advertisement

Whisky II

I need to get another bottle of the Raasay as I got one of the first ones released but have decided to keep it, so haven't tried it yet.

I opened the Springbank 12 last night (and very tasty it is too) but if I'd known the situation with obtaining bottles of it then I'd sent my wife in to get a 2nd bottle as they were restricting them to one per customer. Looks like they're already selling at double the standard price on whisky auction sites.

I opened the Springbank 12 last night (and very tasty it is too) but if I'd known the situation with obtaining bottles of it then I'd sent my wife in to get a 2nd bottle as they were restricting them to one per customer. Looks like they're already selling at double the standard price on whisky auction sites.
If you like Springbank (and Hazelburn, Kilkerran, Longrow) and see it at or near RRP buy it on sight...they release the core range twice a year. The special releases (e.g. Springbank 10 cask strength*) sell out in minutes online...core range stick around for a bit longer.

*I managed to snag one bottle eventually from an obscure trader after missing out on Royal Mile and Master of Malt where they were gone in under 10 minutes. The latter particularly frustrating as Paypal asked for a security text and by the time it arrived the bottle was gone!

Last edited:
I need to get another bottle of the Raasay as I got one of the first ones released but have decided to keep it, so haven't tried it yet.

Some sites allow 3rd party sellers to sell it for x10 the price and do nothing about it (arseholes); but what can you do...

Springbank is superb; I've been trying to find a bottle of 15YO for months, failed at every move :(

Some sites allow 3rd party sellers to sell it for x10 the price and do nothing about it (arseholes); but what can you do...

Springbank is superb; I've been trying to find a bottle of 15YO for months, failed at every move :(
I can’t bring myself to open either my 12 or 15 Springbank as I know replacing them will be really tough. Likewise I want a Hazelburn but I’ve not seen it for ages. This whisky lark can be frustrating at times!

I can’t bring myself to open either my 12 or 15 Springbank as I know replacing them will be really tough. Likewise I want a Hazelburn but I’ve not seen it for ages. This whisky lark can be frustrating at times!
Hazelburn is a much smaller volume but could be in the next core release.
Haven't found that myself TBH; but I do still look, nearly daily at times..
I was still seeing the 18s a few days after release day (on the less obvious sites granted), and the Kilkerran 16 too, but the 15 went in hours...I think the numbers were really low this time.

Last edited:
Haven't found that myself TBH; but I do still look, nearly daily at times... But its SSDD generally o_O
I’ve had the Springbank 10, and scored a 15 locally this year. They are great, very distinctive, and I’d happily replace, but I won’t be going out of my way to wrestle with the fan boys in the future. If you haven’t tried the 15 I’m sure I could send you a dram - I have an empty 3cl Glen Allachie glass sample I could fill. If compelled you could always rinse, refill and return.

I’ve had the Springbank 10, and scored a 15 locally this year. They are great, very distinctive, and I’d happily replace, but I won’t be going out of my way to wrestle with the fan boys in the future. If you haven’t tried the 15 I’m sure I could send you a dram - I have an empty 3cl Glen Allachie glass sample I could fill. If compelled you could always rinse, refill and return.

I am fortunate to have tried it and found it to be very good and suited my palette very well indeed; but agree that it's 'not all that' and the prices have gone stupid recently...

I'm happy to wait and see if it comes available again; but I've enough in my current arsenal to keep me occupied inc x3 SWMS bottles I got for my birthday back in August that are still unopened...!

Waitrose are doing the Penderyn Madeira finish for £26.50 - better bet than my local Tesco where they no longer have Malt, only empty cardboard boxes and tubes.

advertisement

Back