advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have Laphroaig turned down the phenol over the years? Alternatively my taste has changed. I used to find standard Laph. very phenolic, I didn't much like it, but it was very distinctive. It remains the only whisky I could identify blind on nose alone. 18 year old Laph was excessively phenolic and I actively disliked it. These days I find the standard less distinctive. The phenol is still there but is not as strident as it was 20 years ago.

I bought a bottle of the QC having tried it, and enjoyed it, during the distillery tour. When I opened the bottle I wasn't desperately impressed by it at first, but not sure if it's down to changes in it or with me but I like it a lot more now. I had a dram of it last night and it was good. The only other Laphroaig I've got in at the moment is the 16 and while that is better it's also quite a bit more expensive.
We were talking about the Arran QC Steve...
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/arran/arran-bothy-quarter-cask-whisky/

Perhaps there is something to the 'neck pour' theory after all? Even so, I found adding a few drops of water, and time in the glass, really helped bring out the flavour.

But sometimes the stars must just align because I often find my enjoyment of the same whisky changes between sessions. All part of the magic and elusivity of whiskey eh?

Just taken a punt on the Arran Amarone finish

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008H83N10/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Seems like good value for a 50% and people seem to think its excellent. I'm not a fan of the Sherry/Madeira finishes because they're too sweet for my taste, but I'm a bit partial to Amarone, so hopefully this might hit the spot for me.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just taken a punt on the Arran Amarone finish

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008H83N10/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Seems like good value for a 50% and people seem to think its excellent. I'm not a fan of the Sherry/Madeira finishes because they're too sweet for my taste, but I'm a bit partial to Amarone, so hopefully this might hit the spot for me.

I've got a bottle of that and like it, however in a blind tasting I did a few weeks back everyone except me scored it the lowest of the 5 whiskies that were tried.

I've got a bottle of that and like it, however in a blind tasting I did a few weeks back everyone except me scored it the lowest of the 5 whiskies that were tried.
Was that the family one somebody did (can't remember if it was you)? If so, I believe most in your family are fairly new to whisky; maybe that accounts for some of the differences in taste/preference?

Was that the family one somebody did (can't remember if it was you)? If so, I believe most in your family are fairly new to whisky; maybe that accounts for some of the differences in taste/preference?

Correct. The milder/easy drinking stuff scored higher with them than the more complex stuff. Put it this way - the Lagavulin 16 scored 4th of out 5 with them.

Correct. The milder/easy drinking stuff scored higher with them than the more complex stuff. Put it this way - the Lagavulin 16 scored 4th of out 5 with them.
Yep, that was the dark suspicion lurking away :D. Probably not an entry-level dram for a newbie, then, but hopefully someone already semi-pickled like myself will enjoy it.

Not easy to find over here now, but I used to have a few bottles of this, which was lovely.

81T45zU-gbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I bought a bottle of the QC having tried it, and enjoyed it, during the distillery tour. When I opened the bottle I wasn't desperately impressed by it at first, but not sure if it's down to changes in it or with me but I like it a lot more now. I had a dram of it last night and it was good. The only other Laphroaig I've got in at the moment is the 16 and while that is better it's also quite a bit more expensive.

Something i noticed about the QC is that it works particularly well for me after something peated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back