advertisement

Whisky II

Watched it last night. Really good idea, and well presented, but I do worry that this will result in higher prices for some of the nominated bottles. I guess, though, that reviews on those channels, which I watch, do the same...

Watched it last night. Really good idea, and well presented, but I do worry that this will result in higher prices for some of the nominated bottles. I guess, though, that reviews on those channels, which I watch, do the same...
Roy and Ralfy and their team have done a great job organising it and Roy is a very good presenter.
Royal Mile Whiskies and some others are holding prices.
The online channels are pretty niche so probably just a ripple in the pool...though I have been surprised how quickly bottles sell out after positive reviews.
Higher prices are coming regardless generally mind...buy now! :D

FWIW after recommendations I went for two from MoM: a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail and a bottle of the cask version of their own (Seaweed etc.). This to celebrate a new job offer and the fact that I have a bunch of new music to listen to this coming weekend :)
They arrived on Friday. Opened the Seaweed on Saturday after a (very rare!) outing to the pub. It is magnificent. Saving the Uggy for this weekend. Trying to be good, no plonk on a school night and all that :)

Online Scotch Whisky Awards are out.
Nice little online whisky community devoid of big egos dominating content. I thought the Awards were well presented and a useful resource to those who want to delve deeper, and good to see some interaction with the distilleries. If it leads to a slight knock-on price rise or supply issues then hopefully this will be offset by distilleries giving more thought to the presentation of their whiskies which will lead to greater choice for us in the long run (he said, somewhat optimistically...)

Nice little online whisky community devoid of big egos dominating content. I thought the Awards were well presented and a useful resource to those who want to delve deeper, and good to see some interaction with the distilleries. If it leads to a slight knock-on price rise or supply issues then hopefully this will be offset by distilleries giving more thought to the presentation of their whiskies which will lead to greater choice for us in the long run (he said, somewhat optimistically...)
Just Pernod-Ricard/Midleton as a "no show"...the engagement from Ardnamurchan, Arran and Springbank was excellent...so enthusiastic and genuine...obvs it's good PR and costs them nothing but it felt honest to me.

Scratch that - the pre-order has sold out at RMW and House of Malt...not listed at Master of Malt yet but you may have to be a bit rapid if interested.
I've had some drammers rewards to use and was very tempted on this bottle but I too am away to Campbeltown in 2 weeks and have a couple of tours booked, there will be a cage bottle or two coming home with me +/- a stop at Glengoyne.

Just Pernod-Ricard/Midleton as a "no show"...the engagement from Ardnamurchan, Arran and Springbank was excellent...so enthusiastic and genuine...obvs it's good PR and costs them nothing but it felt honest to me.
This isn't 'the big awards' that have been sponsor and paid for by the large corporations, it would be well and truly off their radar.Thanks for sharing the video from the youtube, a lot of really nice whiskies on there.
I'll kick myself later for not buying a bottle...

https://www.edencroft.co.uk/products/bunnahabhain-12-year-old-cask-strength.html

https://www.robbieswhiskymerchants....ited-Release---Single-Malt-Scotch-Whisky.html

https://www.thegoodspiritsco.com/is...-year-old-cask-strength-2021-edition-551.html

Nice tour at Springbank today, and unusual in that they do everything in the premises.

172112253.70hNGONX.sb001.jpg

172112254.CNH4H3kv.sb002.jpg

172112255.WpFqN8xS.sb003.jpg

172112257.TuzTMnUx.sb005.jpg

The distillery is pretty small compared to the likes of Glenlivet although a fair bit bigger than Kilchoman, so not the smallest whisky distillery I've visited.

I treated myself to a bottle of the cask strength 12-year old as well as an 8-year old cask strength Kilkerran. We also visited Torrisdale Castle on the way back and picked up a bottle of their Kintyre Gin. Nice day out in fact, as we also visited the West Port and Machrihanish beaches (although in reality that's both ends of the same beach!) which our dog Ludo enjoyed.

Grand Tours of the Scottish Islands compilation episode with Islay and a visit to Kilchoman*:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000bkrw

*the other distillery which does it in-house, though only 20-30% is of their own malting per the link below.. (a few others malt some but not all of their barley:
https://whiskipedia.com/fundamentals/floor-maltings/
Google tells me, in addition to Springbank and Kilchoman, only Glenfiddich and Bruichladdich do their own bottling)
Kilchoman trumps Springbank by growing the barley too, admittedly all on a much smaller scale.

Today's haul: I am really looking forward to trying the Raasay - the Arran I really enjoyed before, and this particular expression is very hard to find right now. I am still working through a bottle of their excellent quarter cask.

I really, really like Arran; every single thing they are bottling is utterly superb IMO.

advertisement

Back