advertisement

Who's heard the new ProAc SM100's?

I second CK suggestion, Custom Design SQ404 are superb. I use custom made pair for my Harbeth 30.1

As for speaker cable Atlas Hyper 3.5 ticks all the boxes for me. Natural sound, solderless gold plated copper plugs, high quality copper conductors, ptfe/Teflon dielectric, and reasonable price. I’m not a fan of silver plated wires or expensive esoteric Hi-Fi cables.

I borrowed some Atlas and while I welcomed the fuller nature, I felt some transparency was lost. I guess you can't win!

Maybe that's why I always end up back at Naim. Brutal.

I had these made by Custom Design. IMHO, they made a very substantial improvement. They are 30(ish)Kg each from memory.

Chord Epic SC is good stuff, NACA5 may give you a little more body to the midband. A HICAP will make a substantial difference.
From my experiences with the SM100s, they can clearly handle a much higher grade of amp and power.

What will the HiCap do? More weight? I had a Flat Cap on an old XS2. While i found it opened things up, I also felt it lost some musical cohesion. Swings and roundabouts.

I have studied the PROAC website, it seems to me it has not changed since the 70's and I have gone back in time despite the website being updated with new models. Maybe a fresh approach is required or maybe its just me..?

I thought the Praoc website is pretty poor, thankfully their speakers aren’t. Needs some updating and more info, past designs, manuals etc.

I’m hoping these will be my next speakers to replace the 1sc I currently have. Saving has started!
Just out of interest do you or anyone else for that matter keep the speakers facing straight ahead? Or would you toe them inwards? My local dealer of 50+ years insists you turn them in slightly, but I’m disagreeing.

Earlier today had a demo of the Proac Tab 10 Sig and Studio SM100. I much preferred the SM100 as it had more body and a lore relaxed smoother sound and still sounded lively.

Several years ago I had different Proac speakers in a stereo and surround set and now regret that I did not stick with Proac. In the past years I gained in resolution and details with my B&W Diamonds 804D3 but always felt I lost on musicality and the emotional side of music.

Hence I am going for Studio SM100’s in my surround set replacing B&W 700 series.

Now I am thinking using these as well in my stereo set with dual subs. However I am wondering if I should have a look at the RDB1 as well. My dealer did not have these in stock so I cannot listen to them upfront. Have any of you compared the RDB1 with the Studio SM100? They are almost the same in price although the Response is a higer series. Still I think I should just stick to the SM100’s since I really liked them.

Yes I did the comparison, the SM100s have the same tone and quality but offer more depth and presence.

But how does the RDB1 differ then compared to the SM100? Is it that the RDB1 is a bit more refined? Is their less roll off then in the treble compared to the SM100. To be honest I’m more in favour of a bit of rolloff in the treble as long as I keep that Proac midrange. I am also combining with subs and think the SM100, being monitors, might be better suited.

Last edited:
There are both very refined speakers. The SM100s are smoother but just a detailed and have more bottom end and midrange presence. The RDB1 are smaller D2s.
I listened to RDB1, D2's & D20Rs. Bought SM100s ....

There are both very refined speakers. The SM100s are smoother but just a detailed and have more bottom end and midrange presence. The RDB1 are smaller D2s.
I listened to RDB1, D2's & D20Rs. Bought SM100s ....
Thx that helps nice list of speakers you’ve tried. I am not a big fan of Ribbon tweeters and prefer the soft dome.

Ofcourse speakers are a personal choice but I would like to avoid the risk buying the RDB1 blind whilst having tested the SM100 and Tab 10 Sig and out of those preferring the SM100’s.

A bit odd if you think of it since the Response’s are marketed as the hifi speaker and the Studio more as a work/monitor speaker.

The SM100s are something very special. I had a conversation with Stewart Tyler (ProAc owner) and he told me he personally spent 3 years working on and testing the design of the crossovers till he was totally satisfied they surpassed the legendary status the S100s had gained in the pro world (the predecessors to the SM100's).

The SM100s are something very special. I had a conversation with Stewart Tyler (ProAc owner) and he told me he personally spent 3 years working on and testing the design of the crossovers till he was totally satisfied they surpassed the legendary status the S100s had gained in the pro world (the predecessors to the SM100's).

I also had an email chat with Stewart and he told me to also demo the SM100.I was surprised a bit when I asked about a Rosewood version of the SM100 that he told me it was not readily available and that I should try the Proac D2 or RDB1 which were “better” than the SM100. I was surprised he called the old D2 and RDB1 better than the SM100. Hence my confusion and raising this question on this forum.

I think the Studio 1, Studio 100 and today's SM100 were made firstly for the pro market. They have to perform at all levels and be very reliable. As far as I can see, they represent a much better vfm than any other small monitors in the PROAC range.

You don't see D2's or RDB1's in recording studios but you see SM100's because they perform like a monitor should. Their price have to be competitive with other pro market monitors because recording engineers need a working tool and don't care about hifi fashions.

I had these made by Custom Design. IMHO, they made a very substantial improvement. They are 30(ish)Kg each from memory.

Chord Epic SC is good stuff, NACA5 may give you a little more body to the midband. A HICAP will make a substantial difference.
From my experiences with the SM100s, they can clearly handle a much higher grade of amp and power.

Would the Chord epic be as rigid as the Naim cable?

I've been following this thread with interest and CK positive comments on the SM100 I may one day audition a pair.
For now I'm one happy Tab 10 Sig owner and these babies can sing and to me the best mini monitor I have heard.

advertisement

Back