advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Sold the Beomaster 1200 back to the seller who asked if he could have it back. He needed it with a nice Beogram 4004.

Today I picked up a working Beomaster 3000 and a nice Beogram 3000 from a man who worked at B&O in the early 1970s.

The Beogram 3000 with an elliptical SP12 sounds better than the Beogram 1202 with a spherical SP14, even after all these years.It must be down to the cart.

oIgwqgol.jpg

Not sure if this counts....but had my Musical Fidelity amplifers upgraded by JS audio repairs....and just ordered some more industrial springs to place under my equipment as a poor mans Isoacoustic pods.
Was thinking of getting my MF A5 pre/power upgraded by JS, are you happy with the improvements??

Was thinking of getting my MF A5 pre/power upgraded by JS, are you happy with the improvements??

Before I had the work done, the sound had a hard edge to it, that has now gone. The biggest difference is there has been a significant increase in transparency. The sound has improved but I wouldn't call it revolutionary, more of a refinement.

I'm still in two minds whether it was value for money. My preamp went pop, so I had to do something, repair at least.

I ended up spending £2k, on my preamp and two mono blocks. I took the view if it gets me another 10 years it not bad value.

I also thought, if I sold everything, I didn't think I could really buy an improvement for the same money. Certainly not new.

The thing that swung it for me, was John saying the pre-amp is the same design as a new m6, the monoblocks... He kept referring to the KW range.. I thought they are all decent, and that's before the upgrade work.

Overall I'm happy.

Edit: I've just plugged in a CHC XPS into my naim dac, wow. The upgrades didn't bring as much a difference as plugging in this unit has. Everything had opened up and sounds more fluid.

Last edited:
Few weeks ago, Wiim mini. Not too shabby, quite a lot better than Chrome Cast Audio, and no more bugs and glitches I had with both Tidal app on my phone and Chrome Cast connection.

Nice and convenient.

After a weekend trawling the net, I've just ordered some Noctua fans for my Synology NAS, should be getting and fitting them this weekend.
The fans arrived this afternoon and thanks to a youtube video (below) I've fitted the Noctua AF9 FLX fans to my Synology 420+ NAS. With my poor sight and a certain tendency to check everything twice, it took me less than an hour to do the job. I chose to use the screws rather than the very fiddly to insert silicon widgets to mount the fans and managed to put the retaining clips back in place without removing any silicon damping from the new fans (unlike the guy in the video). I come to use the slowest fan speed using the #13 adaptor.

Before, with the stock fans, the NAS was noisy with severe noise from the plastic case rattling as well as fan noise; now, the NAS is much quieter and the case no longer needs a rather heavy doorstop on top to calm it down.
In short, €40 and an hour of my time well spent.

Chord Company Epic interconnect (£400) between Naim CDX2,2 and ATC 150 wpc Integrated. My long term reference is a Mogami microphone star quad cable with screw down connectors (£45). The Epic provides more detail, which is nice, and does not reduce dynamics like previous Chord interconnects that I have known. I have reservations that it may be showing up the limitations of the CDX2.2 but time will tell as it breaks in - a few weeks.

advertisement

Back