Votes: 14 16.9%
  • £5000-£20,000

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • £20,000-£50,000

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • over £50,0000

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters
Finally done! Everything that is mine (i.e. not the shop’s) is now catalogued, at least until the doorbell next rings...

Items 3459. Min £27,986.78. Med £51,295.56. Max £97,353.41.

I’m not bothering with the fifty or so 78s (nothing of value), nor the bulk of the 7” singles which are just inaccessible without major faffing about pulling the TV out. I’ve likely got the majority of any value in that 7” flight-case done from memory now to be honest. I’d be surprised if I was missing much.

My average works out at £24.88 using the max value, £15.58 using the median.

I bought a lot of records when I lived in Tokyo a decade ago so I suspect those are probably pushing the average up a bit.
Is this the difference between people who have kept everything they’ve ever bought and people who have regular clear outs? I’ve never bought anything as an investment. Just things that I like or interest me. I have tons of stuff I intend to keep but have max values of a pound or two.

I have tons of stuff I intend to keep but have max values of a pound or two.

Me too! I have semi-regular clearouts not so much through choice but because I only have so much space in a modest sized flat.

I suspect non-mainstream tastes help - there are death metal and electronica records that I paid a couple of quid for decades ago that have since shot up in value. But then there seem to be plenty of members listing Pink Floyds CDs etc that are worth £££s so who knows.

Is this the difference between people who have kept everything they’ve ever bought and people who have regular clear outs? I’ve never bought anything as an investment. Just things that I like or interest me. I have tons of stuff I intend to keep but have max values of a pound or two.

Likewise. Vast swathes of rock/indie CDs under £3 or so according to the Discogs median, all stuff I love.

I do curate pretty hard though, and have always viewed my collection as being very fluid. No third albums from bands who only made two good ones, no albums where I’d heard one song I thought I liked and then realised it and the rest bored me, no compilations or samplers where I’ve since bought anything that interests me etc etc. Also nothing in naff condition. If it doesn’t look and sound great it doesn’t get through the door. If I want it I’ll find a much better copy. If I didn’t curate things in this way I’d need a bloody massive house just to store everything! I hate to think how much I’ve bought and sold. As things stand (shop aside) is it is actually quite a manageable collection. I’m not actually missing much either, I can only think of three items that I have owned in the past and still want to replace as for some inexplicable reason they’ve vanished (Factory copy of OMD’s Electricity, LSG’s Black Album CD and some SPK album I forget the title of that probably wasn’t that good anyway!). I’m sure there is other stuff that I’ve owned and would like again, but nothing that immediately springs to mind.

The house is rammed full of records and CDs, but a huge amount of that is not my own collection and would be rapidly offloaded once I’m done selling as a business (there’s a huge amount of classical just boxed up etc, plus I always try to run a good couple of months ahead of my weekly listings). The business is well in profit so all this stuff is long ago paid for. I’d just end up donating it to charity once I’m done. It exists entirely separately from my own collection.

Me too! I have semi-regular clearouts not so much through choice but because I only have so much space in a modest sized flat.

I suspect non-mainstream tastes help - there are death metal and electronica records that I paid a couple of quid for decades ago that have since shot up in value. But then there seem to be plenty of members listing Pink Floyds CDs etc that are worth £££s so who knows.

Yep, non-mainstream. I’ve done a bit over half of mine (a tiny amount compared to many here - I’ve done 74 apparently) and I get an average of just over £60 at the max value, £35 using the median. It’s mostly the extreme metal pushing it up.

I’d never sell a single one, but it’s interesting to find out what’s apparently surprisingly valuable.

Since typing everything in I’m finding the price fluctuations rather fascinating! I don’t quite understand what is going on as the ‘max value’ has dropped quite a bit over the past couple of weeks. At one point it was up at £101,600, today it is £99,874.

I don’t understand the mechanism here. I’d have thought a high sale for a specific issue, no matter how absurd, remained as a bar unless it was beaten, i.e. that figure could only logically go up. The ‘median value’ can obviously fluctuate in either direction as I assume it is an average of all sales, and it appears to do just that. So, what is happening with the ‘max value’ math? Is there a pre-set time-frame after which data is removed, or is it maybe a byproduct of so many specific releases being merged or split into different ones? I guess it is probably the latter, I certainly get a surprising amount of the ‘Recent changes affecting releases in your collection’ messages, usually several a day.

Since typing everything in I’m finding the price fluctuations rather fascinating! I don’t quite understand what is going on as the ‘max value’ has dropped quite a bit over the past couple of weeks. At one point it was up at £101,600, today it is £99,874.

I don’t understand the mechanism here. ...

Maybe a question for the forum over there?

USD/GBP currency fluctuations?

Vinyl - A-M of mainstream LPs done, most/all speciality pressings and box sets done, and half of the classicals.
CD - Special editions, card sleeves and digipaks done, one box of regular jewel-cased CDs done, and ...

I've declared a pause.

1,747 items, Median £23.6k Max £44.2k

Average £13.50 to £25.30. They've all been looked after, so hopefully lie in the above-median band.

Still got N-Z vinyl, 12" singles, 7" singles and Miscellaneous vinyl, thirteen or fourteen more boxes of CDs to do. Well....

Yes currency fluctuations, however also the Low, Median and High values quoted are on a rolling basis of (I think) the 14 most recent sales. So your collection figures are more of a current value snapshot than an all time value.
Is that right? I didn’t know. Interesting stuff.

Yes currency fluctuations, however also the Low, Median and High values quoted are on a rolling basis of (I think) the 14 most recent sales. So your collection figures are more of a current value snapshot than an all time value.

Ah, that is very interesting and would fully explain it.

There are certainly some crazy outlying prices on there. I’m also curious as to whether people shill now and again, e.g. say you have a box of 10 or so of some fairly scarce but desirable title, list one at £LOLprice, ‘buy’ it with another account, which will hype the median, then sell the box of ten at an inflated price? Some of the ‘max’ values do seem astonishing. Just no connection to any logic IMO.

I look at the top 30 monthly sales now and again and some are just extraordinary, e.g. this month someone apparently paid $1500 for a US 1st press of Nirvana’s Nevermind. This was a mainstream album on Geffin, there’s a lot of them out there! I’d understand it if it was signed, but it just looked like a normal copy. The median of that one is totally hyped too IMO. An original white vinyl copy of Bleach, yes, that’s seriously rare, but a first press of Nevermind? $1500?

this month someone apparently paid $1500 for a US 1st press of Nirvana’s Nevermind. This was a mainstream album on Geffin, there’s a lot of them out there! I’d understand it if it was signed, but it just looked like a normal copy.

Interesting isn't it. It looks like minters were £3-400 until a shop in Australia managed to get AUD 3000 (£1600) for a sealed copy and prices shot up for a bit. Last NM copy sold for £400 so who knows.

Always worth looking at how many of a particular title is for sale at any time. The higher value items will normally take longer to shift so can lead to fluctuations & false valuations.

Always worth looking at how many of a particular title is for sale at any time. The higher value items will normally take longer to shift so can lead to fluctuations & false valuations.

Values are based on sold prices though, not Min, Median and Max asking price.

Values are based on sold prices though, not Min, Median and Max asking price.
Yes, I see what you mean but the amount of copies for sale gives you an idea of rarity & whether values are on the rise. For example, an album could have sold last at £300 but there are several copies for sale at this figure which are sticking around, therefore, the future real value is probably less.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom