Votes: 14 16.9%
  • £5000-£20,000

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • £20,000-£50,000

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • over £50,0000

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters
I voted band 2 as few of my records are that rare/sought-after. Plenty of first pressings (Bowie, Roxy Music) but all in a good deal less than mint condition. I only scrape into band 2 because I have some rare-ish classical LPs that I bought new and which haven't been played much.

I have regularly purchased off discogs but never thought I’d be an anorak and start cataloguing my collection until lockdown boredom got the better of me.
I started off piecemeal, plucking out titles I thought were of value and have about 1800 titles logged - I have a lifetime collection so this is not even half of it. I didn’t think that CD was the future and sell of all my vinyl.
To be honest, a 3 hour stint logging just 6 Floyd records with the aid of a decent desk lamp and a magnifying glass made me re-assess the validity of what the hell I was doing and I have left it alone for a bit.
While the total values are pleasing I do wonder if sometime in the future they my become unwanted bits of plastic.

While the total values are pleasing I do wonder if sometime in the future they my become unwanted bits of plastic.

Always best thinking of things like this as an overall investment rather than focusing on individual items too much. I have a very good record collection. Not huge, but very well curated with no crap in it. Nothing less than EX/EX condition, and assembled from a lifetime of record dealing, swapping stuff in and out etc. It is very much a record dealer’s collection. The majority was bought decades ago when prices were very low compared to now and they will offset the very few titles I may have paid over the odds for. To be honest my biggest gambles are almost certainly recent Bandcamp stuff from independent jazz artists, electronica etc. Stuff in limited editions of 250-500 or so often signed by the artists and often quite expensive. I’m sure some will do very well indeed, but similarly some will fade into obscurity.

I’ve seen enough of the market over the past 40 years to know audiophile pressings of jazz and high-profile rock titles hold their value exceptionally well. Surprisingly so IMO, e.g. I bet I could easily get >£100 a throw for my late-90s DCC Doors vinyl, Pet Sounds, Made In Japan even though there have been other issues allegedly at least as good since. My Nimbus Supercut of Floyd’s Wish You Were Here may even be my most valuable record. This stuff just seems to hold value whereas a lot of other stuff is transient and shifts with trends. I am certain I could come out hugely ahead overall though as there are just so many titles I’ve paid £5-10 or so that will never be worth less than ten times that. I view it as something to enjoy now, but very easy to drip out a couple at a time as a pension supplement later in life.

No idea, my insurance policy is new for old and my record collection is a 'named valuable' as a collection, about 2,000 titles approx with an average price of £25? for a new copy in a record shop, that's about £50K, I know there's some that are not available and I'm sure there's some are worth less and some more, I just hope I never need it.

I normally work to an average of £15 a record and £4.50 per cd. That's a little more conservative than the discogs median, which isn't a very responsive indicator when prices drop at the higher end. A lot on discogs is of exaggerated quality too. I've a theory that a lot of folks selling off collections have distictly dodgy eyesight and an 'over-attachment' to their cherished records :)

My Nimbus Supercut of Floyd’s Wish You Were Here may even be my most valuable record.

Wish I had the time (and probably nous) to spend a few years cataloguing my relatively small (but incl. Nimbus s/cuts) collection. Rather think I'd pass away trying, which would utterly defeat the purpose as my heirs wouldn't have a clue. Really must deplete my plastic hoard to leave a most-played core.

I did mine during lockdown out of boredom. Rather surprised how it added up but I have been very lucky in that my peak buying years were between 93 - 2005. It’s a nice legacy for kids if nothing else.

I’ve never been a true collector though, don’t seek out mint original early presses etc. I often find records classes as mint, never are, especially old ones. I am always more concerned over the media condition rather than the cover.

I’ve always just bought the music I liked in the most economic format, 20 years ago that was probably still vinyl.

Really must deplete my plastic hoard to leave a most-played core.

That is something I do on a continual basis. My own collection needs to be superb pressings of stuff I really care about, otherwise there is no point. I’m often surprised by how much crap lurks in the typical collection, stuff I’d neither want to own nor be prepared to sell. There is still some pruning that could be done without pain in my collection, but it would all be good easily sellable stuff.

The CD collection is a little more chaotic as I was shovelling stuff in when the price was at its very bottom. I suspect that tide is turning now with so many titles not having a physical copy and many previously available boxes and original masterings no longer available. It is a gamble, but I suspect that market will move in my direction over future years just as vinyl did. As ever history will sort the wheat from the chaff. Good rare pressings of anything desirable in mint condition will only go up with time, and as with vinyl I’ve got some very good CDs that are already very collectable.

I didn’t, and still can’t as it is paywalled. Good to see they are predicting an upturn (at least I assume that is the gist).

PS The risk with CD to my mind is the long-term availability of players. Being digital/computer technology it is far harder for a niche market to be sustained by small-scale boutique manufacturers the way vinyl is. I imagine things will get hard if a supply of good transports dry up. This is certainly an issue with cassette right now as while you can buy new cassette players they are all without exception bottom of the barrel shite and seem to be based around one or two low-end Chinese mono transports. If you want a good deck with manual level controls, tape selection, bias, EQ, noise reduction and rock solid pitch stability you have no alternative but to restore a high-end vintage deck. I’ve no idea if CD/SACD will share that fate.

I didn’t, and still can’t as it is paywalled.

No familiar with this terminology, Tony, but that cookie panel came up with 'accept' and 'reject' buttons. I simply rejected and was able to read. More a resume of the rise, fall and rise again of CDs. I detest these cookie pop-ups, most of which don't offer a time--consuming 'reject' option. Regulation enabling consumers 'choice' in cookies has, in my opinion, backfired and id now a p.i.t.a., esp. when retail sites employ it (e.g. Argos etc.)

Most of my collection came from my FIL. Over 50 years of collecting. There must be some rarities in there and most are mint or even unplayed.No idea of their worth.

The majority of my most valuable recordings in my collection are in CD form.

Go and look at the price of any of the "35DP" of "VDP" series of CDs to see stoopid money...

£2k for this one. :eek:o_O

https://www.discogs.com/release/8684443-Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here-炎-あなたがここにいてほしい

Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here = 炎 (あなたがここにいてほしい)
Label: CBS/Sony – 35DP 4
Format:
CD, Album, Gold Tinted Top
Released: Oct 1, 1982
Genre: Rock
Style: Prog Rock

I don't think there's a vinyl release that comes close in terms of value.

I started listing my collection on Discogs several years ago following a tip from a friend when I remarked I had bought several duplicate copies of albums I already owned in error. He has a collection of 17,000+ cd's and finds Discogs a useful tool to check on his phone if he thinks he may already own a potential purchase. Finished listing over lockdown and was gobsmacked like many others of the value of my much more modest collection.

The number of LPs would be interesting

I would like to know how many 7” singles I have as well as albums, but they are all over the house and it looks like a pain trying to find out.
And now I remember there are records in the attic that I haven’t seen for years. L.P’s, 12” and 7” Singles.

I am not that bothered.

advertisement

Back