advertisement

Why should teachers have a pay rise?

You got planning time in the 70s?
I meant the taking of 30 odd exercise books home for marking just to keep ahead and I typed all my school reports to impress parents (wishful thinking) but yes, a free period every now and again was built into the t/table and a right pain when it was taken away to cover someone's class. 'Planning time' was not terminology recognised at that juncture. :)

Free periods weren’t for me.
Ever.
I think it depended. I didn't get any free periods until I was head of department in a newly created comp. I think it was something like one double period a month. Of course it almost always went on standing in for an absent colleague.

I only had a Saturday off. Every night of the week was marking as the school had an unnecessary homework time table for the pupils and that required extra time.

I spent most of the Summer break at school preparing experiments and demonstrations. It was worth it though for the results that it brought.

It was very hard work but I missed teaching youngsters when I changed career. I did lecture adults in my new role in IT but it wasn't the same experience. However it did pay a lot more!

DV

“Rarely Cover” was introduced as a statutory requirement introduced by Blair, a good thing until undone by his academisation programme which exempted academies from the teachers statutory requirements.

Losing PPA time is one of the ways teachers work load is increased

Should be stated that the trust I currently work for, along with all of the ones I have had as clients in a previous life, stick to the STPCD.
Yes, academies can voluntarily choose to adopt the STPACD. Likewise they can choose to maintain a SLA with the local authority.

However, there are many that choose to rode roughshod over statutory protections. I have come across one academy where teacher’s are expected to ‘volunteer’ to teach an extra lesson at the end of the day and many more where PPA time is a thing of the past. This is also true in LA schools

Same problems in some ways…

“…The main problem for Salum, and many other heads, is the lack of teachers. Despite the positives of the system, there are still workload and recruitment issues. Why, when teachers are required to have a master’s degree (kindergarten teachers must have a bachelor’s degree), would they earn a comparatively low salary when they could go into a higher-paying job, such as in Estonia’s healthy digital industry? Earlier this year, Estonia’s teachers held their first strike for many years…”

All those problems apply to teachers everywhere I would think - and for that matter to many other professionals, some of whom earn less than teachers. They are generic to most jobs. I would though look to the positives in the article. I guess they have been noticed in the wider sense as Bridget Phillison has visited.

Heard yesterday of an acqaintance in a fairly nice school having a total meltdown over the deteriotion in behavior with more and more bad behaviour and fights . This is in a nice school with parents from priveliged familes .after decades they are thinking of leaving . Its getting harder and harder for these guys trying to cope

Heard yesterday of an acqaintance in a fairly nice school having a total meltdown over the deteriotion in behavior with more and more bad behaviour and fights . This is in a nice school with parents from priveliged familes .after decades they are thinking of leaving . Its getting harder and harder for these guys trying to cope
Starmer could’ve said so much about teaching in his 6 pledges beyond his totally inadequate promise to recruit 0.2 teachers per school.

The problem is not recruitment, it’s retention

So true KS , same in midwifery which leads to people leaving or taling retirement . I could have done easily another 6 years in public service had it not been for the appalling stress of covering for colleagues of sick who they would not provide cover for as the budget was taken up with their pay and nothing for agency staff .it takes its toll on folks

So true KS , same in midwifery which leads to people leaving or taling retirement . I could have done easily another 6 years in public service had it not been for the appalling stress of covering for colleagues of sick who they would not provide cover for as the budget was taken up with their pay and nothing for agency staff .it takes its toll on folks
Yes. There is no substitute for proper funding of public services.

“At the start of Reception in September, eight of the 27 four-year-olds came to school in nappies. The school has had to develop “intimate care plans” to keep them clean as well as providing potty training“

Hi All

I have been a secondary teacher of science since 1988. A full time contract is for 32.5 hours of term time. We are not paid for our weekends or holidays. Pay is spread out equally over the 12 months.

I have done about 60 hour per week since I started teaching. That is 25-30 hours unpaid for 30+ years. The money is ok but not great.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Nobody becomes a teacher to make it big or to get rich or for the glory and prestige of the job (joke!)- But ask some teachers who you know how many hours they really do.

Im now 60 and worn out. I have gone part time.

For the first time in my life I am working only 40 hpw. Now I have some balance in my life.

Should we get a pay rise? Perhaps better working conditions and time for a normal family life would be something.

Thought I'd share

Have a good day

Regards

Mike

Hi All

I have been a secondary teacher of science since 1988. A full time contract is for 32.5 hours of term time. We are not paid for our weekends or holidays. Pay is spread out equally over the 12 months.

I have done about 60 hour per week since I started teaching. That is 25-30 hours unpaid for 30+ years. The money is ok but not great.

Nobody becomes a teacher to make it big or to get rich or for the glory and prestige of the job (joke!)- But ask some teachers who you know how many hours they really do.

For the first time in my life I am working only 40 hpw. Now I have some balance in my life.

Should we get a pay rise? Perhaps better working conditions and time for a normal family life would be something.

Thought I'd share

Have a good day

Regards

Mike
Why would you work double your contracted hours for free? That is a big part of the problem with staffing levels in schools, NHS and any other organisation. Why employ more staff when those you have are, literally, working the hours of 2?

Hi All

Thought I'd share

Have a good day

Regards

Mike
Thanks for putting the extra shifts in Mike, I'm sure the kids, at least, will benefit . 👏

Why would you work double your contracted hours for free? That is a big part of the problem with staffing levels in schools, NHS and any other organisation. Why employ more staff when those you have are, literally, working the hours of 2?
It’s a teachers lot.
I remember when the contract was changed to 1265 hours a year PLUS any other hours the head deemed necessary.
I kid you not.

What happens is as follows. People come into the profession, very often young and pretty inexperienced, and they are persuaded, coerced, manipulated and bullied by their management to work extremely long hours. After a while a large proportion drop out, for obvious reasons. Those that remain have the stamina and the will, and they move into more senior positions where they themselves become the persuaders, coercers, manipulators and bullies of the next cohort of newly qualifieds. And so ad infinitum.

It's obviously, as you say, a very good system for the employers, particularly in schools. Especially given that by many measures the quality of educational outcomes is improving.

The fault is not with those being exploited. It’s with the exploiters.

It’s a teachers lot.
I remember when the contract was changed to 1265 hours a year PLUS any other hours the head deemed necessary.
I kid you not.
It”s still 1265 under STPCD, but academies do not have to adhere to the STPCD, so we’re back to ‘hours deemed necessary’. I’ve heard pf one academy where teachers are required to volunteer to teach an extra lesson after the official day ends

advertisement

Back