advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
37 open bottles :eek:

Never more than two here, a malt for straight and a blended for mixing.

Choice a tad limited now that mail order booze has been stopped here :(
A very kind soul regifted me a bottle of unwanted Ardberg 17...... enjoying that.

Never more than two here, a malt for straight and a blended for mixing.

Choice a tad limited now that mail order booze has been stopped here :(
A very kind soul regifted me a bottle of unwanted Ardberg 17...... enjoying that.
Similar to my strategy. I currently own 12 bottles of which 4 are open.
Aside from the 1962 Tamdu which is on a super slow trajectory; I like to have a couple of contrasting Malts, currently Laphroig 10 and a 21 year old Arran, on the go. Those are backed up with something cheap but enjoyable in its own way that role is taken by the Bulleit Rye that I use in Old Fashioned cocktails . It is stunning there.

Next big hitter up on the malt roster is likely to be the cask strength Seaweed and Aeons Islay and a Blair Athol 10 to back that up. Maybe a BB&R peated blend in the cheap seat.

I plan for only for the first role; Glen Scotia 15, Arran 14 and Arran 23 are waiting there and fill the rest with current offers.

I’d not thought about this pattern too much before but I’m guessing that the cost of the top line bottle averages out at about £70 and turns over every 8 weeks. Second and third lines probably average £35 and £23 respectively and both turn over every 4 weeks. That brings me to an annual budget of around £1300. Less than I thought but still quite a sobering number;)

PS: that said if all I needed was a drink.....

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

I was quite surprised that it had gone that far! My initial guess was that it was a fair bit less but I've been trying to learn more about whisky so have been opening the bottles when they arrive to try them and expand my knowledge, including on what I like etc.

I'm going to go through my list and identify the merely ok stuff and then target getting those finished - probably via highballs and old fashioneds as I want to clear the mediocre stuff. I've got a birthday coming soon and suspect there will be a few more coming so definitely need to get it more under control. It'll be easier when my kids can visit again as they like whisky and are also keen to be educated(!) so have provided useful assistance in the past with helping me get through the whisky I have (both are keen on Laphroaig so that takes a battering!). My brother in law is also keen to learn more about whiskies as well so also usually helps - he's less demanding though and happily downs whatever I put in front of him.

PS: that said if all I needed was a drink.....

That Woods Navy strength is one I added bought as I was looking for something cheap but ok to use in rum old fashioneds and dark and stormies and that looked like an option. For that purpose it's good - £21 and 57% alcohol is a good start. It's not really a sipping rum as it's quite sweet and treacly and maybe even a tad bitter - but it's great for use it cocktails and mixers. I've not tried it in a horses neck yet (and suspect that's not something I've had since my Navy days) but will get around to trying it like that.

Oddly enough, despite them being towards the cheaper end of what I've got, it's looking like that Woods Navy strength rum and the Suntory Toki are going to be ones that get finished fairly quickly as both work really well in cocktails and highballs. The Toki is one of the nicest whiskies I've tried in a highball.

One of the top "get finished candidates" is the Bowmore 12 and while I find it a slight rough (compared to the 15 and 18 anyway) for drinking straight it makes a lovely old-fashioned. I might even try and finish that bottle today!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That Woods Navy strength is one I added bought as I was looking for something cheap but ok to use in rum old fashioneds and dark and stormies and that looked like an option. For that purpose it's good - £21 and 57% alcohol is a good start. It's not really a sipping rum as it's quite sweet and treacly and maybe even a tad bitter - but it's great for use it cocktails and mixers. I've not tried it in a horses neck yet (and suspect that's not something I've had since my Navy days) but will get around to trying it like that.

Oddly enough, despite them being towards the cheaper end of what I've got, it's looking like that Woods Navy strength rum and the Suntory Toki are going to be ones that get finished fairly quickly as both work really well in cocktails and highballs. The Toki is one of the nicest whiskies I've tried in a highball.

One of the top "get finished candidates" is the Bowmore 12 and while I find it a slight rough (compared to the 15 and 18 anyway) for drinking straight it makes a lovely old-fashioned. I might even try and finish that bottle today!

If you are interested in Woods there is a good piece here on the distillery. Some of the kit may date back to 1732:)

Well; as cheap as it is, that Cutty Sark is not 'alf bad... Much better than JW Red, Teachers, Bells etc

Very much a suppin' whisky to not think about.

Haven't tried the Naked Grouse yet; that'll probably be tonight :D

Looks like I've a few interesting bottles (plus a membership for the Scottish Malt Whisky Society) coming for my birthday next weekend. When asked to select a SMWS bottle I decided to go with one with the highest ABV (66.9%!) that was reasonably priced - so will be interested to find out how that is. It's a young (7-year old) Speyside that spent its first 5 years in an ex-oloroso cask then the rest in a refill oak one.

Looks like I've a few interesting bottles (plus a membership for the Scottish Malt Whisky Society) coming for my birthday next weekend. When asked to select a SMWS bottle I decided to go with one with the highest ABV (66.9%!) that was reasonably priced - so will be interested to find out how that is. It's a young (7-year old) Speyside that spent its first 5 years in an ex-oloroso cask then the rest in a refill oak one.

Make sure you look up the code so you know which distillery it's come from

http://www.whiskyportal.com/smws/

Naked Grouse - For £20 very good. Wouldn't pay any more than that; but a tasty whisky with a lot more character than the Cutty Sark. Daft I know, but the cork lid makes a very satisfying pop :D

So far in my quest to reduce the number of open bottles I've managed to finish off the Bowmore 12 (which didn't have much left anyway) and the next 2 candidates are the Auchentoshan American Oak and the Singleton Speycascade. There isn't really anything all that wrong with either, just both are a tad boring. So I'm currently celebrating the end of a long working week with an old fashioned using the Singleton - and very nice it is to. The next set of candidates to clear out are:
- Highland Park 12
- Talisker Skye
- Aberlour 10
- Aberfeldy 12
- Highland Park Dark Legend
- Ledaig Rioja Cask

It's likely to take me a while to finish those off though, as while some of them already have a fair dent in their contents some of the others are nearly full!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back