advertisement

why Corbyn may well win the next election.

I believe in cause and effect. You belittle the deaths of millions of people. Distaste ?? Strat planning ??

So do I. No I do not. Who said anything about distaste? Strat planning the wrong phrase, sounds pro-western. I meant the west had no idea about what to do after intervening. We/they just assumed 'democracy' would fill the yawning gap.

What bias/oversimplifications/omissions ? Don't be shy: school me.

Plenty. No way.

What is your analysis of Islamic 'terrorism' ? Random loonies ? Envy of our way of life ?

Not here. No. No.

AFAIK Jo Cox was a exemplary MP, and more importantly human being. And that is above politics.

I agree completely with your first sentence, and it is indeed above politics. I reserve the right not to be entirely convinced that all of the motives for renaming a square in Brussels after her are.

Not here. No. No.

Nudge/Wink

DWQWCCv_X0_AAQu_Qe.jpg

Interesting article in the Guardian as ever highlighting some startling facts that somehow got missed by the BBC and the TV news networks here in the uk

Last week the IMF published a report that barely got a mention from the BBC or in Westminster, yet helps reframe the entire debate over austerity. The fund totted up both the public debt and the publicly owned assets of 31 countries, from the US to Australia, Finland to France, and found that the UK had among the weakest public finances of the lot. With less than £3 trillion of assets against £5tn in pensions and other liabilities, the UK is more than £2tn in the red. Of all the other countries examined by researchers, including the Gambia and Kenya, only Portugal’s finances look worse over the long run.

I find it incredible that this is simply ignored by UK media.

The truth is that privatising all of the nation's assets to fund tax cuts for the fortunate has not worked, never has, and wouldn't regardless of the financial crisis adding £1tn to UK debt.

The only way to keep this illusion going is to continue to sell off assets until there are no more. Tax increases are considered political suicide. Ironic given that in the long term, neoliberalism results in financial collapse and a society in despair.

The only asset of real wealth left for the illusionists to sell off to their banking friends is the NHS and its in the process of doing just that as stealthily as possible in order to avoid rebellion.

All of the parties are going to face the same issue so how does a country attack it? What happens if we default?

Interesting article in the Guardian as ever highlighting some startling facts that somehow got missed by the BBC and the TV news networks here in the uk
Last week the IMF published a report that barely got a mention from the BBC or in Westminster, yet helps reframe the entire debate over austerity. The fund totted up both the public debt and the publicly owned assets of 31 countries, from the US to Australia, Finland to France, and found that the UK had among the weakest public finances of the lot. With less than £3 trillion of assets against £5tn in pensions and other liabilities, the UK is more than £2tn in the red. Of all the other countries examined by researchers, including the Gambia and Kenya, only Portugal’s finances look worse over the long run.
The truth is that privatising all of the nation's assets to fund tax cuts for the fortunate has not worked, never has, and wouldn't regardless of the financial crisis adding £1tn to UK debt.
The only way to keep this illusion going is to continue to sell off assets until there are no more. Tax increases are considered political suicide. Ironic given that in the long term, neoliberalism results in financial collapse and a society in despair.
The only asset of real wealth left for the illusionists to sell off to their banking friends is the NHS and its in the process of doing just that as stealthily as possible in order to avoid rebellion.
All of the parties are going to face the same issue so how does a country attack it? What happens if we default?

UK Govt. Pensions are too high. A future Govt will have to reduce them...

I'm waiting for retirement age to meet the mean life expectancy here in the UK. With the loss of the NHS the two will continue to converge.

In Scotland, Richard Leonard has sacked "moderates" Jackie Baillie and Anas Sarwar, some positive action at last.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-45749855

Sacking two of his most able shadow ministers is hardly positive, it only reflects someone out of his depth.

RICHARD Leonard’s attempt to assert his authority over Scottish Labour has descended into farce, after one of his MSPs learned of his sacking from Twitter. The Herald

Leonard's impact so far has been negligible, most people up here (never mind down South) haven't got a clue who he is. He is frightened to tackle Sturgeon at FM Questions. But regardless, you don't go around sacking people from their posts on a Twitter account. Unless this is part of the new 'kinder' politics.

More blairite squealing.
More blairite squealing.
Leonard's impact so far has been negligible, most people up here (never mind down South) haven't got a clue who he is. He is frightened to tackle Sturgeon at FM Questions. But regardless, you don't go around sacking people from their posts on a Twitter account. Unless this is part of the new 'kinder' politics.

Scotland is a difficult battleground for Labour because the SNP have put many years of work in to get into the strong position they now hold. One of the reasons they've got stronger is because Labour made it easy for them with the Pinko Tory politics of the Blair years.

It will take time but Labour's move to the left will appeal to Scottish voters.

People in Scotland are spoilt really. A resurgence of Labour across the UK and a very good SNP.

PS I think you'll find that there were a number of reasons for the sackings but don't let the facts get in the way of your Blairite squealing.

Last edited:
Labour in Scotland they will not win back the seats they lost at the last election. Sturgeon wipes the floor with Leonard every time, it's cringy to listen to. If the two ever came face to face to debate on TV he would become a laughing stock. For most people who swap political allegiances, it is less about policy and more about competence and leadership which in the case of Leonard are nowhere to be found.

Labour could learn a lot from the SNP, like how to maintain a united party and elect a leader whose competence and intelligence shines like a beacon.

The NHS is the largest dripping roast of all, with an annual operating budget of £125bn and what oily spiv sitting in a lower Manhattan office isn’t going to want to grab a piece? Second question- politicians of which party in Britain will be ready to hand it over on a plate once it becomes ‘an outdated luxury the country can no longer afford’?.

I think it will go by stealth Dec. It already is. The drip drip drip of asset sales and the Private equity coming into infrastructure projects. Along with the private sector winning contracts for certain services, the money being extracted from the pot increases by the year. Much like global warming, by the time the masses wake up to what's happening the cost of rescue (buying back assets and cancelling multi year contracts) will make such a move unfeasible unless there's a revolution.

advertisement

Back