advertisement

What's the truth about the LP12?

Does anyone have any measurements from other than "Jek's Labs" to actually give this argument a modicum of gravitas?

Given his suspicously dodgy maths earlier in the thread I think the phrase you need here is more like a vague semblance of credibility.

CDs have their own non linear distortions and they are far from perfect otherwise they would all sound the same.

Jek, this is nonsense - how can you tell whether or not they "all sound the same", given what happens during recording, mastering etc etc? There are great sounding CDs, and crappy ones, but that has much more to do with compression and so on.

Laser Doppler this will eliminate the use of a test record at all and with an astonishing level of accuracy. You just measure the rotation of the platter directly.

As I explained earlier the BLG is currently sitting in a box. When it comes out I would be able to attempt some kind of plot given the right software.

My maths? That isn't maths its adding up and my ignorance led to my including a couple of small parts I shouldn't apparently. None of which materially affects my arguments. There were no disingenuous and deliberately misleading posts. Your imagination is running away with you. Are you really going to quibble about 18.5 versus 18.3? Come on...

That's correct. Eccentricity of the disc and the W&F of the cutting lathe all limit the absolute measurement using a test disk. It seems suspicious to me that the techdas and the SME seem to give very similar results. It may be the limit of the test record has been reached.

http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download2011/reports/mar11/sme_model_20_3.html

http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download2013/reports/jun13/techdas_airforceone.html

Also a few others

http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download2010/reports/may10/project_evolution_rpm10_1.html

http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download2009/reports/mar09/sme_30_12a.html

Well done project

Nothing beat these numbers and 0.3% accuracy is typical for some test records

Well you can take the same cd and play it through a selection of different players through the same system for example?

If all CDPs and DACS were perfect then they would by definition sound identical on the same CD. As they do not sound alike then they are clearly not perfect.

My previous post should have said CDPs not CDs apologies for confusion

I have a TT that he's just tested coming up in the January issue. I'm intrigued to see how it gets on.

Nothing beat these numbers and 0.3% accuracy is typical for some test records

Yes, I think that is the limit of accuracy using a test disk.

More interesting than the numbers is the shape of the graph under "Wow and Flutter". In a perfect system, it should be a single narrow spike at 3150hz. Due to convolution of the signal by speed inaccuracy it gets wider. The best (narrowest) spectrum I have seen is from the Radikal LP12, but not Miller's measurements, those published in HiFi critic. The SME graphs are good, the TechDas has some "shoulder" in the spectrum (actually looks quite similar to graph from a Lingo), I would guess it is a 50hz component.

It could be a 33 hz component due to the disc eccentricity

At this level the test disc dominates everything. I have a very high quality one I think that is rated better. I will try and dig it out at some point and get some numbers from it to confirm

# 607...................Oh death........where is thy sting?

This thread is pure comedy gold, don't kill it yet....... lots of guaranteed laughs at the start and end of the working day.....to adjust your post a tad: Death where is thy laser measurement thingy and nearly correct sums?

Psuedo-science that includes apologies for ignorance while ignoring all critique: magnifique!!!

I only apologised for adding an unnecessary lingo as it transpired. I didnt know the radikal made it redundant. The lp12 now has so many kludges ... sorry I mean upgrades ... that I get lost in all of this scam.

You own an lp12 right? ;) I bet you wouldn't recognise a proper scientist if one bit you on the nose

Post of the day! Screamingly funny and totally incorrect to boot!

Excellent. If you fancy yourself as a scientist don't be shy and hide behind vague comments, let's hear which bit is pseudo-science. I'll put the kettle on while you have a think about it...

advertisement

Back