advertisement

What's The Last Bit Of Audio Equipment You Have Bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3038705_800.jpg

A cheapish USB DAC from TEAC to stream radio from my MAC. Such a joy to be able to hear new music from radio stations I used to listened to during my college days.

It doesn't get played that often though since I have lots of music on CD and LPs. Oh well...

Just got the latest CuBox i4Pro. the Bells and Whistles model.

Three generations of Music carrier (plus Zecora) by c-g., on Flickr

The tiny 2" cube Cuboxi4Pro is a Quad Core Arm Cortex with quite a good GPU and running a shitload of data and sensor programs for the house as well as Volumio. The Cubox has a tiny energy footprint. 5v @3A it idles at just 250mA. It presently has Volumio, Kodi, Airport Streaming as well as local spam filtering and send me iMessages when downloads are completed. I prefer this to the RPI because it has a case, it has optical out, it has USB audio out (via device D0) and can quite happily hold 128GB SDXC cards and this store a lot of data and stuff. It's also a perfect chrome/android/Linux triple boot thin client and it can run from SD card eSATA or USB stick or USB Drive/SSD. It has Wifi and Bluetooth already built in.

Solid-run.com frequently have specials for $99 (just ended) and for that you get a LOT of computer. Far more than just an audio renderer for the Devialet. I think with a little work it could be a great Ubuntu workstation.

Hence Zecora, the Zebrapony

https://www.solid-run.com/product/cubox-i4pro/

I bought some Reference 3A Veena 2 and a Bel Canto DAC1.5 and power amp 150s. Not enough on this blog about these brands from Canada.

Took a punt on a Meridian Director dac from Amazon, and glad that I did. Might even try it in my my main system in place of the mdac.

Velodyne Optimum subwoofer.

Place the included microphone in the listening position and the sub calibrates itself for the room dimensions and placement. All the user has to do is adjust the crossover point and volume level. Much simpler way of setting up a sub. I'd tried a few less sophisticated subs, but this one is easiest to setup and sounds the best by far.

I cross it over at 60 Hz to help fill in the low bass missing with my main speakers, Focus FS-688, which are run full range ( no high pass filtering ).

image.jpg1_zps2op69xes.jpg

A >£200 DAC. I am doubting that it significantly improves the sound of my 1990s Sony CD players. Maybe it is just me. This is probably the first dubious, faddy thing I have bought since starting in 1964.

2X Nakamichi 700II plus electronics overhaul. Awesome sound from cassettes of any age thro' Primare amps and Dali, oh, and a Velodyne sub.

Hi Steven,

I would be interested in considering a resistor upgrade for both my CDP/DAC (Audiolab 8200CD) and Amp (Primare I21).

Which specific Vishay resistors did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back