advertisement

Windows 11 has arrived

Robert

Tapehead
Released yesterday - anyone tried it?

Popped it on a Surface Pro 7. Looks nice, snappy, less cluttered than 10.
Feels like a mashup of KDE Plasma 5 and Budgie :)

Not compatible with this PC. No TPM2 and an unsupported processor.

So won't be going Win 11 until MS withdraw support to Win 10 and forces me to buy a 'new' PC.

I’m trying to figure out Microsoft’s agenda here as they seem to be very deliberately limiting the potential userbase for this release. Countless corporates will have no intention of scrapping perfectly usable PCs bought just a year or two ago, and the same goes for home users (with the exception of hardcore gamers who keep at the very front of hardware development). My suspicion is it is a deliberate ‘push’ to the browser-based Windows 365 cloud services model, which whilst currently expensive/overpriced is I suspect their near-term trajectory. That will run on anything from a Raspberry Pi or Chromebook upwards! Another example of the global corporate shift from selling product the buyer owns to a ongoing leasing model.

PS It looks so like OS X it actually made me laugh!

Google unashamedly copied iOS and Microsoft is doing the same with Mac OS.
What else is new.

My bought-in-2017 i7-7800 isn't compatible.

I'll be upgrading as soon as the i7-12xxx CPUs arrive, and Windows 11 has a few little hidden tricks that make those work really well: the 12th generation Intel chips are a mixture of big and small cores, like an ARM chip, and Windows 11 is the first version that can take advantage of this feature properly.

I’m trying to figure out Microsoft’s agenda here as they seem to be very deliberately limiting the potential userbase for this release. Countless corporates will have no intention of scrapping perfectly usable PCs bought just a year or two ago, and the same goes for home users (with the exception of hardcore gamers who keep at the very front of hardware development). My suspicion is it is a deliberate ‘push’ to the browser-based Windows 365 cloud services model, which whilst currently expensive/overpriced is I suspect their near-term trajectory. That will run on anything from a Raspberry Pi or Chromebook upwards! Another example of the global corporate shift from selling product the buyer owns to a ongoing leasing model.

PS It looks so like OS X it actually made me laugh!
Its deliberate all right! The beta version that I have runs on old hardware e.g. a 2010 Mac Mini. However the newer versions of Win 11 have deliberately been nobbled not to run on suitable hardware i.e. NT checks your hardware against its compatibility list and then sticks two fingers up if you haven't complied. Have M$ completely changed NT in the few weeks after its first beta? I think that M$ may have shot themselves in the foot and time will tell. It leaves a dirty taste in the mouth.

Life .... you can't ignore it,

DV

Feels like a mashup of KDE Plasma 5 and Budgie :)
It probably is. They never have anything new under the bonnet though.

"Do not turn off your computer while updating. Go on holiday to Spain for three weeks instead." There might well be improved spyware though.

Last edited:
Not compatible with this PC. No TPM2 and an unsupported processor.

So won't be going Win 11 until MS withdraw support to Win 10 and forces me to buy a 'new' PC.

Quote from BBC article yesterday:

<<The minimum requirements include a type of security chip - called a TPM - only installed on modern computers.

"If your device does not meet these requirements, you may not be able to install Windows 11 on your device and might want to consider purchasing a new PC," Microsoft says.

The company has just launched a range of its own new hardware devices to coincide with the new Windows version.

But users already running Windows 10 do not need to go to this expense if the computer is still working. Windows 10 will continue to be supported and receive security updates until October 2025.>>
(emphasis added)

As I only use Windows on a partition and solely for a couple of apps I am sticking with Win 10 for the run....

What's the odds on a Win 11R (for Restricted) version appearing in a year or two for all those "ahem" older processors, to avoid them going to landfill? Nil?

More upgrades, more problems. Mu concern is will the ATC SIA2-100 Integrated amp's Dac work with Windows11 instead of Windows10 for high quality DSD...?

I'll be sticking with Win10 until it reaches the end of its security updates. My PC is nowhere near reaching the official requirements for W11 (i7-6700k CPU, no TPM) but it runs like a dream and there's zero wrong with it. No need to junk it for a good few years yet.

Check if you can enable TPM2 in you BIOS. My Asus board failed the Windows 11 compatibility due to lack of TPM, however the capability is in the chip/board, it was just disabled by default in the BIOS.

The end of support of Windows 10 in 2025 is amazingly close, no way I would specify Windows 11 in a new project for several months yet

advertisement

Back