advertisement

What's the truth about the LP12?

I no longer have any skin in the game. My LP12 is languishing in the attic, all my LPs have been digitised to .flac & I am basically giving away my vinyl collection.

I used an LP12 as my primary source from 1979 to 1986 (the year I bought my first CDP). From 1976 to the present day, I have only bought 1 LP.

It was a damned good source for me until it was overtaken by a whole bunch of CDPs.

Chris

Languishing in the attic is a travesty , sell it and let someone else use it , even a LP12 deserves to be played with daily . ;)

I no longer have any skin in the game. My LP12 is languishing in the attic, all my LPs have been digitised to .flac & I am basically giving away my vinyl collection.

I used an LP12 as my primary source from 1979 to 1986 (the year I bought my first CDP). From 1976 to the present day, I have only bought 1 LP.

It was a damned good source for me until it was overtaken by a whole bunch of CDPs.

Chris

Now that's an interesting parallel. I have an LP12. I bought my first CD player in 1985. Since then I also have bought precisely one LP, and that only because the recording, Dave Brubeck's "Summit Sessions", has never existed in CD (perhaps it will in the aftermath of Mr. Brubeck's sad demise). I keep the LP12 and use it occasionally out of nostalgia, or to play records that I only have on vinyl. So far as is possible, I have acquired all my favourites in CD form. Unlike Chris, I am only a beginner in the computer music field, but I like the results so far - and it stops the house coming down with vinyl and CDs.

Languishing in the attic is a travesty , sell it and let someone else use it , even a LP12 deserves to be played with daily . ;)

Nah, I have an attachment to the old fruitbox. Also, my youngest daughter keeps hinting that she'd like to have it.

I've told her she can if & when she has something to play on it. I'm not giving it to anyone just because vinyl is hip at the moment.

Chris

Chris

Different strokes for different folks! :p

I used an LP12 as my primary source from 1979 until 2013 (upgraded along the way! ;) ). LPs are still my primary source ... but I now use my 'SkeletaLinn' - the nearest thing I can get to a genuine LP12 ... but with a 12" arm.

LPs are a PITA, in terms of the cleaning rigmarole but AFAIAC, the sound they deliver is better. :) Sure, I could buy an expensive CDP which would improve the CD delivery I get (compared to the H-K CDR20 that I have) ... but the future of digital is HD downloads - not CDs.

Regards,

Andy

I assume you mean 'from 1986', as if 'from 1976' you've missed out on acres of superb music!

Different strokes for different folks! :p

I used an LP12 as my primary source from 1979 until 2013 (upgraded along the way! ;) ). LPs are still my primary source ... but I now use my 'SkeletaLinn' - the nearest thing I can get to a genuine LP12 ... but with a 12" arm.

LPs are a PITA, in terms of the cleaning rigmarole but AFAIAC, the sound they deliver is better. :) Sure, I could buy an expensive CDP which would improve the CD delivery I get (compared to the H-K CDR20 that I have) ... but the future of digital is HD downloads - not CDs.

Regards,

Andy

Totally agree. My only source now is a decent streamer. It is as good as any CDP out there & orders of magnitude more convenient.

Chris

I`ve had two LP12`s. Pay no more than £500 for a decent one with an Ittok and you`ll be fine. Better decks out there for sure but, at a good price 2nd hand it is very hard to beat - despite all the bull :p

I`ve had two LP12`s. Pay no more than £500 for a decent one with an Ittok and you`ll be fine. Better decks out there for sure but, at a good price 2nd hand it is very hard to beat - despite all the bull :p

If you can find a working lp12 with ittok for less than £500 I will be amazed .:)

I had a Valhalla/Affro/Ittok a few years ago. It cost me €400. It can be done! The Ittok is a good arm but totally overrated these days imo. Grace 707 or 909 are the best arms I`ve ever heard on an LP12. The suspension floats beautifully with the Grace arms onboard. Only ever heard an Aro on an LP12 once. Excellent but again, way too much wonga for the sonic returns.

I`ve just been reading a few pages of this thread and have found it to be mental altogether! Keep up the comedy folks as I have a long day in work ahead of me :)

I went into a very well regarded Linn dealer and asked to listen to their cheapest Linn LP12 as that was what I was genuinely interested in purchasing. I don't generally get accused of not making myself clear. When I arrived for the demo he had set up the most expensive all-Linn system they made at that time presumably so that I would remember that sound when he eventually got round to putting on what I had requested. I didn't buy either.

BlueEyes, not sure why you quoted my post and then repeated this from earlier in the thread. My post was specifically in response to Jeks incorrect figures and his explanation that he got them wrong because he doesn't really know much about the recent LP12 mods. I was merely speculating as to whether his lack of knowledge extended to a lack of first hand experience actually listening to the mods he's so desperately keen to rubbish.

As for your experience the dealer exhibited poor sales technique. You should always listen to your customer but some salesmen do try it on, in all sorts of different market areas. His loss.

General opinion is the Radikal is the most significant upgrade to the LP12.

The general recommendation now is that it is the first upgrade to do to even an entry level LP12, and a few people have indeed followed this recommendation.

I've heard an entry level LP12 with a Radikal outperform my otherwise top end LP12 with Lingo2 Keel Trampolin2 Ekos2 Akiva. Made me seriously think about selling my Keel and a few other things to get a Radikal.

General opinion is the Radikal is the most significant upgrade to the LP12.

The general recommendation now is that it is the first upgrade to do to even an entry level LP12, and a few people have indeed followed this recommendation.

I've heard an entry level LP12 with a Radikal outperform my otherwise top end LP12 with Lingo2 Keel Trampolin2 Ekos2 Akiva. Made me seriously think about selling my Keel and a few other things to get a Radikal.

You can buy the motor direct from maxxon for £150 or so and I see no reason why any decent variable dc power supply will not equal the performance of Linns motor unit .

Im currently using this

.http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=221286090989

Sure its ugly , but its less than 10% of the value of the radikal .:D

it is so much better than the origin live control box I used previously and I see no reason why it will not offer the same performance as the Linn. I have read the bumpf I fail to see anything which justifies the price , except it looks good .

My suggestion buy this and then ask a dealer to come round with the radikal for you to compare .

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks.

A key issue will be jitter, the Radikal was developed from the Klimax DS clock, the jitter of which is seven picoseconds.

Thanks.

A key issue will be jitter, the Radikal was developed from the Klimax DS clock, the jitter of which is seven picoseconds.

Of all the issues I have read vis-à-vis DC , the only issue appears to be speed drift over time , jitter does not appear to be an issue , both theoretically and empirically in respect of the maxon DC motor .

Empirically , speed drift isn't a problem after 3 months either .

advertisement

Back