advertisement

who on the forum thinks all amps sound the same?

numerous posters keep using the expression that 'lots of pfm users say all amps sound the same' so i asked the question.

so far no one says all amps sound the same so it proves that the expression by certain users of the forum is inaccurate and has no basis in fact.....

Some forum users believe amps sound different for reasons unknown to science, and that these differences vanish under test conditions because the tests are faulty. The others would probably agree that most amps in most circumstances are indistinguishable.

Paul

Only a cretin would claim that all amps sound the same, regardless of power capability, speaker load, etc.

I assume the question is: do all amps sound the same if they have sufficient power for the SPL required and are designed to perform within spec when driving the load of a given speaker?

nik ,
why are you asking your own version of my question?

that is not why i asked the question and i have just explained why i asked the question.

What about amps that measure the same?
All amps measure the "same" to a degree that differences are allegedly below audibility, assuming we are within rated power, of course.

How do you define "the same"?

Some forum users believe amps sound different for reasons unknown to science, and that these differences vanish under test conditions because the tests are faulty. The others would probably agree that most amps in most circumstances are indistinguishable.

Paul
I have never seen this expressed here. All amps sound different because it is all but impossible for any of them to sound the same for totally scientific reasons. (see post 81)

why are you asking your own version of my question?
Because your question is absurd, unless there is a rider.

It reduces to a tautology. All amps that sound the same, sound the same. I agree with that. Others, however, don't. They believe that amps that sound the same sound different. There are some of them on this thread. Hundreds more on other more protected fora.

Paul

I have never seen this expressed here.
It's a common theme. 'subjectivists' will never partake in listening tests.

All amps sound different because it is all but impossible for any of them to sound the same for totally scientific reasons.
A human listener really is not that sensitive.

In fact a well designed amp should be very consistent from sample to sample, as indeed it should be from channel to channel.

Paul

numerous posters keep using the expression that 'lots of pfm users say all amps sound the same' so i asked the question.

so far no one says all amps sound the same so it proves that the expression by certain users of the forum is inaccurate and has no basis in fact.....
I'm sure that some have implied as much, with the usual provisos of "within rated power", etc. You know, the ones who think that Peter Walker was right.

In fact a well designed amp should be very consistent from sample to sample, as indeed it should be from channel to channel.

Paul
And any differences will be below the threshold of audibility anyway (as alleged by objectivists).

And any differences will be below the threshold of audibility anyway (as alleged by objectivists).
You mean 'as determined by listening tests'.

I didn't agree with most of your post, but the bit in the quote really is bunkum.
Why?

Your point appears to be that all amps sound different in some imprecise way that cannot be determined by listening tests. You are expressing the point you'd never seen expressed...

Paul

Paul

Spot on!

Human ears are a very poor receptor.

Maybe so, but the brain (at least in some people:)) is a very good processor. It is also the same processor that decides what the measuring equipment is/not telling us.

Maybe so, but the brain (at least in some people:)) is a very good processor. It is also the same processor that decides what the measuring equipment is/not telling us.

The brain is just as easily fooled.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean 'as determined by listening tests'.
Well, yes. Apparently several % THD is inaudible in these tests yet audiophiles claim to hear differences between amps which all measure orders of magnitude better than that.

I take it that you do think all amps sound the same (with the obvious provisos)?

I do not, but I've never taken a blind test so I could be imagining it (even though some of the differences have seemed huge and obvious!).

Has anyone here taken this test, or a similar one?

advertisement

Back