advertisement

What's The Last Bit Of Audio Equipment You Have Bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I put down a deposit on an ex-demo pair of these babies.

vivid_ovalv15.jpg

Will you be able to get into your study?

I sold the Sonus fabers to make room. The Vivids look lovely in a subtle pearlescent grey-blue. I'm tempted to try them in the living room and keep the MLs upstairs (with a load more acoustic treatment).

I sold the Sonus fabers to make room. The Vivids look lovely in a subtle pearlescent grey-blue. I'm tempted to try them in the living room and keep the MLs upstairs (with a load more acoustic treatment).
Sounds like you have some interesting testing to do

Sounds like you have some interesting testing to do

In a few weeks. Come May we should have the living room fully furnished.

The Vivids will take a couple of weeks to arrive as one of the mid/bass drivers needed its dust cap replaced.

The colour is close to these:

images

Just got the latest CuBox i4Pro. the Bells and Whistles model.

Three generations of Music carrier (plus Zecora) by c-g., on Flickr

The tiny 2" cube Cuboxi4Pro is a Quad Core Arm Cortex with quite a good GPU and running a shitload of data and sensor programs for the house as well as Volumio. The Cubox has a tiny energy footprint. 5v @3A it idles at just 250mA. It presently has Volumio, Kodi, Airport Streaming as well as local spam filtering and send me iMessages when downloads are completed. I prefer this to the RPI because it has a case, it has optical out, it has USB audio out (via device D0) and can quite happily hold 128GB SDXC cards and this store a lot of data and stuff. It's also a perfect chrome/android/Linux triple boot thin client and it can run from SD card eSATA or USB stick or USB Drive/SSD. It has Wifi and Bluetooth already built in.

Solid-run.com frequently have specials for $99 (just ended) and for that you get a LOT of computer. Far more than just an audio renderer for the Devialet. I think with a little work it could be a great Ubuntu workstation.

Hence Zecora, the Zebrapony

https://www.solid-run.com/product/cubox-i4pro/

I've been using one of these for Volumio since September last year and they really are cracking value.

NAD C326BEE Integrated

I have always liked the look of NAD, and when this one came up I took a punt. I'm not a review groupie but this amp was well spoken of by people whose opnions I value, and I must say so far I'm impressed. It's combination of grip,authority, finesse and subtlety imakes for the most important thing I look for in any kit - musicality, and my Harbeths love it.

Is it me? But I have yet to work what a CuBox-i4pro actually is. I do know it is "top of the range with all the bells and whistles" though

Is it me? But I have yet to work what a CuBox-i4pro actually is. I do know it is "top of the range with all the bells and whistles" though

Its a mini computer with no moving parts, low power draw and low noise, making it ideal for audio and video streaming applications running on Linux or Android. There's no hard disk, the OS (Linux or Android) is stored on an SD card from which the unit is booted, and also contains all your applications and data.

For audio, use Linux with the likes of Logitech Media Server to stream music from an external USB hard disk or NAS via ethernet to a DAC and control it from a tablet using a compatible control app on a tablet such as SqueezePad or iPeng.

Rather than configure my own unit, I bought one of these:

http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/innuos-wave

This came pre configured with innuos proprietary software based on Logitech Media Server and also contains a plugin for streaming services such as Qobuz. Within 5 minutes of connecting it to my Ethernet network, I could stream music up to DSD 256 from my NAS and music from my Qobuz account to my DAC via USB using SqueezePad as a control app on my iPad.

If you store music on a NAS or just want to have hard wired connectivity to your DAC for the likes of Qobuz, its a great low cost alternative to sticking a screen-less MacMini or PC in your system. Its also much more elegant to control it using an app, compared with a Mac or PC where you'd need to login from a laptop or tablet and screen share.

Beyerdynamic T90's (returned - awesome, awesome, awesome headphones, but not...)
Beyerdynamic T1's (kept - awesomer headphones lol)
Bottlehead Crack OLT headphone amp kit (ordered)
Bottlehead Crack Speedball upgrade (ordered)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back