advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finishing the last of the Dalmore Port Wood finish...

A few drams left ;)

Nowt special, but I've no suppin' whisky left, so just ordered a bottle of Cutty Sark and Naked Grouse :D

Had neither, the Cutty Sark I see in films, mainly mafia based one's etc, so thought why not haha... It'll probably be a lot like J&B Rare

Will report back when they land

Finished up last night with a very small measure of Port Charlotte MRC01. The glass this morning smelt deliciously of rich chocolate. I’ll see if I get that on the nose, next time.
Had another last night, purely in the interests of scientific enquiry you understand. Didn’t get chocolate on the nose, but it’s there in the mouth. Hadn’t noticed it until I sniffed the glass the morning after, so I’ll do that with others too, could be instructive.

Some interesting stuff at Wemyss malts.
https://wemyssmalts.com/shop
I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago to "celebrate" 30 years at work (a lot of 30yo+ in there). We also have our 28th shamiversary in 2024.
https://wemyssmalts.com/shop/limited-editions/untold-riches-28-year-old
I registered and left it in my basket overnight and received a 10% off offer. Very good price for old Bunnahabhain.
https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/175324/bunnahabhain-28-year-old-wy

Had another last night, purely in the interests of scientific enquiry you understand. Didn’t get chocolate on the nose, but it’s there in the mouth. Hadn’t noticed it until I sniffed the glass the morning after, so I’ll do that with others too, could be instructive.
Masses of honey on the Bunna 12 and the Laphroaig QC had become more gentle wood smoke.

I suspect I've maybe 25 open bottles at the moment but would need to do a count!

Hmm - slight underestimate there. Turns out I've 37 open bottles of whisky at the moment (although that includes 3 US ones as well as a single Japanese one) and just 6 unopened bottles.

Doing a quick audit of what I had was useful as it's pointed out some gaps:
- I've no Cambeltown whiskies
- I've only 1 Lowland whisky
- I've very heavily inclined towards Islay (15 of the 43 bottles)
- The only non Scottish whiskies I have are either from the US (4) or Japan (1)

So maybe a Lowland grain whisky plus something like the Glen Scotia 15 as my next purchases?

Headed to the back of the cabinet to try one I'd not had for a while - the Auchentoshan American Oak, which also happens to be the only lowland whisky I own. It's £24.90 at Masters of Malt at the moment and I suspect I'll have paid £20 - £25 for the bottle I have (most likely I'll have bought it when on offer in Tesco).

I'm not great at finding all the tasting notes that people mention but I'm getting vanilla, citrus and sweet notes. Nothing particularly exciting about it but it's pleasant enough and an easy drinker. Another one where I wouldn't turn down a dram if offered but I wouldn't buy it again. It's fine for £20-25 though.

I found it a shade boring in fact, so decided to turn it into an old fashioned and it's much nicer like that. It might also make a nice highball option.

Last edited:
Headed to the back of the cabinet to try one I'd not had for a while - the Auchentoshan American Oak, which also happens to be the only lowland whisky I own. It's £24.90 at Masters of Malt at the moment and I suspect I'll have paid £20 - £25 for the bottle I have (most likely I'll have bought it when on offer in Tesco).

I'm not great at finding all the tasting notes that people mention but I'm getting vanilla, citrus and sweet notes. Nothing particularly exciting about it but it's pleasant enough and an easy drinker. Another one where I wouldn't turn a dram if offered but I wouldn't buy it again. It's fine for £20-25 though.

I found it a shade boring in fact, so decided to turn it into an old fashioned and it's much nicer like that. It might also make a nice highball option.

£20 is what I'll pay for that; no more

Regularly £20 on Amazon

It has been up to £30 in Waitrose! o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back