advertisement

Where's the Glasto thread?! Oh, here it is..

There's too much of this "I don't like it therefore it's cr*p" stuff here. But then, we don't like anyone who's popular, do we?

His target audience is teenage girls, those interviewed prior to him taking the stage pretty much summed matters up.

I have np problem with this, I do have a problem with someone of this ilk headlining Glastonbury.

I was half expecting One direction to make an appearance, it felt like a kids concert.

Can you explain what is so special and sacred about Glastonbury, that the organisers cant put on ES to headline their festival. He wouldn't be my choice, and then again I know where the red button is - I haven't seen a minute of ES, his music doesn't do it for me, but there is plenty else to see and hear.

If it were my choice, I'd have Stormzy or Kano or even Skepta headline the main stage.......

I have been two times over the last 30 years and avidly watch on the TV, and I see it as nothing more than a large multi-genre music festival. It is special in my book as it so multi-genre - which is why the likes of ES should have chance to headline the main stage, regardless of whether I like his music or not.

Yes Glasto comes with history and longevity, but that doesn't mean anything.

So, the opinions of a few old farts on an obscure hi-fi forum (apologies Tony, but you know what I mean) count for anything in judging music quality? My dad thought the Stones & Beatles were cr*p...

Popular or not, it needs to be great.

I wouldn't personally have pop pap as the headline, others may want to, which is fine, just not for me.

I'm all for kids making it big in the pop world, but it needs to have a foundation in excellent music.

Popular or not, it needs to be great.

I wouldn't personally have pop pap as the headline, others may want to, which is fine, just not for me.

I'm all for kids making it big in the pop world, but it needs to have a foundation in excellent music.

But 'great' is subjective.

That's the whole point!

I have no preconceived idea about who makes a worthy headliner or not. I know who I would like to see.

But the reality is, I don't care one way or the other, about who they are, what their genre of music is, how they make music or how they learnt music.......

I look at the lineup and decide who I want to see, and what piques my interest

So to be good for you there can only be some-one you like as main act, and that you consider their music excellent!

In the improbable event I went to Glastonbury, (came close in 1973/4, too much drink, pub shutting at 10.30, what do we do now, etc) the main stage would be unlikely to hold my attention in any case, there is more than one event going on at any one time.

Bloss

So to be good for you there can only be some-one you like as main act, and that you consider their music excellent!

I feel this type of music, like it or not, is for a certain demographic, mainly aimed at school girls, it's all a bit fluffy & light, lacks substance.

I could have forgiven a great performance but it was all a bit dull & limp.

Having watched a bunch of stuff on i player over the past few days it's it all feels a bit 1977 to me - there's a real change of the guard happening. For me the grime stuff - Skepta, Stomzy, - the rap - Run The Jewels, Kano, Anderson.Paak - pissed all over the tired rock acts who nearly all seemed like what we called dinosaurs back in the day. Only Radiohead and Warpaint, influenced by the electronic stuff anyway - were keeping up with the programme. Boy Better Know were electrifying. Lorde's set was pretty special.

I'm way too old to really be part of it but, from the outside, it Boy Better Know and Stomzy made me want to be 20 again and in the middle of the crowd. Chic held up the end for the old guys.

Do you remember a few years ago the one of the Gallaghers said rap had no place at Glastonbury?

Good to hear, I'll check all of those out (I already like Anderson .Paak). Good folk/rock/rap etc needs something to rail against, and clearly there is no shortage of stuff currently so I'd expect here to be great stuff out there. As stated upthread I was most impressed with Kate Tempest for just those reasons.

Absolutely - the pendulum swinging back has kicked some energy into the system.

The DJ Shadow set is well worth a look as well - one thing that struck me is how amazing the tech behind some of the performers was - the sets for some of the bands ( esp the electronic / grime stuff ) looked stunning, from the sofa at least.

Having watched a bunch of stuff on i player over the past few days it's it all feels a bit 1977 to me - there's a real change of the guard happening. For me the grime stuff - Skepta, Stomzy, - the rap - Run The Jewels, Kano, Anderson.Paak - pissed all over the tired rock acts who nearly all seemed like what we called dinosaurs back in the day. Only Radiohead and Warpaint, influenced by the electronic stuff anyway - were keeping up with the programme. Boy Better Know were electrifying. Lorde's set was pretty special.

I'm way too old to really be part of it but, from the outside, it Boy Better Know and Stomzy made me want to be 20 again and in the middle of the crowd. Chic held up the end for the old guys.

Do you remember a few years ago the one of the Gallaghers said rap had no place at Glastonbury?

oh yes, at last someone who I can see eye to eye with.....i'm 52 in a few months and off to see Skepta headline Wireless at Finsbury Park. Was at Brighton Wildlife a few weeks ago to see Stormzy support Dizzee Rascal

Just watching the Anderson .Paak set now, I'm a few songs in so he's got on the drum kit. A staggeringly good drummer, just astonishing, and that he can do it all whilst rapping/goofing about just defies belief. I don't think I've ever seen a better drummer! The rest of the band are amazing too. He is just killing his album (I've got the vinyl) live it is in a different league. Really amazing stuff. I must try and get to see this band...

Thank god for the fast forward button;)
Anyone know what's the point of having two drummers ie Radiohead aren't they playing the same beat, bit like having two bass players.

...... one thing that struck me is how amazing the tech behind some of the performers was - the sets for some of the bands ( esp the electronic / grime stuff ) looked stunning, from the sofa at least.

If you want to make your eyes bleed, check out the 70 minute set by Justice. Think Daft Punk without the helmets - two young French pups turning knobs and pressing the odd button. Stunning noise, but the light show and visuals is like nothing I've ever seen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ec584f/play/adbz3d/p055w7r9

advertisement

Back