advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Three things:
  • A couple of weeks back I got an iFi Audio LAN Silencer - I bought it on a lark, as my Pi4 running piCorePlayer is connected via an Ethernet cable. I think it made a tiny bit of difference in the sound (more liquid?). The effect was definitely minor, and could just be the placebo effect. :D The cost is quite small, though.
  • I finally received the Weiss DAC204, ordered back in June. I've done some very early positive comparisons against the Denafrips Iris and Pontus II, and I'll soon get it over to the other room to compare it to the T+A DAC200.
  • Tomorrow I'm picking up the Tannoy Kensington SE. I've been very happy with the Klipsch Cornwall IV, but there are times when I think things could sound even better. We'll see how the two speakers compare.

Last edited:
LPGear The Vessel R3SM cartridge, still breaking it in but absolutely loving it so far. A huge leap in detail and acoustics over my previous AT VM750SH (to my ears of course).
That’s interesting, I have an AT VM750SH, did you have to pay import duties?

Just ordered myself an Easy VTA for the Jelco 750 cant wait for knipster to do my 401 plinth build after the Wam show, so I can fit the arm.

Oh, picked up a Belden digital RCA cable as I can’t find the one I used before sending my Rega Apollo off for a repair. Returned it because it needed a replacement mech and some rework on a PCB. No more issues.

Three things:
  • A couple of weeks back I got an iFi Audio LAN Silencer - I bought it on a lark, as my Pi4 running piCorePlayer is connected via an Ethernet cable. I think it made a tiny bit of difference in the sound (more liquid?). The effect was definitely minor, and could just be the placebo effect. :D The cost is quite small, though.
  • I finally received the Weiss DAC204, ordered back in June. I've done some very early positive comparisons against the Denafrips Iris and Pontus II, and I'll soon get it over to the other room to compare it to the T+A DAC200.
  • Tomorrow I'm picking up the Tannoy Kensington SE. I've been very happy with the Klipsch Cornwall IV, but there are times when I think things could sound even better. We'll see how the two speakers compare.
Would love to hear the kensington , let us know how you get on

An almost mint and unmolested Exposure III pre amp to add to my collection and similar condition Exposure VII dual pre (I just couldn't leave it alone) arrived last week.

On order an Exposure VXN phono to replace my Exposure XM3 in my Ovator600 system which will be going active early next year if not sooner when I can find some spare time to rewire the base of the Ovators and have the Exposure VXN active setup.

Most recent is an Arcam SA20 amplifier. It's a temporary stand in (or at least that was the original idea), was able to pick it up "nearly new" with 5 year warranty for exactly half it's normal price (probably helped by the fact that the dealer probably knew Arcam were about to replace the entire range).

I have to say, considering it was being sold for a 5th of the price of my Krell (or a 12th if the replacement Krell brought out is anything to go by), it's a very nice sounding amplifier. So much so that I'm now seriously questioning whether any amplifier is worth spending over £2k on. Sure the Krell is better, it has clearer instrument separation and the bass control is better. But truth is they are reasonably marginal improvements objectively. The Arcam is clear, transparent essentially neutral with just a touch of "fullness" to the Bass (which is otherwise controlled and tuneful). The midrange only suffers in so much as it's easier to separate and follow the musicians if you try to follow them individually with the Krell, but not by much.

SBLs are brilliant so long as you use them back up against the wall and properly adjusted in terms of the spacers and gaskets. They like having plenty of power too. At today’s prices they are a bargain.

That’s interesting, I have an AT VM750SH, did you have to pay import duties?
Yeah I did, unavoidable on most things from the states :| No duty though, just the VAT and the ParcelForce £12 charge, think it was about £78 total.

For my two channel set-up, I have not bought anything for quite some, time so I decided to treat myself. I purchased some new speaker cables which I can only describe as the Ultimate, Worlds Best Cables. That is literally what they are called.

First impressions; they have impressive girth & look very well made.

My two channel system forms my front left and right channels when using my multichannel system for movies. The cables I am currently using (Nordost flat ribbon cables) like to transmit noise they pick up when I’m watching movies.

Not had time to fit them yet so I’ll be swapping them over this weekend.

How do you find these, please?
I'm tempted to get some myself.
Apologies...I was very happy with them and they upscale like crazy. I had initially just used a Schiit headphone amplifier as a preamp but later used a modded Grounded Grid tube preamp and was floored how great they sounded. The gent I purchased them from had the same experience and he was in the deep-end of the pool regarding reputation and costs of his associated kit. No issue recommending to others.

A new NAD M23 which I like a lot even though it's still got less than 100 hours of background use. Also got a pair of almost new Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers at an attractive price - it's going to be a few weeks before these get an outing.
How are you getting on with the Serhan Swift speakers?

advertisement

Back