Votes: 14 16.9%
  • £5000-£20,000

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • £20,000-£50,000

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • over £50,0000

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters
One thing that is nice is you can search on certain specific label ranges on Discogs e.g. Blue Note Tone Poet etc. That makes adding those as easy as say adding Alto Analogue so no need to scroll through a list of 50+ years of reissues from all across the world. The thing I’m trying to reduce is wading through hundreds of versions for really popular titles. The Bowie was really hard work, but that is as popular as my collection gets. Some stuff is just bizarre though, e.g. there are eleven different versions of the 10” single of Messages by OMD! Why?!

I've only catalogued 100 albums, including several that I guesed correctly would be valuable up to £4000 median value, so £40 each, most valuable at > £300.

Not sure that I want to do the whole lot (my collection isn't huge by PFM standards but is around 1000 LP's and 700 CDs.)

Looks like you can allocate folders for categories or whatever you like. I’ve not done this, so everything is mixed in ‘uncategorised’ at present. I’ve no idea if you can batch move by format or whatever. I could really do with learning how it works!

You click on 'Manage Folders' at the top of the Collection page where you create your folders. There is only one level of depth so no subdivision of LP into categories but you can create custom fields like the default 'condition' fields.

Then, once you have an item in your collection you select the check box to the left of the item(s). You can select the folder you want it/them to live in from the drop down menu at the top right and hit the move selected button.

The other feature that I expect you will appreciate is the export collection function, which will create an Excel file for you to do want you like with. This is where custom field could be used in your organisation. I think it might be wise to explore this early on to see what you might want.

I'm discovering stuff I had forgotten about, or didn't realise I had (some coloured vinyl that I hadn't realised was special edition), simply by starting at A and working alphabetically.

Median almost £20k, and I'm nowhere near one quarter done.

As I have mentioned before, irrespective of value, you need to take notice of how many folks are interested or want the record or c.d. in question.

A record valued at £50 that only 4 people are interested in might sit there for decades unsold.

This is very true. I have a CD on Discogs that is Have: 4 Want: 462. Bet that would generate some interest! It's an unofficial Beatles CD though so is 'blocked from sale in the marketplace' and there is no history record.

My collection is currently
Min £6k
Med £12k
Max £26k
from the 1939 items I have on there. Quite the range but most of it is at least VG+/VG+.

There are pages and pages of never sold versions though which also skews it. I suspect many people don't delve down into the minutae of IFPI numbers and matrix codes etc and just put the most common entry that has the same cover/label style as theirs.

Got my first Discogswhack (yes, I’m claiming there is such a thing!). A test pressing for Pink Industry’s New Beginning. Only one other person has it!

Got my first Discogswhack (yes, I’m claiming there is such a thing!). A test pressing for Pink Industry’s New Beginning. Only one other person has it!

Just curious. Are you planning to sell through Discogs?

This is very true. I have a CD on Discogs that is Have: 4 Want: 462. Bet that would generate some interest! It's an unofficial Beatles CD though so is 'blocked from sale in the marketplace' and there is no history record.

My collection is currently
Min £6k
Med £12k
Max £26k
from the 1939 items I have on there. Quite the range but most of it is at least VG+/VG+.

There are pages and pages of never sold versions though which also skews it. I suspect many people don't delve down into the minutae of IFPI numbers and matrix codes etc and just put the most common entry that has the same cover/label style as theirs.

I get annoyed if the version purchased is not the version delivered. There can often be a large price variation twixt different issues of the same album.
If something is expensive, then I ask the Seller to check the version they are selling to make sure they have listed it correctly. This frequently reveals that it isn’t the correct version, and an apology. Nothing wrong with checking an item. I frequently do not acknowledge an invoice until I have checked the item is correct. It is easy to make mistakes when there are many versions of an item. Buyers also appreciate the extra care taken.

Just curious. Are you planning to sell through Discogs?

