advertisement

Who's heard the new ProAc SM100's?

I've been following this thread with interest and CK positive comments on the SM100 I may one day audition a pair.
For now I'm one happy Tab 10 Sig owner and these babies can sing and to me the best mini monitor I have heard.

How long you had the Tab 10 Siggies now.... run in?

Sorry about the thread drift.

That said the SM100 do look worth a demo...…..

I can back up CK's comments with regards to the SM100's. Truly outstanding speakers and well worth an audition if you get chance. Very versatile too with regards to amps and positioning.

How long you had the Tab 10 Siggies now.... run in?

Sorry about the thread drift.

That said the SM100 do look worth a demo...…..

Two months i think??
They sound great Tarzan and a lift in every direction over the standard Tabs.
Installed the WH Phantom speaker cable about 2-3 weeks ago and that's me done now I don't see how I can improve things any further.

272/555DR/250DR

Evening all.

Finally got the SM100s fixed by ProAc (New cabinets). Via Elite Audio. Took them to ProAc personally.

However, they now sound 'different'.

Tad tighter, sharper, leaner, smaller stage. Less textured, lush, organic and warm. Not as musical or delicate. I'm kinda wishing I didn't get the cabinets fixed!

They did have a real natural tone and lovely ambience. Now they sound a hard and a bit clinical. Lacking the the deft texture and tone and uncanny subtly they had before.

Any thoughts on why this might be?

Cheers
Adam

I can back up CK's comments with regards to the SM100's. Truly outstanding speakers and well worth an audition if you get chance. Very versatile too with regards to amps and positioning.
Are you sure they didn't just swap them out for a brand new pair? if so they'll take about 3-4 weeks/200hrs to break in.

Positive. The drivers are the originals as they had a slight mark on them. Still there.

Potentially some replaced wires inside?

There are definitely a degree cooler.
A notch livelier. A tad less seducing.

Maybe just need time to resettle.

It's the cross-overs that take the most time run-in. I'd imagine they didn't take them out the old speakers cabs as it's probably more hassle than it's worth. Worth a call to proac, ask exactly what was done ?

It's the cross-overs that take the most time run-in. I'd imagine they didn't take them out the old speakers cabs as it's probably more hassle than it's worth. Worth a call to proac, ask exactly what was done ?

Panic sort of over! Don't laugh!

I just realised that when I turned my system on tonight I pressed only the single button on the Hugo2. Instead of holding two buttons to start it up in 'line level mode'. So the Hugo2 volume control was 'activated' and set slightly below line level volume.

Absolutely mad but Hugo2 on line level sounds so lovely, organic and analogue. But with volume enabled it sounds colder and harder?

There's part of a Drake track called After Dark, at the end of the track there an interlude type thing of American late night DJ voiceover and piano (Sample from Maxwell). It sounds so warm and fuzzy... in a good way. As soon as I played that I knew something definitelt wasn't right/the same. Cold and empty and lost all the atmospherics.

Whoops!

How are your new speakers Robby?
Adam

They are great thank you. They are so different to the SM100’s that it is difficult to do a proper comparison. To me the SM100s exude class and do very little wrong. I much preferred them to the Harbeth Monitor 30’s I had immediately before.

The Boenicke’s though, to my ears, have a magical quality to them that just edges the Proacs.

I hope that you continue to enjoy them after some initial frustration after getting the cabinet’s changed. I am surprised that the drivers are worth enough to warrant new presumably costly cabinets - I would have thought they would just replace the whole speaker.

They are great thank you. They are so different to the SM100’s that it is difficult to do a proper comparison. To me the SM100s exude class and do very little wrong. I much preferred them to the Harbeth Monitor 30’s I had immediately before.

The Boenicke’s though, to my ears, have a magical quality to them that just edges the Proacs.

I hope that you continue to enjoy them after some initial frustration after getting the cabinet’s changed. I am surprised that the drivers are worth enough to warrant new presumably costly cabinets - I would have thought they would just replace the whole speaker.

Hi Robby,

Sounds like you found a fantastic speaker!

