advertisement

Why should teachers have a pay rise?

having taught in a 2ndary school (many years ago) and EFL there is a huge difference. Having worked with British Council over many years, their accreditation of providers (they do this with 3rd parties now) is to be honest very limited.

“The new Ofsted chief has warned behaviour in some schools has become so bad that teachers now lock themselves in classrooms at lunch.”

53473187121_40a10dafd9_c.jpg

“The new Ofsted chief has warned behaviour in some schools has become so bad that teachers now lock themselves in classrooms at lunch.”
I've been in a school like this, it was in Wandsworth, a large all through school (Y3 to Y11 I think) for children who could not behave well enough for mainstream education. Failing at the time, and out of control from what I could see. I remember feeling in personal physical danger when they came in after the lunchtime break. The head - young guy - was just appalling IMO - so obviously stressed and unable to cope with the situation that he'd lost all charm, and was agressive and ineffective with both adults and children.

Maybe most disturbing was the way you could see the Y2 watching the Y10's behaviour, and learning - taking them as role models.

I've been in a school like this, it was in Wandsworth, a large all through school (Y3 to Y11 I think) for children who could not behave well enough for mainstream education. Failing at the time, and out of control from what I could see. I remember feeling in personal physical danger when they came in after the lunchtime break.
One of the problems is that funding for non-mainstream schools (Pupil Referral Units for example) has been cut throwing pupils with such needs back into the mainstream and thereby adding to the pressure on reduced budgets there too.

The ideology of Spending cuts is ruining not just Education, but Welfare as a whole. It’s criminal and responsible for wider social and economic breakdown

The days of plenty are coming to an end because of Climate Change. Energy will be more and more expensive, flood and storm damage will cost millions and food will become scarcer and more expensive. Inequality will get worse and worse as voters worried about floods of immigrants elect right wing governments, governments which usually believe in low taxes and to hell with the poor of the parish.

A LOT of things are going to change and change dramatically. Just having a job at all will be the ambition of many, and many jobs will pass over to the gig economy.

The days of plenty are coming to an end because of Climate Change. Energy will be more and more expensive, flood and storm damage will cost millions and food will become scarcer and more expensive. Inequality will get worse and worse as voters worried about floods of immigrants elect right wing governments, governments which usually believe in low taxes and to hell with the poor of the parish.

A LOT of things are going to change and change dramatically. Just having a job at all will be the ambition of many, and many jobs will pass over to the gig economy.

In 1983 Margaret Thatcher famously said: "There is no such thing as public money, there is only taxpayers' money."

This story - a "fundamental truth", as she put it - turns out to be a fundamental lie.

One reason the story endures is that, at its root, it is about power.

To solve our crisis we have to re-write the story of money.

This is an except from a post by UK post growth economist and podcaster Katy Shields in response to Professor Wray's talk on the History and Nature of Money.

Catch up on our first three talks:

Professor Stephanie Kelton's talk Finding the Money can be viewed here;
Professor Joshua Farley's lecture on Ecological Economics is here; and
Professor L Randall Wray's lecture on the History of Money is here.

Thanks for that - Joshua Farley is very good. He gets what is happening.

Traditional growth-based economists simply don't because their model is already out of date.

Thanks for that - Joshua Farley is very good. He gets what is happening.

Traditional growth-based economists simply don't because their model is already out of date.
Yes. Which is another reason why Labour’s growth dependent spending plans won’t work. The economics was proven outdated a century ago and we now have a history of demonstrable failure going back at least half a century since they were reintroduced in the 70’s

Where are all the people with vision? Clearly not in the political elite. Mostly in universities, or writing science fiction. And the "science fiction" the media feeds us is just a pathetic parade of shoot-em-ups and feeble plots to "save the world" from evil forces. The visionaries were writers like JG Ballard and Jules Verne.

Why are we not getting Future Studies on school curriculums? And Critical Thinking would help too. There is so much general ignorance about what is going to happen. It goes well beyond "Summers will be hotter and we should think about getting an electric vehicle". Why isn't Future Studies an integral part of the Green movement?

”38% of teachers in Wales experienced violence or physical abuse from a pupil in the last 12 months.

“The secondary school teacher, who has been teaching for 20 years, said it is the worst it's been since she started.

"Teaching is not about teaching anymore, that's a tiny part of it compared to all the paperwork, lesson planning, marking and reports.

"The average teacher gets five periods a fortnight to plan, prepare, mark, which isn't enough, so work needs to be done at home in the evenings, weekends and 'school holidays'.

"Teaching bleeds you dry, leaving very little for your own family and friends," she said.

"The average teacher gets five periods a fortnight to plan, prepare, mark, which isn't enough, so work needs to be done at home in the evenings, weekends and 'school holidays'.
Funny, that. Precisely what my secondary school situation was like in the 70s and 80s. Plus ca change !

Funny, that. Precisely what my secondary school situation was like in the 70s and 80s. Plus ca change !
One of the problems is that PPA time is increasingly being taken for cover, and the worse teaching gets, more teachers get sick, more PPA taken for cover

Same problems in some ways…

“…The main problem for Salum, and many other heads, is the lack of teachers. Despite the positives of the system, there are still workload and recruitment issues. Why, when teachers are required to have a master’s degree (kindergarten teachers must have a bachelor’s degree), would they earn a comparatively low salary when they could go into a higher-paying job, such as in Estonia’s healthy digital industry? Earlier this year, Estonia’s teachers held their first strike for many years…”

advertisement

Back