advertisement

Whisky II

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Personally I'd go for the Ardbeg 10YO to get started; the Laphroaig Quarter Cask is nice; but it's not all that IMO

If you wanted a duo @JTC - I'd go Ardbeg Corry or Uggy and the Port Charlotte

However; the Aeons, Seaweed, Aeons Digging & Fire is a belter and one of my current faves, as per @Weekender 's listings :D

Personally I'd go for the Ardbeg 10YO to get started; the Laphroaig Quarter Cask is nice; but it's not all that IMO

If you wanted a duo @JTC - I'd go Ardbeg Corry or Uggy and the Port Charlotte

However; the Aeons, Seaweed, Aeons Digging & Fire is a belter and one of my current faves, as per @Weekender 's listings :D
I have WAY too much whisky and yet still have not tried the Corry, the Uggy or those Aeons, or the Kilchoman, or the Edradour Ballechin bottles...madness!

Laphroig Quarter Cask was amazing, I mean really outstanding, for the first couple of years; sweet, zingy, everything a quarter cask should be. I believe Laphroig were selling it as a loss leader, often around £30. However, more recent bottlings are quite different in character, becoming darker, more biscuity without the sweetness or citrus notes. It is not bad, but it is not the same, not nearly as good as it was IMV.

That Bellechin upthread is a nice shout, one of the peated whiskies that doesn't hide character behind smoke. The Moine is overpriced IMV, so follow @mjw advice and wait.

This is well worth a look, nice peaty hit and really quite complex. A very nice Islay indeed for the money; I am told reliably is is a caol ila 11yr old:

https://www.whiskycastle.com/p-3249-mac-talla-mara-matured-in-american-oak-casks-582-70cl.aspx

Ballechin is very nice and I'm lucky that every time we're up to Dunkeld I pop up to Edradour to get a few from the shop; can't help myself... It gets drunk too quickly :D

The 10YO is very good and good value IMO; but the Oloroso one is about their best IMO

Bunna 12 cask strength released today via their website - you need to register with "The Coterie" via email address to get link. £81 inc delivery.
https://www.whiskynotes.be/2021/whi...sk-strength-balvenie-macallan-lochlea-whisky/
Dammit man, you're costing me a fortune this week!! Incidentally I've tried the Victoriana. Neck pour only, so perhaps a bit of oxidation will help, and it really needed a good half hour in the glass and some water to open up. It's not an instantly accessible dram that's for sure. I wouldn't trust myself to accurately describe the flavour notes, but it's very distinctive. Closest I'd compare it to would be a Springbank. Suspect I'm going to enjoy chasing this down the bottle.
Oh, for the Bunna, I just did a search on their website for '12 cask' and it came up.
And just re-checked........sold out! Hope you got in there quick (and thanks for the heads-up!)

Dammit man, you're costing me a fortune this week!! Incidentally I've tried the Victoriana. Neck pour only, so perhaps a bit of oxidation will help, and it really needed a good half hour in the glass and some water to open up. It's not an instantly accessible dram that's for sure. I wouldn't trust myself to accurately describe the flavour notes, but it's very distinctive. Closest I'd compare it to would be a Springbank. Suspect I'm going to enjoy chasing this down the bottle.
Oh, for the Bunna, I just did a search on their website for '12 cask' and it came up.
And just re-checked........sold out! Hope you got in there quick (and thanks for the heads-up!)
I hear the Vic is an unusual one - certainly sounds it from the cask make up we looked at earlier in the week. Looking forward to eventually opening it. If it is like Springbank it'll do me nicely.
I tried to buy three (naughty) of the Bunna CS but it would only let me have one! - surprised it has sold out already.
I am now into borrowing on the strength of my future pension lump sum! I keep showing her the "profit" on my Whiskybase collection - "yes but you won't make any profit if you don't sell any!" Don't have a riposte to that yet. :D

FWIW after recommendations I went for two from MoM: a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail and a bottle of the cask version of their own (Seaweed etc.). This to celebrate a new job offer and the fact that I have a bunch of new music to listen to this coming weekend :)
Excellent choices...let us know what you think...and congratulations on the new job!

Reactions: JTC
FWIW after recommendations I went for two from MoM: a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail and a bottle of the cask version of their own (Seaweed etc.). This to celebrate a new job offer and the fact that I have a bunch of new music to listen to this coming weekend :)

2 great bottles there; enjoy & congrats too :D

Reactions: JTC
Depends how much is left and how often the bottle is opened. A small amount saved in the bottom of that special bottle won`t be so special in a couple of years time.

How long does an opened bottle last without deteriorating?
What Barry said.
Cask strength less prone.
Peated drams can lose their smokiness also.
Inert gas wine preserver is said to help by laying a blanket over the whisky to prevent oxidation.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000DCS18/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
I tend to have fewer than 10 bottles open at any time and decant into miniatures when down to the heels if I want to keep for future reference.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
We're in a holiday cottage beside the Crinan Canal for the next week so I decided to bring some local(ish) whiskies with me - Glen Scotia 15, Oban Distillers Edition and Lagavulin 16. I might see if I can fit in a distillery tour in Campbeltown this week, as they were still closed for Covid last time we were in the area.

Having a dram of the Glen Scotia 15 now - lovely.

We're in a holiday cottage beside the Crinan Canal for the next week so I decided to bring some local(ish) whiskies with me - Glen Scotia 15, Oban Distillers Edition and Lagavulin 16. I might see if I can fit in a distillery tour in Campbeltown this week, as they were still closed for Covid last time we were in the area.

Having a dram of the Glen Scotia 15 now - lovely.
Nice.
You should go to the Springbank and Cadenhead's shops - they may actually have some Springbank whisky to buy!

https://www.facebook.com/officialsp...-distillery-shop-is-home-to/1980700361972457/
https://www.cadenhead.scot/

advertisement

Back