advertisement

Who's heard the new ProAc SM100's?

Great write up on the ProAc Studio SM100's by Deco Audio:

"The SM100 is the successor to the classic Studio 100 - one of our all time favourite stand mounted speakers. To understand this new model it’s best to consider its predecessor first. It was a design that was kept in production for two decades as it was highly prized by those in the know for its naturalness and accuracy, yet simultaneously was perhaps ProAcs best kept secret, often being overlooked in the press. Over the years it has found homes in many domestic and professional settings - in the case of the latter the list of famous names that own them is impressive - from heavy metal and dance musicians and engineers through to many more sedate genres.

We were very sad when they finished production (in fact ProAc had several aborted attempts to discontinue them as demand kept pushing them back into production) and we were concerned that they wouldn’t reach the same heights again, but thankfully it appears our fears were unfounded. I’m delighted to say that the new SM100 is remarkably close to the original, both in terms of design, sound quality and presentation. The cabinets are still reassuringly weighty and dead and of the same size as the original. The classic combination of soft dome tweeter and paper mid/bass driver is thankfully retained too. A new 1” tweeter, and crossover, is used, with the bass driver featuring the latest ProAc cast basket and a rubber rather than foam roll surround, making them more robust (and longer lasting in humid climates).

At the time of writing I have not back to backed the old model with the new, but think I am sufficiently familiar to make comparison with reasonable confidence. First thoughts are that the new model strikes me as being much easier to partner. The old model would spit out inferior electronics, revealing greyness and grain wherever it existed. For us it was never really a problem, we took care to make sure they were partnered with the right (predominately valve) amplification and high quality sources, and then music simply happened.

So they are more forgiving, but they don’t seem any less transparent, which is quite something to pull off if true. They still thrive on great partnering systems of course, but remarkably tolerate inferior ones without disdain (although do remember this is still as serious a speaker as you’d expect of one at its price, so it’s all relative).

Unlike most speakers used in studios there’s no obvious presence lift, they’re not relentless and tiring and they don’t make you feel like a giant magnifying glass has been placed over certain elements of the recording at the expense of others (and of musical enjoyment).

What has always made the 100 special is the mid band, and that’s still the case. It is expressive, clear and natural to a very rare degree - compare it to many British classic highly regarded monitors that use plastic cones and you’ll hear just how contorted and contrived they really are. This isn’t a one trick pony though, there isn’t an area that lets them down, the treble is open and extended, the crossover beautifully judged. The bass is clean, tuneful and as extended and powerful as can be expected of a cabinet of this size and with this level of sensitivity (a perfectly reasonable 88dB). They image, they time, they portray emotion - you get the gist!"

That just about sums up my experiences thus far. they are really friggin good! - IIRC my 118s took about 6-8 weeks before fully loosening up.

Think I'm starting to prefer the HMS2.1 over the R2s ATM...

I'd love to hear these. I seem to remember that someone from Deco once said that the old Studio 100s were the best speakers under £50K. That was a while ago, so you'd have to allow for inflation, and if the new ones are even better...

I allways liked the original studio 100

How much are these new SM100 vs new Tablette 10 (£995) ?

As I usually would choose sealed speakers vs ported, these could be the exception

(Can't have them far out from wall though)

The ports are on the front bellow the LF/MF driver so locating them close to a wall isn't an issue. I have mine about 15cm away from the back wall and about 1.5m from the side walls.

The RRP is £1850 but as they're pro speakers you can get decent discounts if you shop around. proaudioeurope.com for example said £1500ish.

These are really starting to show there skills now.... awesome speakers.

Got the dedicated Atacama HMS2.1 arriving Friday too.

Bit of an ask I know, but how would you feel about uploading a video to You Tube once you have the stands and a bit of time to make the recording? There are currently no videos on You Tube of the SM100's in action. I would love to hear them playing high quality electronic dance music and it would be good to see them with the HMS 2.1 stands. Just a thought - no pressure.

That shouldn't be an issue really. I'll try but its gonna be via an iPhone/iPad Mini as its the only way I could possible do a vid.

Failing that, if you're in London....drop by.

They play electronica like no other monitor I've heard.... much better than say the Resonessence Labs MIRUS / ATC SCM25As I had a few years back.

That shouldn't be an issue really. I'll try but its gonna be via an iPhone/iPad Mini as its the only way I could possible do a vid.

Failing that, if you're in London....drop by.

They play electronica like no other monitor I've heard....

That would be great. A vid via iPhone would be fine.

I may well take you up on that kind offer. It does not surprise me that they sound good with electronica. I suspect it is a speaker to hold on to for the long-term.

Bloody hell Raj, that was quick! Thank you. The cherry veneer of the speakers nicely matches the surround of your fireplace. They will look and I suspect sound even better with the HMS stands.

I've had a quick listen and they do sound good. Thanks again.

IIRC Stewart never released another version of the S100s, till now, that was 20+ years later.... we only discussed the D2s, SM100s BD1s & the new floor stander due out in a few months.

IIRC Stewart never released another version of the S100s, till now, that was 20+ years later.... we only discussed the D2s, SM100s BD1s & the new floor stander due out in a few months.

Ok, it just sounded from PerF's post that a signature version of the SM100's was imminent.

advertisement

Back