advertisement

Windows 11 has arrived

The stated reason is that these 7th gen CPUs proved slightly less stable with Windows 11, among those testing the preview.

It is also widely believed that Microsoft was under pressure from hardware vendors to force a hardware upgrade cycle. Windows 10 runs on almost anything so they haven't had this for a while.

Tim

Your second para seems potentially plausible to me. But I confess that as a non-Doze person I'm a tad puzzled by an OS that renders CPUs 'sightly less stable'.

Have the normal binary logic functions like AND, NOR, etc, now been supplimented with new ones like MAYBE, WHY-NOT-AS-ITS-POETS-DAY, etc?

CPUs do have bugs, but that doesn’t mean that’s the explanation.

As someone who worked on an OS release in the past, I’m going to guess that this is more about testing resources. Microsoft are probably pretty sure Windows 11 works just fine on older CPUs, but the thing is... if it doesn’t and one of their major enterprise clients sues them over it, they need to show that they made an effort to test it before release.

You cannot test everything, and there are now three platforms to deal with (ARM, Intel, AMD), each with their own quirks. Windows 11 is a free upgrade for older users, so there’s no revenue to offset that cost (for new systems, the motherboard vendors and PC makers do a lot of the testing). That limits how broad the testing can be.

Unlike Apple (where I was), Microsoft can’t just open up a spreadsheet and see every system configuration their old OS is running on: Windows is expected to work with every possible configuration of each supported chipset, including some that Microsoft’s engineers will never have seen. It’s a credit to the industry’s efforts at standardisation that any of this stuff works so well at all, but there will always be some oddball system that trips up (and that goes for Linux too).

Windows 11 has considerable changes to its kernel, much more than any release since Windows 7. Those changes are needed to support the next generation of CPUs with a mix of high- and low-performance (=low power) cores, but some may have negatively affected performance on older systems.

I do expect that as time goes on, those issues will be resolved for popular older CPUs, but right now, the priority is on the people who would actually buy the OS: new PC owners, and people who are likely to buy a new PC.

Maybe its the VM, within a VM, within a VM inception got it confused?

59500368.jpg

I have the year 2007 on the phone. Apparently it wants its meme back...

Oh good, another version of Widows. It's just what we need. It will be so much better than all the myriad previous version of Windows and I can barely contain my exitement.

Last edited:
Sad man that I am I'm tempted to try one of the "hacks" to get windows 11 on my surface pro when it says it cannot run it just to spite MS.

Cutting off one's nose despite one's face comes to mind however so for those of you that have upgraded, is it worth it?
What will I get above and beyond Win 10 from Win 11?
Or is it just a prettier skin?

.sjb

Sad man that I am I'm tempted to try one of the "hacks" to get windows 11 on my surface pro when it says it cannot run it just to spite MS.

Cutting off one's nose despite one's face comes to mind however so for those of you that have upgraded, is it worth it?

.sjb
If Windows is your everyday OS then its worth getting to grips with it now as it'll have a much longer supported life cycle than 10. Then if you have to buy a new machine for whatever reason in a few years time it will be a smooth(er) transition.

As for is it worth it. In the long run yes as all new development of apps you use will be available but as with every new release of an OS things move around and the experience is a little different.

Make an image backup of your Win 10 installation first as an insurance.

Cheers,

DV

This hack makes installation on a windows rejected machine dead easy. My old mess about with Lenovo T420 is now on 11 and updated succesfully post installation.
https://gearupwindows.com/how-to-install-windows-11-on-unsupported-pcs/
Cheers for that - very helpful. I was all set for a variety of registry tweaks but then read this and used the instructions to update one of the HP MicroServers I have here. It’s an N54L from nine or so years ago. Update went very smoothly and the server seems to run fine (I did an update rather than a clean install).
I’ll leave it a couple of days then update the other server and likely the main PC.

Mick

Cheers for that - very helpful. I was all set for a variety of registry tweaks but then read this and used the instructions to update one of the HP MicroServers I have here. It’s an N54L from nine or so years ago. Update went very smoothly and the server seems to run fine (I did an update rather than a clean install).
I’ll leave it a couple of days then update the other server and likely the main PC.

Mick
I have Win 11 Pro running on a 2012 Mac Mini. I'll try a 2010 next.

Cheers,

DV

Update

I now have Win 11 running on a 2010 Mac Mini and am in fact writing this from another Win 11 machine using RDP into that Mini.

Just shows that those hardware requirements are hokum. If M$ was in any way unkeen for Win 11 to run on older hardware they only had to write a get out clause such as 'you may run Win 11 on none compliant hardware but this is unsupported by M$ and is at your own risk'.

BTW The 'GodMode' folder on the desktop still works and is a godsend when various functions/utilities take a walk to somewhere else. Saves the hunting and frustration.

Last edited:

.sjb

The way I think about it, we're all going to have to get used to the new style eventually so why not now? It seems to be set up for a tablet style so that's probably a clue as to future direction. I haven't noticed any differences (other than the obvious layout changes and things being in different places.) All my apps are working I think 5 days in, I have one app that has some very minor highlighting bugs in its interface.

Ahem! You may need to define your use of "all" so that it excludes apparently-non-persons like myself. 8-]

Don’t worry, it will be coming to a Linux desktop sometime in the next 5 years (most still looks like W95 with a M$ start menu even now!).

Yes, some distro-builders do generate a Windows look-alike. However I use a RISC OS look-alike and that runs fine the distros I've used. Although I leave xfce as top panel and a few other bits to have in parallel.

So I just go on wondering why anyone likes what MS gives them as a GUI. :)

Yes, some distro-builders do generate a Windows look-alike. However I use a RISC OS look-alike and that runs fine the distros I've used. Although I leave xfce as top panel and a few other bits to have in parallel.

So I just go on wondering why anyone likes what MS gives them as a GUI. :)
Funnily enough my fave OS GUI are XP and Snow Leopard! So clean, simple and uncluttered. Perhaps thats why I like the Linux Mint GUI - Cinnamon?

Cheers,

DV

As long as I can hide the dock/taskbar or whatever and have multiple desktops I don’t really care. I really don’t like clutter so I don’t have crap all over the desktop or anything. Never have done, I still have a DOS mindset to file storage with everything in its logical place. To be honest 95%+ of my usage these days is iPad OS and its fine for most day to day things. Sitting at a conventional computer feels very old/retro to my now, though I do it (actually just a MBP and Model M) whenever I need to do a lot of typing, accounts, or want to use Logic etc.

Yes, that sort of thing. Very useful with my MBP as it is only a small screen and it is simple to switch between them with hotkeys. I think Apple call it ‘Spaces’ or something. I’ve got it set that certain regularly used apps automatically open in their own specific desktop.

Installing Windows 11 on unsupported machines or Intel Macs is fairly easy.
But what will happen when the first updates arrive?
Will they break the system? Nobody knows. Or do they?

We don't yet know but somehow I doubt it. I have performed several upgrades of win 10 to 11 and all have gone smoothly and then a few days later downloaded several updates without hitch. We'll have to wait for the next feature update.

My Win-2-Go 11 Pro has been booted on several machines from 2010 on and the correct modules have been downloaded and installed via Windows update. It all feels O.K.

No nags nor moans from M$ - so far.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back