advertisement

Who's heard the new ProAc SM100's?

Nor am I Marvin! Have been using studio grade cables for years even my active ATC were wired up using such ATCs own Belden cables... but they (VOVOX) actually make a responsibly justifiable purchase.

Got mine set up and running in.

First impressions extremely positive. Actually thats an understatement.

Will provide a more detailed overview in a few days.

Crofts are driving them superbly. I didn't realise how good they were until hooked them up to the SM100's and also the Tablettes before.

Very nice Robby! I had a feeling you would like them as you preferred the Tablette Anniversary to the Tablette 10, hence my recommendation for you to try the SM100's on the other thread. Looks like you have also gone for the HMS2.1 stands - good move! The Croft amps are very good. In my opinion the preamplifier is the stronger of the set. Depending on the types of music you listen to, I would recommend at some stage trying a high powered/high current solid state power amp with the SM100's and your Croft pre, something like an ATC P1 for absolute control and maximum dynamic range performance. Having said that, the Croft power amplifier is no slouch and if you listen primarily to acoustic and vocal music it will probably be perfectly adequate and likely to be more attractive sounding (coloured) than the ATC P1 or a similar spec solid state power amp.

The Densen B310/320 could also be a perfect match for the croft preamp should you ever feel the need for more power.. I've demoed Densen B150XS with ProAc R1SCs, an excellent combo.

Very nice Robby! I had a feeling you would like them as you preferred the Tablette Anniversary to the Tablette 10, hence my recommendation for you to try the SM100's on the other thread. Looks like you have also gone for the HMS2.1 stands - good move! The Croft amps are very good. In my opinion the preamplifier is the stronger of the set. Depending on the types of music you listen to, I would recommend at some stage trying a high powered/high current solid state power amp with the SM100's and your Croft pre, something like an ATC P1 for absolute control and maximum dynamic range performance. Having said that, the Croft power amplifier is no slouch and if you listen primarily to acoustic and vocal music it will probably be perfectly adequate and likely to be more attractive sounding (coloured) than the ATC P1 or a similar spec solid state power amp.

I do listen primarily to acoustic music and this does seem to suit the Croft perfectly.

I have always found solid state amps and monitor type speakers to lack some emotion with the types of music I listen to.

I do listen primarily to acoustic music and this does seem to suit the Croft perfectly.

I have always found solid state amps and monitor type speakers to lack some emotion with the types of music I listen to.

I agree with you there, that's why something like the ATC P1 maybe too clean/clinical/flat with the SM100's as they don't have much/any colour/flava of their own.

Filled my stands last night and I have to say I am not sure if I like the difference it makes.....

Going to have to do some experimentation today I think.

I filled the stands to the top as I bought a load of it.

Soundstage doesn't seem as wide, imaging not quite as precise, bass seems a little deeper but all one note if that makes sense.

The Custom Design filler?

I'm wondering if the speakers are simply going through a breaking in period yet, they do change quite a bit, especially in the upper mid-band... which might be the cause closer soundstage. the LFs keep coming too. Mine are still 'refining' ever so slightly.

ProAc say it takes 2-3 months for them to fully loosen up.

advertisement

Back