The SM100s are really singing now with my Hugo2 and SN2. I'm listening to Chicane - Far From The Maddening Crowds and I have what I now consider to be tight, accurate, super clean and clear sound but still with weight, musicality and fluidity. The SM100s are a super speaker. Im trying to find that middle crowd between musicality and hifi crispness.

I've seen some interesting options for the future lately like Kii Audio Three and Dutch & Dutch 8c. As well as the AVi DM12s.

However I think I might be pretty darnt happy for the first time in a long time.

I'm blown away by how impressive the Chord DAC is when you get speakers and an amp that open up more.

Low level listening is really solid and clean! No need to turn it up!

Going to enjoy this setup for a while. Maybe try a Hi Cap DR before exploring Audionet and the likes at that level.

What Boenicke model have you chosen? They look f-ing sexy!

Hi Robby,

Sounds like you found a fantastic speaker!

The SM100s are really singing now with my Hugo2 and SN2. I'm listening to Chicane - Far From The Maddening Crowds and I have what I now consider to be tight, accurate, super clean and clear sound but still with weight, musicality and fluidity. The SM100s are a super speaker. Im trying to find that middle crowd between musicality and hifi crispness.

I've seen some interesting options for the future lately like Kii Audio Three and Dutch & Dutch 8c. As well as the AVi DM12s.

However I think I might be pretty darnt happy for the first time in a long time.

I'm blown away by how impressive the Chord DAC is when you get speakers and an amp that open up more.

Low level listening is really solid and clean! No need to turn it up!

Going to enjoy this setup for a while. Maybe try a Hi Cap DR before exploring Audionet and the likes at that level.

What Boenicke model have you chosen? They look f-ing sexy!

I'm glad the SM100's are demonstrating what they can do. I think that unless you are going to be spending significantly more then they are a hard speaker to better overall - the speakers you have mentioned are a radical departure from what you have at the moment. I have mused for a long time about simplifying what I have and going for a one box system or actives but I still like the idea of swapping out components to get the sound I want.

In terms of amps the Proac's are very unfussy I feel - I would try and dem a valve amp with them personally and see what you think. I have probably said this before but the Unison Research Simply Italy amp I used with them was remarkable.

I've not heard the Hugo 2 DAC you have but by all accounts it doesn't get more cutting edge in terms of DAC topology.

I have the smallest model in the Boenicke range - the W5. I have the SE variant and am still bowled over by them. I cannot see myself changing them anytime soon.

Did anyone had a chance to listen to the new Proac Response D2R? Wondering how they would compare to the SM100.

Thanks to the support of a couple of PFM’s and dealers, I purchased a pair of Proac SM100’s a few weeks ago. I have put around 150 to 200hrs of listening time in and they keep on improving!

Just thought I would share my story. I’m actually coming from a very good speaker the Harbeth SHL5+ and after around 2 years of ownership I just felt a little uninspired (What!!! I hear Harbeth owners say). In addition, I was struggling with some room/boom. Now I know they can sound better in a larger room but having moved to a different house and a smaller listening room I decided it was time for a change.

On my testing hit lists were the Proac SM100 and Dynaudio Special 40.

Dynaudio Special 40: it’s a great speaker with a large bass output for its size. With live recordings, it almost has a sense of placing you in the audience. That said after extended listening I felt the sound was somewhat unrealistic almost treated for my taste. I also had to use the supplied foam in the ports to reduce the bass output in my listening space.

Proac SM100: to my ears these speakers time, are voiced wonderfully with great control and very easy to place regardless of room constrictions. Most importantly I find myself really enjoying music swaying to rhythm’s or gasping at a guitar solo … you get the idea.

Proac SM100 vs Harbeth SHL5+: with the Proacs, I found their sound superior for Blues, Rock, Reggae, Electronica. The SHL5+’s generally won out on Jazz, easy listening, some classical - not by much but I think generally due to their fuller 3 way sound. In terms of listening volume, the Proacs sound better at low volume and actually at the other end of loudness.

To sum up for a sub £2k pair standmount speakers they are well worth auditioning and I don’t think they get the publicity they deserve.

Very good summary of the SM100s. I often switch between ProAc Studio100s and Dynaudio S25s depending on the mood. Both are marvelous speakers that were discountinued not one but two times and put back into production due to many requests. There is a reason why a classic is a classic.

advertisement

Back