advertisement

Windows 11 has arrived

Your second para seems potentially plausible to me. But I confess that as a non-Doze person I'm a tad puzzled by an OS that renders CPUs 'sightly less stable'.

Have the normal binary logic functions like AND, NOR, etc, now been supplimented with new ones like MAYBE, WHY-NOT-AS-ITS-POETS-DAY, etc?

Here's the post.

There's some dodgy use of stats IMO. For example:

"Devices that do not meet the minimum system requirements had 52% more kernel mode crashes. Devices that do meet the minimum system requirements had a 99.8% crash free experience."

A casual reading is that you see 99.8% vs 52%, huge. But they are measuring different things. We are not told what percentage of these non-conforming systems had a "crash free experience", plus for all we know crashes might be because of actual faults such as overheating - more common on older kit because of things like vents blocked by dust and failing fans. This sort of sleight of hand makes me thing the second reason was more significant.

Tim

Well as an update I have reverted to windows 10. Navigating the explorer became worse and worse until barely usable. Thankfully there are various threads on reddit etc so not just me but there is no advantages to windows 11 for me that would make the explorer speed bearable.
I was tempted to do a clean in stall of win 11, but I cant be arsed if it goes wrong again!

Well as an update I have reverted to windows 10. Navigating the explorer became worse and worse until barely usable. Thankfully there are various threads on reddit etc so not just me but there is no advantages to windows 11 for me that would make the explorer speed bearable.
I was tempted to do a clean in stall of win 11, but I cant be arsed if it goes wrong again!

Likewise. You can't even move the taskbar to the edge of the screen.
Might be better when it's finished...

Likewise. You can't even move the taskbar to the edge of the screen.
Might be better when it's finished...
  • Right-click on the taskbar and click on “Taskbar settings.”
  • Select “Taskbar behaviors.”
  • Look for “Taskbar alignment” and click on the button on the right where it says “Center.” Select “Left” instead.

• Right-click on the taskbar and click on “Taskbar settings.”
  • Select “Taskbar behaviors.”
  • Look for “Taskbar alignment” and click on the button on the right where it says “Center.” Select “Left” instead.

That just moves the buttons within the bar. You can't move the whole bar to the side (or top) of the screen.

That just moves the buttons within the bar. You can't move the whole bar to the side (or top) of the screen.
At the minute most folk are better off sticking with 10 imho

A Reg hack moves the entire bar

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MMStuckRects3

5th value from left change 03
  • 00: Taskbar on the left side of the screen.
  • 01: Taskbar on the top of the screen.
  • 02: Taskbar on the right side of the screen.
  • 03: Taskbar on the bottom of the screen.

My HP laptop has just installed W11. There are lots of things about the look that I don't really like, but I suppose that's just the novelty and unfamiliarity of it; compared with 10 which is nice and crisp, the icons, task bar and start panel all seem a bit fuzzy and Fisher-Price "My First Computerish". In particular, the task bar is too big; under 10 I had it set to small icons, which is far neater.

I understand that there's a 10 day window (Ha ! :D) during which you can go back to 10 quite painlessly, but after which you have to do a clean 10 install, because Windows automatically deletes the old data to save space. I want to avoid that.

There's a folder called windows.old. If I copy that off the C drive to a USB, or even the D drive, will that preserve my option of going back, should I so decide ?

Edit: It seems faster than W10, though.

Google the below info for more detailed explanations.

To extend the uninstall window from 10 to 60 days you can elevate a CMD (run as Admin) and run 2 commands

DISM /Online /Get-OSUninstallWindow

image-6.jpg

DISM /Online /Set-OSUninstallWindow /Value:60

You can change the value from anywhere between 10 to 60 days.

My HP laptop has just installed W11. There are lots of things about the look that I don't really like, but I suppose that's just the novelty and unfamiliarity of it; compared with 10 which is nice and crisp, the icons, task bar and start panel all seem a bit fuzzy and Fisher-Price "My First Computerish". In particular, the task bar is too big; under 10 I had it set to small icons, which is far neater.

I understand that there's a 10 day window (Ha ! :D) during which you can go back to 10 quite painlessly, but after which you have to do a clean 10 install, because Windows automatically deletes the old data to save space. I want to avoid that.

There's a folder called windows.old. If I copy that off the C drive to a USB, or even the D drive, will that preserve my option of going back, should I so decide ?

Edit: It seems faster than W10, though.
You can roll back within 10 days but you may have to reinstall some applications and programs see here https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/how-to/uninstall-windows-11

This is why I always recommend making an image backup from within Windows before upgrading. This image can then be rolled back using Windows restore. Its called 'backup and restore (Windows 7)' in the Control Panel>System & Security.

Cheers,

DV

The look and feel of Win 11 reminds me of Android.

Cheers,

DV

I've just installed the ARM version of Win 11 on Parallels so that I can run a windows programme on my MBA, surprisingly easy and the windows programme that I use downloaded and installed really quickly and actually works albeit it doesn't save the data when you close the programme so I'm having to restore the data from a back up which isn't ideal but isn't a big deal either.

Windows 11 just seem very similar to Windows 10 to me.

So why bother for now?
I’m going to test it soon but feedbacks aren’t that good. No work with 11 then.

Windows 11 just seem very similar to Windows 10 to me.

I think that is the idea. All of the changes are internal. The UI is just a first cut. Everything that people think is missing will come along at some point - virtually everything is trivial so there was no reason not to release it now.

I do not have a single thing that would stop me using it.

advertisement

Back