No, I’m just doing to track my own personal collection and maybe consider insurance etc. I’m not entering the shop stock (which is in an entirely different part of the house).

PS Discogswhack #2 Redo Zebri ‘Stories From The Glasshouse’, and no one wants it either!

No, I’m just doing to track my own personal collection and maybe consider insurance etc.

Do people insure their record collection as an individual item or items? Or is it generally included in household contents? Is it a separate payment, or a policy just for CD/vinyl collection? (a bit like musical instruments).

I’m asking as my insurance policies are to be renewed soon and my music collection isn’t mentioned.

Do people insure their record collection as an individual item or items? Or is it generally included in household contents? Is it a separate payment, or a policy just for CD/vinyl collection? (a bit like musical instruments).

I’m asking as my insurance policies are to be renewed soon and my music collection isn’t mentioned.

As part of the household contents insurance I have mine insured as a 'named item' but simultaneously as a 'record collection' so not actually listed all the Lps and Cds (that would be nuts) individual hifi items over £1k are also 'named items' but actually the manufacturer, model and serial no. are recorded. I also had to give a replacement cost value as it's a new for old policy.

Thanks Darren. It’s something I’m going to have to think about and talk to my insurers. I wonder who are the best company to deal with for hifi and music collection insurance. Maybe we need a separate thread if one doesn’t exist.

Do people insure their record collection as an individual item or items?

I’d be interested to investigate this. I’d prefer it to be an asset value, e.g. the equivalent of a valuable painting being written off. A good record collection is a lifetime’s work, it is not replaceable in any real sense as it would be a full time job for so many years hunting and grading. I’d just like some compensation for the loss of ability to supplement my pension later in life by shifting a few high-value items out now and again. I’d just look at it as the loss of an asset, I’d just switch over to streaming for music provision. If the house fails for whatever reason I’m done with vinyl!

I’d just look at it as the loss of an asset, I’d just switch over to streaming for music provision. If the house fails for whatever reason I’m done with vinyl!

Feel the same here, and I would definitely want compensation for my music collection loss even if I had no intention of replacing it.

Thanks Darren. It’s something I’m going to have to think about and talk to my insurers. I wonder who are the best company to deal with for hifi and music collection insurance. Maybe we need a separate thread if one doesn’t exist.

I don't know, my wife takes care of all that stuff, I just told the insurance company employee on the phone what I had and the value, I then sent pics in an email for an agreed value, I'm not sure what way it would work to insure a record collection as an asset but I'm sure like anything else it's probably possible if you're prepared to pay the premium.

I use John Lewis Gold level house insurance. It costs about £10 to £15 a month more than I could get it for but they insist they replace anything up to unlimited value no questions asked without anything being listed. Hifi certainly and I assume at least the median discogs value if you submitted that for a lost collection. Although you know what they say assume does....

I use John Lewis Gold level house insurance. It costs about £10 to £15 a month more than I could get it for but they insist they replace anything up to unlimited value no questions asked without anything being listed. Hifi certainly and I assume at least the median discogs value if you submitted that for a lost collection. Although you know what they say assume does....

I just renewed by John Lewis insurance and asked about my record and CD collection. I was told they don’t need to be itemised but that having a list of what I had would prove useful in the unlucky event that I need to claim. I have everything listed on the Discogs app. Hopefully I’ll never find out if what I was told is true or not.

JLP insurance popular (here to, my wife used to work for them). Did exactly that although it took an eternity to list it all on discogs. Glad I did though just for the peace of mind. 2,357 items (CD & Vinyl) £12.3K/£25.3K/£52.9K. Insurance aside my primary reason was that my sons would have some idea of their value and wouldn't just cart them off to a charity shop (in the unfortunate event!).

I do like the new filter feature on Discogs, it's a big improvement on the find your version feature that we had before.

I have all of my collection on an Access database; I wonder if it's possible to somehow import that directly to Discogs?

advertisement

Back