advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not touched anything for a week (tooth abscess); that's being yanked out on Monday, so it'll be another good week before I touch a drop :(

Safe to say though; that 25 year old SMWS bottle has been tucked away ;)

image.jpg

Decisions decisions..

I had my first Edradour experience last night finally (10 year, non-chill filtered). What a complex, unique dram that was. I haven't picked it apart yet but I was struck by a distinct roasted/toasted <something> (chestnuts?) flavor, which caught me off-guard. I'm used to expecting some smokiness but the toasted flavor was new for me. Given the very dark color, are the barrels maybe charred?

I had my first Edradour experience last night finally (10 year, non-chill filtered). What a complex, unique dram that was. I haven't picked it apart yet but I was struck by a distinct roasted/toasted <something> (chestnuts?) flavor, which caught me off-guard. I'm used to expecting some smokiness but the toasted flavor was new for me. Given the very dark color, are the barrels maybe charred?

Is that the 46% ABV one? Interested to hear your thoughts on it as it's one I'm interested in. I've got the basic 10-year old 40% one at the moment and that's decent.

Is that the 46% ABV one? Interested to hear your thoughts on it as it's one I'm interested in. I've got the basic 10-year old 40% one at the moment and that's decent.

Yes, it's the 46% Signatory bottling, purchased directly from the distillery. I'm still awful at describing what I taste, and it's really a complex one IMO. I'll have to report back. For now, after one tasting, I can only say that I like it a lot.

For reference, my usual go-to whiskies are Arran and Springbank. Not saying that Edradour is just like them, but it nevertheless suits my tastes, if that makes sense? The main difference is that it hits a lot heavier than those two.

The eldest is showing an interest - he enjoyed our visit to Cotswolds last Sept and bought a glencairn glass...which he requested last time we dropped food off at his student house. I'm on leave today and have made up 10 sample bottles of various drams for him to taste - whisky is for sharing they say!

The eldest is showing an interest - he enjoyed our visit to Cotswolds last Sept and bought a glencairn glass...which he requested last time we dropped food off at his student house. I'm on leave today and have made up 10 sample bottles of various drams for him to taste - whisky is for sharing they say!

My son and daughter both like the occasional dram but mostly they'll only drink whisky when they are at our house. My son has a couple of bottles at his place (Talisker Storm and Smokehead - which will give you an idea of what he likes) but my daughter and her partner are mostly gin drinkers. I like the idea of making up a tasting kit for them though - will need to give that some thought. Might be an idea to set up a virtual blind tasting with them.

My Lagavulin and Laphroaig tend to take a battering when they visit, but next time they're able to come visit I'll have lots of new stuff for them to try.

My son and daughter both like the occasional dram but mostly they'll only drink whisky when they are at our house. My son has a couple of bottles at his place (Talisker Storm and Smokehead - which will give you an idea of what he likes) but my daughter and her partner are mostly gin drinkers. I like the idea of making up a tasting kit for them though - will need to give that some thought. Might be an idea to set up a virtual blind tasting with them.

My Lagavulin and Laphroaig tend to take a battering when they visit, but next time they're able to come visit I'll have lots of new stuff for them to try.

I find my Lagavulin has "sorry - just run out" when I have visitors

Highland Park 12, Bunnahabhain 12, Springbank 10, Ardbeg 10, Glenfiddich 12, Glendronach 12, Clynelish 14, Laphroaig QC, Glendronach 18 and Lagavulin 16.
His birthday coming up...:)

Inspired by the above I've just ordered a load of re-useable 5cl bottles and am going to use them to set a virtual whisky tasting with my kids!

My Lagavulin 16 is nearly finished (although I've hopes there might be a bottle as a birthday present tomorrow!) and I've decided to put the others I have but am saving (the 11-year old Offerman Edition 11-year old and the 9-year old Game of Thrones) up the loft so I don't decide to open them when the 16 runs out!
I have the GoT version saved for later...

When I do the tasting with my kids I was thinking something like this would give a decent spread of regions and styles:

1. Auchentoshan American Oak (Lowland/Glasgow, NAS, 40%) - my daughter live in Glasgow so would probably appreciate a local one even if it's a bit average
2. Highland Park 12 (Island, 12yr, 40%) - Not one of my favourites but it's a bit of a standard
3. JW Green (Blend, 15yr, 43%) - Not only a blend but I think it's very good for the money as well as being pretty smooth tasting
4. Balvenie Carribean Cask (Speyside, 14yr, 43%) - Something a little different but I find it enjoyable
5. Suntory Toki (Japan, NAS, 43%) - the wild-card and very light tasting so possibly popular with the less experienced
6. Kilchoman Machir Bay Cask Strength (Islay, NAS, 58.6%) - throwing in a cask strength option to see what they think of it.

Likely it'll be them and their partners, so with me that'll be 5 drams of each - so I think I'll keep the expensive stuff out of it until I see how the first virtual tasting goes. I'm not sure they're ready for Octomore yet anyway...

I have the GoT version saved for later...

I've not opened mine but have tried it when I did a tasting at the distillery last year. It was very nice. I still preferred the 16 but both are more than decent. I also tried the Offerman at that visit although the stand-out for me was the Distillers Edition. It was kind of like the 16 but taken to a slightly higher level - it's on my to-do list to get a bottle of that.

When I do the tasting with my kids I was thinking something like this would give a decent spread of regions and styles:

1. Auchentoshan American Oak (Lowland/Glasgow, NAS, 40%) - my daughter live in Glasgow so would probably appreciate a local one even if it's a bit average
2. Highland Park 12 (Island, 12yr, 40%) - Not one of my favourites but it's a bit of a standard
3. JW Green (Blend, 15yr, 43%) - Not only a blend but I think it's very good for the money as well as being pretty smooth tasting
4. Balvenie Carribean Cask (Speyside, 14yr, 43%) - Something a little different but I find it enjoyable
5. Suntory Toki (Japan, NAS, 43%) - the wild-card and very light tasting so possibly popular with the less experienced
6. Kilchoman Machir Bay Cask Strength (Islay, NAS, 58.6%) - throwing in a cask strength option to see what they think of it.

Likely it'll be them and their partners, so with me that'll be 5 drams of each - so I think I'll keep the expensive stuff out of it until I see how the first virtual tasting goes. I'm not sure they're ready for Octomore yet anyway...

That's a good list; although I'd be tempted to stick a peated one in there, something like a Ballechin or maybe a Bunna; but nothing too mad like an Ardbeg or Laga 16 etc...

And no; hide the Octamore haha ;)

That's a good list; although I'd be tempted to stick a peated one in there, something like a Ballechin or maybe a Bunna; but nothing too mad like an Ardbeg or Laga 16 etc...

The Kilchoman was my peaty option (although it's not all that heavily peated by Islay standards). I could switch maybe the Highland Park or the JW Green for the Loch Turret Peat Smoked. That'd get a Highland region one in, as well as one at a medium ABV as it's 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back