advertisement

Whisky II

Was tempted by this Glenturret 12 on a flash sale. I've promised myself I'll finish one of the many open bottles before I crack the seal...but it is looking rather alluring...and my will is weak. Anyone tried? Pricey for the age, but reviews on this and the maiden release are intriguing. At the very least the Lalique bottle will make a nice decanter.

@jimbob75 I have the 2020... it's excellent; slays the Arran Bodega and not at all disgraced by the Glendronach 18 I have. As Roy Duff said "in this case forget about the age statement and consider if it is worth the money". He also compared it to old style Macallan but can't comment on that.
I hear the 21 is very close to the 20.
I really like the bottle too.
Where'd you get it? ;)

The usual suspect, MoM, only a fiver or so off but enough to tempt*. Your comments bode well since I love the Bodega. I'm hoping for a bit of a challenge flavour wise.
* sorry, probably should have posted a link at the time

The usual suspect, MoM, only a fiver or so off but enough to tempt*. Your comments bode well since I love the Bodega. I'm hoping for a bit of a challenge flavour wise.
* sorry, probably should have posted a link at the time
Yes saw the MoM...just after I'd bought a (as yet unopened) bottle of the 21 at RRP elsewhere. :rolleyes:
Hopefully you'll get more complexity, the old school European oak sherry and a longer finish compared to the Arran...maybe "slays" was the wrong word mind!

Was tempted by this Glenturret 12 on a flash sale. I've promised myself I'll finish one of the many open bottles before I crack the seal...but it is looking rather alluring...and my will is weak. Anyone tried? Pricey for the age, but reviews on this and the maiden release are intriguing. At the very least the Lalique bottle will make a nice decanter.

I've not got the regular 12 but have got a one of the 10-year old peat smoke from them - as much for the bottle (which is very lovely) as anything else. The whisky is decent though I've not had a dram of it for a while. Might have one tonight.

Mrs Mick puts those strings of twinkly lights in (what she judges) the nicer bottles. They do brighten the table on dark evening meals.

we used to give our used gin bottles (we have about 90 bottles in the stash) to our neighbour - who did the string light thing and sold them on ebay.

Was tempted by this Glenturret 12 on a flash sale. I've promised myself I'll finish one of the many open bottles before I crack the seal...but it is looking rather alluring...and my will is weak. Anyone tried
Not that particular release, no. But I did have a Glenturret a few years back and it was a cracker. It’s exactly the sort of distillery I much prefer to explore these days. There’s some belters out there that still haven’t been discovered by the secondary market and its where the real gems are now to be found. I’m more than content now to prowl around Glenturret, Miltonduff or Blair Atholl and leave the Daftmils, Springbanks and Bimbers to the flippers.

Not that particular release, no. But I did have a Glenturret a few years back and it was a cracker. It’s exactly the sort of distillery I much prefer to explore these days. There’s some belters out there that still haven’t been discovered by the secondary market and its where the real gems are now to be found. I’m more than content now to prowl around Glenturret, Miltonduff or Blair Atholl and leave the Daftmils, Springbanks and Bimbers to the flippers.
The only qualifier I'd put to that is things like the Springbank 10, 12 CS and 15 still represent vey good value if you can get them at RRP. If...

This is very nice... My brother got the Small Batch one. Bit stronger, 49.1% rather than 46%

Both very tasty, his is a bit too sweet for my palate but still very drinkable...

I've also ordered 3 bottles from SMWS yesterday. 2 for my brother in law (his birthday treat to himself) and I've gone for this:

https://smws.com/epice-on-earth/

The only qualifier I'd put to that is things like the Springbank 10, 12 CS and 15 still represent vey good value if you can get them at RRP. If...
For sure, it’s one of my top five distilleries. I was talking more about the mad scramble to get one as soon as they’re released.

I've got a a bottle of the normal Machir Bay and also a bottle of the cask strength Machir Bay - both of which I think are decent. Not tried them back to back with the Port Charlotte yet however all are pretty good.

Kilchoman is a good tour if you get a chance - and my dog loves Machir Bay (the place, not the whisky!).
171938881.DEyedQ8l.i2_10.jpg

..and as I’ve posted before the Cullen Skink in the cafe is as good as you’ll find outside a fancy restaurant

advertisement

Back