advertisement

Who's heard the new ProAc SM100's?

Never even saw Per's comment, I kinda ignore him at the best of times TBH... sly private trader IMHO.

LOL! Perhaps he just got his wires crossed or there is a release due which we do not know about as yet. It would seem strange to make a signature version of a Pro speaker but then again it is quite a legendary design. Maybe with time PerF will clear up exactly what he meant.

I like the idea of trying these with an ATC P1 power amplifier, EAR 864 pre-amplifier, Cambridge Audio CXC transport, Chord 2Qute DAC, Technics SL1200G + Audio Technica AT33PTG/II.

I reckon this would be the type of system I could enjoy for the rest of my life without feeling the need to change or mess about with kit ever again.

I'm not too fussed about streaming to be honest Raj. I do occasionally play high res files directly from my laptop to my DAC. I like the action of loading a disc into a player, playing the complete album and also using the players RC. I've got a bit of an irrational aversion to smart devices. I do occasionally stream with Spotify but more as a way to sample music rather than as a main source.

From what I can gather the SM100's respond well to lots of quality power and current. And this has been my experience with ProAc Studio speakers thus far, especially if you often play complex, highly dynamic music. I think they also respond well to a bit of valve liquidity. It compliments their natural mid-range performance, sound-staging and imaging capabilities, hence the reason for opting for a transparent valve pre - accuracy and a little bit of sonic magic.

The other option I'm considering is an ATC SIA2-150 MK2 integrated with a Tron Convergence valve MC phono stage. It will be quite a while yet before I'll be in a position to make all the purchases but this is my rough long-term plan.

I think you said in a previous post that you had used the the ATC SIA2-150 in the past with ATC speakers, how do you reckon it would match up with the SM100's?

Media is just that, I simply love the simplicity.. and being able to play a whole discography is such a joy. Plus I never have to go anywhere near the kit so its nice to disconnect from the boxes and submerge 100% into the music.

The SIA2-150 (the black one with silver knobs) is a cracking bit of kit, very transparent, almost too clinical/flat sounding is maybe my only criticism of it. Its massively controlled and powerful. I used a Trichord Dino+ with mine, a Linn Axis with K18 cart and Meridian's 588 CDP. But yeah, its a superb amp, finding a mint one will be the difficult thing as they're very heavy and get shunted about.

Would it make a good combination with the SM100s.. I think it just might.
IMHO they don't need massive amounts of watts just a good stiff power-supply and an ample amount of current.

Ok, it just sounded from PerF's post that a signature version of the SM100's was imminent.

ProAc means Professional Acoustics. IMO if Stewart Tyler come out with a signature version of the only loudspeaker that is aimed at the professional market, it would immediately loose all the credibility it has earned in all theese years. I don't think that will ever happen.

Atacama HMS2.1 arrived yesterday. filled with kiln dried sand. They're 23kg each currently, put 2.5kg in each leg (10kg per stand) so about 2/3rds full. They make a considerable difference.

You will have to post some pictures of the SM100's on their new stands. I am sure they will make an aesthetic as well as sonic improvement.

Looking good Raj! And I suspect sounding good too. The width of the stand perfectly matches the width of the speaker, looks very neat, almost like a complete speaker system. Atacama should of supplied gel pads with the stands. I would strongly recommend using them.

Cheers marvin, its quite remarkable how much these stands bring to the end result. Not a fan of those Atacama gel-pads. Had them before (under some ATC SMC25As) they're a bit squishy/wobbly. Using some other thinner domed little 7mm diameter (slightly sticky) firmer pads I had lying around.

Cheers marvin, its quite remarkable how much these stands bring to the end result. Not a fan of those Atacama gel-pads. Had them before (under some ATC SMC25As) they're a bit squishy/wobbly. Using some other thinner domed little (slightly sticky) firmer pads I had lying around.

Fair enough. I've always found their gel pads to work well but go with what you prefer.

These stands will be my choice if and when I go for these speakers. Like I say, together they make a complete speakers system.

I prefer the pads to invisible too, makes the whole package look, as you say, more 'together'.
Found the stands on HiFi for Sale. The guy kindly delivered them to my door for an additional £10!!!

Spot the other change I've made? ;)

They look the business Raj and I'm sure everything is sounding great. Now to persuade my girlfriend....

Cheers deek! - Yes, well, the GF didn't have a choice... the stands arrived and from the look on her face (which was WTF) I didn't feel the need to ask her opinion.. lol. But hey.. we both do what we like when it come to our hobbies/interests. She does however really appreciate the SQ :)

I prefer the pads to invisible too, makes the whole package look, as you say, more 'together'.
Found the stands on HiFi for Sale. The guy kindly delivered them to my door for an additional £10!!!

Spot the other change I've made? ;)

Sorry Raj, I cannot spot the change. Could you give us a clue?

Ordered a pair today in cherry as a replacement for the Tablettes.

Should be able to pick them up on Tuesday........

advertisement

Back