advertisement

Who's heard the new ProAc SM100's?

The other amp you could consider is the Job Integrated. It's limited on inputs but does have a very, very good DAC built in.

If the lack of inputs is not a problem maybe worth messaging @notevenclose for his thoughts. He's owned some pretty high end stuff and rates it very highly.

I haven't heard the Hugo2 but have owned the Mojo and 2Qute. Assuming the house sound is similar I always felt that the presentation of both Chords was a little on the unnatural side. There was masses of information and detail but at the expense of musicality to my ears. I can understand why some people may like the presentation though - just wasn't for me.

I preferred the Aries Mini's internal DAC to be honest which was bested by an Audio Note 0.1x and subsequently a Schiit Gungnir Multibit.

Cheers, Robby.

Funny old world. I had both the Gumby and the Audionote 0.1x on home loan and stuck with the Chord H2. I could hear the plus points particularly in the AN. However I like the solidity of the H2 and couldn't let it go.
The only DAC i think that might sway me is the PS Audio Direct Stream.

I do plan to try other DACs because I hear what you are saying on the 'unnatural' side of Chord DACs. A little clinical due to the note separation. Very good though at what they do well.

Cheers, Robby.

Funny old world. I had both the Gumby and the Audionote 0.1x on home loan and stuck with the Chord H2. I could hear the plus points particularly in the AN. However I like the solidity of the H2 and couldn't let it go.
The only DAC i think that might sway me is the PS Audio Direct Stream.

I do plan to try other DACs because I hear what you are saying on the 'unnatural' side of Chord DACs. A little clinical due to the note separation. Very good though at what they do well.

I almost bought the Direct Stream Junior DAC but read about some issues it had with noise and they keep messing around with the firmware which would annoy the life out of me.

I have found that they react perfectly to whatever you feed them with. They are very flexible and work well with amps 12 watts and up with no issues. With a 12 watt SET amp they sounded huge, on the warmer side of neutral with an expansive soundstage. With a Sugden A21 they sounded clear and direct.

The closest speaker that I have been able to compare them to was a pair of Harbeth 30.1's. They wiped the floor with those speakers in virtually every area.

Thanks Robby, useful as I'm familiar with 30.1, did the SM100 offer more or less bass than 30.1? The 30.1 was at the very limit of what my room can take.

In my room the 30.1 had very little bass - not sure why.

The SM100's had far better bass in my room. Deeper and tighter.

Incidentally, @Adamgordoncr8, do Proac have your SM100's in for repair now?

Hi Robby,
Not yet! I think EA are processing an insurance claim. So just waiting on a response.

While we on the subject, I can't fathom ever selling these things. Quite beautiful.

I think someone above asked about describing their sound.

I'd say just stick them on and enjoy the music. They make you forget hifi. They're that good.

I can't say I've said that many times. Wonderful.

I think a new amp and I'll have found my resting point for many years to come.

Hi Robby,
Not yet! I think EA are processing an insurance claim. So just waiting on a response.

While we on the subject, I can't fathom ever selling these things. Quite beautiful.

I think someone above asked about describing their sound.

I'd say just stick them on and enjoy the music. They make you forget hifi. They're that good.

I can't say I've said that many times. Wonderful.

I think a new amp and I'll have found my resting point for many years to come.

They are special. One of the best speakers I've heard at almost any price.

As I may have mentioned I have had to spend over double to "better" them.

Robby, It's a shame you never got to try your new amp with the SM100s, the difference/betterment you're experiencing could simply be the amp as all your system changed in one deal.

Robby, It's a shame you never got to try your new amp with the SM100s, the difference/betterment you're experiencing could simply be the amp as all your system changed in one deal.

The way that the Boenicke's are designed I am not sure the SM100's would have ever given me the same enveloping soundstage.

They are one of the very few speakers that I would happily own again though of the dozens I've owned.

Thanks Robby, useful as I'm familiar with 30.1, did the SM100 offer more or less bass than 30.1? The 30.1 was at the very limit of what my room can take.

This might have been due to positioning (too close to side walls) or a hump in the mid-bass from your source, amp, or room mode. They are unlikely to have too much lower bass extension for your room as they fall off a cliff below 50Hz.

The way that the Boenicke's are designed I am not sure the SM100's would have ever given me the same enveloping soundstage.

They are one of the very few speakers that I would happily own again though of the dozens I've owned.

You'd be surprised how much they respond to different amplification. In my system they virtually disappear. The sound has a completely encompassing stage.

You'd be surprised how much they respond to different amplification. In my system they virtually disappear. The sound has a completely encompassing stage.

Having my Tab 10's being the most ridiculously fun speakers l think l have ever had, do the SM100's share the same virtues does any know?:)

advertisement

Back