advertisement

Where's the Glasto thread?! Oh, here it is..

Not yet, still got a ton left to watch. Will dig it out of iPlayer later. I'm actually really enjoying watching stuff I know nothing about, even if I don't get to the end. Lots of stuff I know I like left to watch (Thundercat, British Sea Power etc). Tried a bit of Justice earlier, but didn't do a lot for me - would have been great in the crowd, but sounded very '1998' to me here.

Saw Nile Rogers, Chic and also Barry Gibb which were outstanding. Not too interested in many of the others.

Nile is the coolest and grooviest 64-year old on the planet!

Barry's voice may be a bit frailer, but he still has enough of it to deliver the goods. Hard to believe that the "One Night Only" Bee Gees DVD was filmed TWENTY years ago. I think that was the very first DVD I ever bought and it had so many plays I had to replace it with a new one a few years later! Happy memories :) ....

How did you come to this conclusion?

Before his latest album was released he'd sold 5 million albums. Albums. Quite a few more singles.

In the week his third album was released 16 of the top 20 single downloads were his tracks (inc some from the previous albums).

I think my assertion is reasonable.

Can't help feeling that if this lot had played. There'd be a riot going on...

Too safe Glastonbury...

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of short clips of Flaming Lips doing Space Oddity, which was good fun, and Anderson .Paak who was superb, another one like Thundercat who just slays their albums live, just so much better.

I've got Thunder Cat's album but thought he was poor live...

Before his latest album was released he'd sold 5 million albums. Albums. Quite a few more singles.

In the week his third album was released 16 of the top 20 single downloads were his tracks (inc some from the previous albums).

I think my assertion is reasonable.
How is this relevant to his performance at Glastonbury,
I said I doubt many would admit to this being a great performance, you then replied, a few million may disagree.
U2 have outsold this guy a thousand times over, doesn't make them great to many here, Coldplay are another, most here hate the band, I could go on, but you get the point.
His record sales have no bearing on a single performance at Glastonbury.

To be honest i'm more interested in catching up with what I have missed than go on about overrated talent so I will leave it at that.

I've got Thunder Cat's album but thought he was poor live...

I've got all three of Thundercat's albums and just wish they had more of the free live bass/real drummer interplay he gets live. Far to much drum programming on the albums IMO, his live drummer is amazing and should be utilised far more. I actually wish he'd do a proper jazz-fusion album!

To be honest i'm more interested in catching up with what I have missed than go on about overrated talent so I will leave it at that.
Aren't you normally honest then? Anyway, you forgot to add "In my opinion".

I have missed lots of this, looking forward to it
I would imagine those who have met me from here think me an honest guy Tony.
Forums are all about opinions, so I have stopped adding IMO, seems a little obvious.

Lot's from the smaller stages I have yet to watch, caught a couple but lots to get through.

I've got all three of Thundercat's albums and just wish they had more of the free live bass/real drummer interplay he gets live. Far to much drum programming on the albums IMO, his live drummer is amazing and should be utilised far more. I actually wish he'd do a proper jazz-fusion album!

I'm a bit late to the TC party having only got his last album & prefer his more funky & soul studio based stuff.

The free live bass/real drummer stuff went over my head during his set & seemed to lose the audience too.

Been catching up with the Glasto sets this week. Radiohead didn't disappoint, Stormzy had real energy, Sampha was good, Rag n Bone man was humbled just to be there. Hot Chip founder Joe Goddard took a while to get going (singer was well off, so didn't help) but really got going when she went. Barry Gibb was awful, Nile Rogers looked pleased just to be there after his cancer scare but always produces. Liked his address to the crowd re Grenfell & pitching in too. Goldfrapp can't do any wrong. There's a few more i've heard too but that'll do for now!

How is this relevant to his performance at Glastonbury,
I said I doubt many would admit to this being a great performance, you then replied, a few million may disagree.
U2 have outsold this guy a thousand times over, doesn't make them great to many here, Coldplay are another, most here hate the band, I could go on, but you get the point.
His record sales have no bearing on a single performance at Glastonbury.

I'm not a massive fan of Ed Sheeran, but respect his talent as a solo artist performing pop in this time. I thought he did a great performance of what he does at Glastonbury. It's not hard to imagine his proper fans, who buy his albums by the million, and I expect download or stream his tracks in vastly greater numbers would have thought the same. Hence my comment.

You seem to think that the numbers that dislike him are in some way relevant, but that has no basis in logic whatsoever.

I have missed lots of this, looking forward to it
I would imagine those who have met me from here think me an honest guy Tony.
Forums are all about opinions, so I have stopped adding IMO, seems a little obvious.

Lot's from the smaller stages I have yet to watch, caught a couple but lots to get through.

I believe your are an honest and decent chap, I just disagree with you a lot it seems.

Enjoy what you enjoy - Glastonbury was awash with enough variety of great performances for us all to find plenty.

:)

You seem to think that the numbers that dislike him are in some way relevant, but that has no basis in logic whatsoever.
Have no idea what this means, numbers that dislike him, I have only stated I don't as far as I can see from my posts, anyway......

It's been a very good Glastonbury I feel, standouts for me....London Grammar were superb, haunting, beautiful & melodic, real class.

Laura Marling was wonderful as were Bako.

On a pure dance around the room fun vibe, the winner has to go to the golden oldie Barrie Gibb, That guitar riff on tragedy still gets me all goosy :) the sun was shining, the crowd were dancing & that golden jacket topped things off nicely.

But my standout thus far & came as quite a surprise, as rap is not my thang, goes to Kano, he has taken this genre to a new level, musicianship was wonderful, his timing is as good as it gets, the performance was exhilarating.

There is still plenty for me to get through but enjoyed all of these.

Have no idea what this means, numbers that dislike him, I have only stated I don't as far as I can see from my posts, anyway......

Your words:

"U2 have outsold this guy a thousand times over, doesn't make them great to many here, Coldplay are another, most here hate the band, I could go on, but you get the point."

Anyway, enjoy the festival sets that do it for you. Agree on the Laura Marling, and the Radiohead set was superb. Love The National, and loved their set too - even if it wasn't the strongest vocal performance.

Loads of great performances by relatively unknown bands in the smaller tents, and in particular look out for Wild Front who were in the BBC Introducing tent.

advertisement

Back