advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

I had to struggle to think of the last time I bought any hi-fi. Eventually, I realised that it was a Naim NDX streamer from my countrymen at Lyric Hi-Fi up the Lisburn Road. That was about 5 years ago. Before that, it was some Quad IIs, also from Norn Iron (about 5 years before that).

Denon DCD-860 CD player after purchasing a Denon PMA-350SE.

For a nifty fifty, I thought I would give this 30 year old a go.

Fully expecting it's sonic abilities to be overshadowed by the plethora of facilities, I have been excellently surprised by how good a player this actually is.

Instruments are portrayed in the soundstage with musical expression that actually holds my attention.

Unlike practically all of the cheaper players and some of the more expensive ones, I've tried, too.

Radford Revival Kaizen monos
GetAttachmentThumbnail
Fabulous...needs a rug mind you. :)

How do the Radfords sound? I'm very envious.

Fabulous...needs a rug mind you. :)

How do the Radfords sound? I'm very envious.
Yes to the rug and needs curtains too, but just putting the system together for a quick listen.
Kaizens sounding great, lots of detail, information on well known tracks that I'd not heard before whilst still being musical (whatever that means)
Looking for a suitable preamp next as using the preamp out from Sony 770ES so lots more to come.
Chiily, I'm in Wells so you're welcome to come for a listen sometime.

Kaizens sounding great, lots of detail, information on well known tracks that I'd not heard before whilst still being musical (whatever that means)
Looking for a suitable preamp
Very well could be my next amps, I'd be very interested to know what type of preamp is best suited, passive or active?

Very well could be my next amps, I'd be very interested to know what type of preamp is best suited, passive or active?
I'm going to try a passive, a tvc that does balanced and rca and then look at some active options (Bryston, Dynavector etc) Other person I know with a pair uses a Tron. Had a chat with Steve and it was only the tvc idea that caused a raised eyebrow. Will update in due course.

@Salamander

Further experimentation with two HRS dampers on dCS Rossini Apex DAC and clock have led to the conclusion that the clock should be the first to treat. I tried no HRS, one on the clock one on the DAC, one on each, both on the clock and both on the DAC...
They are now both on the clock.
Between now and Christmas I shall put another pair on the DAc and when funds allow the middle-sized ones on the speakers :)

Just bought a "B" grade iBasso DX170 from AMP3 (screen protector off and missing cable but otherwise as new). It's to replace my Xduoo X3. The X3 while is compact and I had no complaints about the sound quality when used it the user interface was frustrating.

With its Android operating system and clear screen the DX170 is easy to use, and so much more versatile. Output to headphones by single end, balanced output or by Bluetooth.

You do have to give it a little time to do it's thing as the processor isn't that fast. So far I've loaded BBC Sounds, Qobuz and Roon. I will now set about adding more music to the SD card before my next holiday.

Not strictly hi-fi, but when a work colleague tells you that he spotted a 1960s B&O Beolit 600 portable radio in his local junk emporium for £20, the only appropriate response is to request that he grabs it for you next time he visits, if it's still there.

It was and he did!

Vi4DnNT.jpg

LPGear The Vessel R3SM cartridge, still breaking it in but absolutely loving it so far. A huge leap in detail and acoustics over my previous AT VM750SH (to my ears of course).

A second Rega Brio-R. Having bought one for the system I'm building for my neighbour, I am so impressed by the wee thing that I had to have one for myself.

I've owned four Nait 2s, and I'd take a Brio over one any day.

An extension cable for my Stax Headphones. A Wiim Pro. A pre loved Audioquest coaxial cable from a mate to hook the Wiim up to my Cyrus Pre 2 dac qx.
Amazon Unlimited.

For Nostalgia reasons, A B&O Beosound 3000 and Beolab 6000 speakers that came up at a cheap enough price.

For Hifi, A Trichord Neo phono stage to replace my Diablo

advertisement

Back