advertisement

Why should teachers have a pay rise?

A government minister was suggesting that because the expectation is that inflation will soon fall, an inflationary level rise is inappropriate. She completely failed to see that she was, therefore, linking pay with inflation, meaning that the significant real-terms falls in pay of the last decade are against what she now proposes as policy. They truly make things up as they go along, to suit their own agenda, which is why recruitment and retention levels are as they are, among other issues.

I see there are also noises to the effect that schools may be permitted to give rises, but out of existing school budgets, which is effectively no rise, even a paltry 3%.
This has always been the case. Past ‘pay rises’ have always been dependent on school budgets, and counted towards the published numbers, regardless of the fact that many teachers have not received the supposed pay increase

The odd thing is that, by Ofsted measures, educational standards have improved since the the Tories have held the reins. I posted somewhere, maybe on this thread, some data about exam results from Ofqual. It’s as if teachers have responded to higher expectations and lower pay by working harder for less money. It’s not surprising to me that the employers have taken advantage of the docility of the workforce. The boss says “Jump!” and the teachers just say “How high?”

They should because it's not just the children with rich parents that can send them to Eton that are precious. All children deserve a decent education. That means valuing the teachers and treating them properly.

Sure but why exactly do they deserve a pay increase?

And on another topic: how does money predict (or not predict) teaching outcomes?

1) Because in real terms teachers pay has fallen steadily over many years, it's a very important job and should be treated as such.
To attract good new teachers.

2) I don't know what qualifications Johnson has but Eton certainly gave him many advantages, so money certainly predicts outcomes and opportunities.

1) Because in real terms teachers pay has fallen steadily over many years, it's a very important job and should be treated as such.
To attract good new teachers.

2) I don't know what qualifications Johnson has but Eton certainly gave him many advantages, so money certainly predicts outcomes and opportunities.
I would question these statements. Maybe in recent times but not over many years. When I started teaching as a University graduate (a higher starting salary) I was on £900 pa and that scales up with inflation to around £20K today. Just checked and the lowest starting salary today is £28K so 40% more. My own teachers on these sort of salaries were excellent and gave me a Sec Mod education that saw me leave school with 6 'O' Levels at 15. I actually taught with some of my old teachers several years after I left school.

DV

I would question these statements. Maybe in recent times but not over many years. When I started teaching as a University graduate (a higher starting salary) I was on £900 pa and that scales up with inflation to around £20K today. Just checked and the lowest starting salary today is £28K so 40% more. My own teachers on these sort of salaries were excellent and gave me a Sec Mod education that saw me leave school with 6 'O' Levels at 15. I actually taught with some of my old teachers several years after I left school.

DV

Since 2010 teachers have lost at least £11,000 in real terms. That is the most conservative estimate, others have it much higher

“One big question” about Schools in the wake of the suicide of Ruth Perry according to Laura Kuenessberg today, “how can parents and public judge what really going on?”

The elephant in the room is that Ofsted is political, it is under an objective to downgrade schools in order to force then into academisation.

An academy is not bound by the School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document. The STPACD is a basic protection for teacher workload and conditions that is being eroded. This government is deliberately eroding Teacher working conditions, timetabled time for Planning, Prep and Assessment are being eroded, having to cover for absent teachers is rising, pressure to do lunchtime duties is increasing and teachers are having to take on more and more extra curricular clubs and duties in order to meet Performance Management objectives.

Amanda Spielman says Ofsted is designed to be supportive.

It isn’t.

It’s bullying.

A very Tory theme.

I never had an Ofsted inspection; possibly because they weren't around then ('74 to 90s). However, I did have many internal inspections from my E.F.L. school, plus a British Council one on the morning after my chimney and aerial had blown down overnight; disastrous, as I was late and mentally ill-prepared. I was admonished but thought my excuse was justifiable.

now OFSTED have their finger in the University pie for some provision, and as I can attest it isn't a pleasant experience. It can be aggressive and IME it isn't very supportive.

now OFSTED have their finger in the University pie for some provision, and as I can attest it isn't a pleasant experience. It can be aggressive and IME it isn't very supportive.
Yes. It isn’t designed to be supportive, it’s designed to achieve political objectives

Yes. It isn’t designed to be supportive, it’s designed to achieve political objectives

the political objectives you describe don't apply to a University department, where OFSTED are contracted to evaluate certain types of HE provision.

On the receiving end I care about protecting my staff, and not about the politics.

What alternative mechanism is suggested to ensure the highest standards possible are maintained throughout the educational system?
I'd guess it must be regulated, checked on, and sanctions imposed as well as rewards where appropriate?

advertisement

Back