advertisement

Who's heard the new ProAc SM100's?

The Custom Design filler?

I'm wondering if the speakers are simply going through a breaking in period yet, they do change quite a bit, especially in the upper mid-band... which might be the cause closer soundstage. the LFs keep coming too. Mine are still 'refining' ever so slightly.

ProAc say it takes 2-3 months for them to fully loosen up.

ProAc actually said that?
Keith

Try filling the stands 2/3 and not to the top. I would also recommend using the gel pads.

2/3 is what ProAc recommended to me too (and what I've done).

I used kiln dried sand in some of the thickest tights (300D or something like that). Threaded the tights into the columns first, filled them with 2.5kg sand in each leg/tight and put the knot in the top, then reassembled everything.

This way I can turn them upside down, take the bases off and add lead shot to the bottom 1/3 to add higher mass lower down.

I do listen primarily to acoustic music and this does seem to suit the Croft perfectly.

I have always found solid state amps and monitor type speakers to lack some emotion with the types of music I listen to.

The thing is, the SM100 is not your typical studio monitor. It is a design inherently capable of portraying emotion as has been suggested by Deco Audio in their write up. The emotion will come from the valve pre, the speakers and the music itself. A high quality, high powered/high current power amp will just exert maximum control and dynamic grip on the speakers even at lower volume listening levels. It does not have to be a power amp from ATC. Used models from Plinius, Classe, MF, Gamut, Rotel, Pass Labs could also work well in this context.

Good point about the gel pads. IF you're using Blu-tak id recommend not too for two reasons. 1) I find it changes the sound 2) if left there for years, can dry the veneer and cause it to weaken.

I really don't like the look of the speakers with the gel pads on top (sad I know). Also I need some way of securing the speakers to the stands - any other suggestions rather than Blu-tak?

There is no problem using blu tack in my opinion.

In 30 years of playing around with hifi I have to confess I have never had an issue with Blu-tak (I have heard of others having problems with speaker veneers having used it, though).

Not found anything else that can secure speakers to stands without being a permanent solution - Gorilla Glue would do the trick but would need a hammer and chisel to remove the speakers!!

You can get some 3mm-ish tall pads from Maplins. they are slightly grippy but no residue come off them, the speakers don't move or come off them without a touch of force.

The blu tack covers just a few mm's of veneer at the base of the speaker. If you are genuinely concerned about it drying the veneer (personally I wouldn't be) alter the exact location of the 4 small pieces every 6 months or so.

You can get some 3mm-ish tall pads from Maplins. they are slightly grippy but no residue come off them, the speakers don't move or come off them without a touch of force.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to them by any chance do you?

Looked on their website and can't see them.

Thanks.

The thing is, the SM100 is not your typical studio monitor.

Even if it was a typical monitor, they actually do, in my experience, have a frighteningly natural and realistic sound especially with good recordings. I made the switch a while ago to some other active monitors.

If accuracy is important, then a solid state amp is worth trying.

The blu tack covers just a few mm's of veneer at the base of the speaker. If you are genuinely concerned about it drying the veneer (personally I wouldn't be) alter the exact location of the 4 small pieces every 6 months or so.

I have only ever used a pea sized piece in each corner which so far seems to have done the trick - always got an open mind to alternatives.

advertisement

Back