclusively a Rickenbacker player, mostly 4001's but the odd 4000.

I then had a bit of a Road To Damascus moment whilst trying out a Fender Jazz. Almost overnight all (about 10 of them) Rickenbackers went and in came a clutch of Jazz Basses.

I've now discovered my new love which is a 35" scale Sandberg Grand Dark bass. I still use the Jazzes as well, it all depends on the band/gig.

I must get around to changing my photo thingy. The bass in the photo was the very first Rickenbacker V63 ever made that I bought from the bassist of Sham 69. He got it in the states whilst on tour.

I feel I'm on safe ground talking about basses... ! x

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back