advertisement

What's the truth about the LP12?

Does anyone have any measurements from other than "Jek's Labs" to actually give this argument a modicum of gravitas?

HFN actually measured the EAT at 0.07% FWIW but different publications seem to do it differently and ditto re rumble figures. Rumble is difficult to measure accurately, depending to a large degree on the test record. Some also use the Thorens Rumplemesskoppler device but having tried that I wouldn't trust results from one.

Miller recently measured the Tech-Das W&F at 0.03%.

There are dozens of TT measurement reports downloadable from HFN.

You need to go to the HFN site, scroll to the bottom of the home page and you'll see a red button saying 'Download HiFi News Lab results online'. There you'll find the (very comprehensive) lab results of everything he's tested going back to 2005.

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/

You may need to register at the top of the Miller Audio Research page but I think the Log In code is sent back to you immediately.

The Tech Das was in the June 13 Issue.

No-one said anything about perfect specs but it is possible to compare certain aspects of a turntables performance using measurements. It wouldn't be engineering else. CDs have their own non linear distortions and they are far from perfect otherwise they would all sound the same.

Do we know HFN isn't suspect with that degree of divergence? A manufacturer should be able to measure W&F using doppler which will give much more accurate results and eliminate effects due to the test record itself re: the recording and disc eccentricity.

Do we know HFN isn't suspect with that degree of divergence? A manufacturer should be able to measure W&F using doppler which will give much more accurate results and eliminate effects due to the test record itself re: the recording and disc eccentricity.

Divergence from what? I'd be inclined to believe Paul Miller's findings. He has a consistent methodology. Not really sure where your figures came from or how they were taken.

What do you mean by using Doppler? Does it involve using a test record? If so, it is impossible beyond a certain point to distinguish betwen the W&F from the deck and the lathe that cut the record.

I would say the best method which can be practically applied at home, is the one described in the DIY section by Paul R which uses frequency demodulation of a 3150hz test tone to plot speed variation in real time. Second best to that is the Platter Speed app which work on iPhone/Android provided you have a 3150hz test disk.

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't sure about the trampolinn and plead ignorance of the Radikal. That reduces it to £18.5K or £25K for the special edition.

Actually Jek using your own figures from an earlier post it's £18.3k. Given your "inadvertently" factoring in extra unneeded components into your costings and your disingenuous and totally misleading follow up posts and the highly dodgy maths (which would appear to deliberate errors to inflate the numbers inappropriately and deliberately mislead), I'd have to conclude you are trolling.

advertisement

Back