Votes: 14 16.9%
  • £5000-£20,000

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • £20,000-£50,000

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • over £50,0000

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters
Before discogs I also used MS Access. However once I'd discovered discogs I was surprised at just how many records I'd catalogued incorrectly being totally in the dark about just how many versions of any one particular album. For example there are 4 different 1971 releases of T Rex Electric Warrior (my most treasured album). There were 3 until I discovered mine (bought when it first came out) had an odd variation in one of the track credits so I uploaded it as a new release. Was my 'Discogswhack' for a while but since another 10 bods have added.

I do like the new filter feature on Discogs, it's a big improvement on the find your version feature that we had before.

I have all of my collection on an Access database; I wonder if it's possible to somehow import that directly to Discogs?

There's the option to import a CSV: https://www.discogs.com/users/import_collection

I've never tried it but I'm sure there's documentation/discussion on Discogs. I think I might test on a 'dummy' account before I tried on my real account just in case!

I've never tried it but I'm sure there's documentation/discussion on Discogs. I think I might test on a 'dummy' account before I tried on my real account just in case!

That's useful to know, it seems that you can export Access and save as a CSV, but as you say, care is needed!

I’m getting the impression Discogs really isn’t the place for classical vinyl. I realise this market is crashing at present, which is a huge shame, but even so values for good stuff seem hugely down compared to recent eBay sales documented on Popsike.

PS I’ve been making good progress cataloguing, just most of three tubs of 12” singles left to do in the front room, then all the CDs upstairs. There are some 7” singles, but they are in a flightcase that I use as a TV stand in the back room, so they won’t be getting done! I can remember most of the interesting stuff there (Zoo label, first couple of Floyd singles etc). Current state of play: 1818 items listed, median £40.3k, max £76.1k. My feelings as a dealer are their low prices are far too low, their high prices often far too high. As ever condition is everything and their data is tainted by a lot of damaged stuff I’d chuck out without even listing.

I'm guessing that the Discog valuations are anchored to the US$ and somewhat 'fluid' subject to currency fluctuations?

I'm guessing that the Discog valuations are anchored to the US$ and somewhat 'fluid' subject to currency fluctuations?

Interesting point. I’ve no idea. When you drill down into the sales history of a given title everything is there; description, grading, selling price in original currency. I guess the low/median/high averages (and therefore the collection value) have to be linked to a currency conversion to make sense.

Part of the reason for doing this is I’m very curious to see any trends and currency shifts is all part of that really.

I’m getting the impression Discogs really isn’t the place for classical vinyl. I realise this market is crashing at present, which is a huge shame, but even so values for good stuff seem hugely down compared to recent eBay sales documented on Popsike.

That mirrors my experience. I don't have anything massively valuable but LPs that I put to one side a few years back because they were showing as being £20-40 now seem to going for a fiver.

Not sure if that's demographics or whether Discogs has allowed non-classical dealers to easily list lots of random classical stock and supply is simply outstripping demand.

Not sure if that's demographics or whether Discogs has allowed non-classical dealers to easily list lots of random classical stock and supply is simply outstripping demand.

The data is hopelessly tainted, e.g. I just had a look at the 1st issue of the Columbia SAX Bach Matthew Passion/Klemperer, which is one of my more valuable classical albums and the data includes incomplete sets, red-semi label reissues etc. From what I can work out from Popsike the really high-level stuff such as this is holding value. Same with the Tureck Bach Goldbergs ALP 1548/9 which are usually sold as a pair and still seem to make £250-500 the pair. Discogs (arguably correctly) has them listed individually, but again this taints the median. The pair is always more valuable than 2x one volume. Similar story with SXLs etc, even when the entry is correct you can often see boxed narrow-band reissues in the sales data for wide-band deep-groove first issues. That just kills the median value.

PS Same issue with good rock/pop, but in a slightly different way, e.g. so many absolutely battered and obviously incomplete copies of say Electric Warrior in the sold data drags the median of what should be a £400+ record down to £20-30 or so. I guess this is one reason high-end audiophile copies of most things tend to do so well as they are likely to be in superb condition and complete.

I imagine with classical the sellers greatly outnumber the buyers these days - sad as it is. In all honesty, even 20 years ago many classical LPs were cheap as chips in the Oxfam bins.

My recent experiences tell me the only people paying decent money for classical LPs are the Chinese. If they aren’t mint condition they don’t want them. If they’re listed as VG+ they expect them to still be mint and complain. I’m out. Will never sell a classical LP again. Not worth the hassle.

Vinyl now done! I finished the last of the 12” tubs earlier. Some surprisingly pricy stuff lurking in there, e.g. a couple of Mogwai and Sigur Ros singles. Some of the electronica/techno too. I’ve only done 7” singles from memory so many are missing (I can’t be bothered moving the TV to get at the flightcase). Just started on the CDs upstairs which is going to be the most tedious phase by far. Once I got into the swing of things I rather enjoyed doing the vinyl as I could be playing bits as I was processing it. Lots of stuff I’d forgotten I even had. The CDs are shelved up on a rather cramped landing upstairs so just R4 on a little Roberts radio as a distraction. I’ve just done 100, I reckon there are another 500 or so left to do, maybe a few more (I had already done the RCA and Mercury SACDs, Original Album Classics boxes etc)…

Just found I have a version of an album which doesn’t appear to be in the Discogs database.

It’s nothing particularly exciting or valuable, just an ELO album (Secret Messages) which was handed down to me when my parents got rid of their record player some years ago.

But in the nerdfun world of Discogs, quite an event!

I entered my collection a few years ago now and had to add 7 entries that were not in the database in any format or release previously. Three of them I'm still the only owner and another there are only 3 members with it in their collection.

This thread is a good reminder that I need to finish cataloguing my LP's. This may then stop me buying extra copies of things I already have plus give my children an idea on its value, when it comes to selling it, when my rpm's have dwindled to zero.

I am in no rush to catalogue my collection.
Once I have done it I will lose something that although irritating, I enjoy.

The randomness of my cataloguing is such that I cannot recall whether it is listed on Discogs, therefore I look the record or c.d. up on Discogs to see whether ’tis or t’aint.
Hence listing what I am listening to in the very easy method on ‘What you playing right now” thread.

I now try to list items as I purchase them. So at least new stuff is done.

The jazz CDs have proven somewhat frustrating as I have a lot of nice early West German and Japanese issues that lack barcodes (especially if I’m missing the obi). A surprising number don’t exist on Discogs to add manually. I should really create them, but the whole cataloguing process is taking so long I really can’t be bothered with photographing stuff etc. I’m temporarily just listing things as their nearest equivalent with a note for myself of the actual catalogue number. I may add them to discogs properly some time in the future. Probably about ten or so Japanese issues to date and two Swiss Verves.

I’m getting through them though! 3118 items catalogued. Just the ECM, classical (which will be a PITA as a fair bit is pre-barcode) and the random stacks of CDs on the floor in front of the two systems to do. FWIW my initial guess at about a £50k median value looks like it will be pretty much spot on.

I did mine a couple of years ago when I first retired. What I have noticed in that things have become much more refined/complex depending on your viewpoint. There are a few of mine that are “wrong” now as so many more pressings have been added E.g. my (approx) 2nd mono press of With The Beatles has a helluva a lot more “versions” than it did back when I catalogued it, such that I think mine is incorrect…but can I be arsed to work out which one is mine? Probably at some point…

advertisement

Back