advertisement

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realized I am digging quite far into the thread but as anyone tried this combo: 8C + minidsp SHD? studio version or not.
Thanks

Since posting this, I ordered a full size SHD to try it out. Now I sell both SHD models. They are effectively transparent, which is to say that I cannot tell the difference between filtering and AD conversion applied inside the SHD or inside the speakers. Using one in front of the 8c speakers adds a volume knob, multiple analogue and digital inputs, multiple EQ presets, Dirac Live room correction, a music streamer, a remote handset and support for a couple of really tightly integrated subwoofers.

Since posting this, I ordered a full size SHD to try it out. Now I sell both SHD models. They are effectively transparent, which is to say that I cannot tell the difference between filtering and AD conversion applied inside the SHD or inside the speakers. Using one in front of the 8c speakers adds a volume knob, multiple analogue and digital inputs, multiple EQ presets, Dirac Live room correction, a music streamer, a remote handset and support for a couple of really tightly integrated subwoofers.

Could comment on the music streamer, Volumio? On screenshots the interface does not look that great.
You said that I sell them. Do you mean that you have replaced these devices but a better alternative?
Thanks

Could comment on the music streamer, Volumio? On screenshots the interface does not look that great.
You said that I sell them. Do you mean that you have replaced these devices but a better alternative?
Thanks

I mean that I am now an authorised retailer for MiniDSP products and that I stock the two SHD models. I am also a Dutch & Dutch retailer.

Volumio works well, it supports a broad range of services and integrations, and it is built right into the SHD models. The user interface is pretty good. I could happily live with it, but as a retailer I have lots of other options available to me. More often than not, I use an external music streamer or server connected via USB, AES or coaxial cable to the SHD, rather than the built-in Volumio streamer.

Just had a call from Martijn (D&D). He will deliver my 8c's Friday 10th May and set them up.

Really looking forward to receiving them as the loaner pair I had for three weeks kind of spoiled my current speakers. Not that they are bad speakers but I have a really lively room so the ability to "tune" the 8c's really helped.

Paul - Rotterdam

Just had a call from Martijn (D&D). He will deliver my 8c's Friday 10th May and set them up.

Really looking forward to receiving them as the loaner pair I had for three weeks kind of spoiled my current speakers. Not that they are bad speakers but I have a really lively room so the ability to "tune" the 8c's really helped.

Bet you can’t wait...

Could it be that the distortion comes from the parametric EQ'ing of the 8 inch woofers to get the very low end response, this is why speakers like these need a lot of power too.
I have mixed feeling about EQ'ing the bass end, my own speakers do this too and despite their compact(ish) dimensions don't sound a natural at the bass end as big JBl's or big ATC's that are er..."naturally aspirated".

Could it be that the distortion comes from the parametric EQ'ing of the 8 inch woofers to get the very low end response, this is why speakers like these need a lot of power too.
I have mixed feeling about EQ'ing the bass end, my own speakers do this too and despite their compact(ish) dimensions don't sound a natural at the bass end as big JBl's or big ATC's that are er..."naturally aspirated".

They are actually quite conservative when it comes to boosting low end output. In their free space mode, the lows are rolled off, as you can see from the charts.

They are actually quite conservative when it comes to boosting low end output. In their free space mode, the lows are rolled off, as you can see from the charts.

I've heard the 8C's briefly at the show in Cheshire , they remind me (as do the Kii's) of my own speakers. Lyngdorf used a similar idea with their wall and corner subs, not sure they still make either now, they were good sounding system when they were set-up correctly.

90db is hardly high level. at 90db, its already over 1% distortion at 50hz! probably even higher at 30hz!
this means this speakers must have about 10% thd at 100 db spl!!!!

What should I have heard (that was wrong), when auditioning these speakers in my home, regarding these figures?

90db is hardly high level. at 90db, its already over 1% distortion at 50hz! probably even higher at 30hz!
this means this speakers must have about 10% thd at 100 db spl!!!!

I'm not too worried about ditortion measurements in the sub-bass (I think that the NRC chamber is only anechoic down to 50Hz anyway), but agree that the speaker is producing too much distortion in the upper-bass region. That's why I raised the issue a few pages back:

I wonder what is causing the ~5% distortion between 100 and 150Hz at 90dB?

Last edited:
What should I have heard (that was wrong), when auditioning these speakers in my home, regarding these figures?

It's hard to say. For one you'd need to have accurate speakers as reference, use music/recordings that would reveal problems and know what to expect sound-wise. Besides, some types of distortion sound nice to some people so you may even enjoy the results.

That's what makes evaluating performance through listening, as opposed to "tasting", so complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back