advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Most significant purchase in my case as I’ve been buying into digital from a standing start these last few months….
Ether2 headphones. Game-changing as it’s caused me to question whether to keep my carefully put together dedicated listening room.
Honourable mention in dispatches to the RME ADI fs. Apart from standalone goodness, you can play with all those switches and sliders you love but used to muck up the sound in the olden days.

A Musical Fidelity P170 in transit for me, should get it mid July. Probably need a full recap but can’t wait to see it........euh, I meant hear it ! :cool: It is from the 80’s and typically, this era is my sweet spot for a good sounding vintage amplifier.

Rossini clock, a repair / refresh on my pre-amp and still waiting for a Wireworld XLR i/c to be delivered.

Since Christmas:-

New Aperura Adamante speakers in a gorgeous white

2nd hand Audience Au24SX speaker cables (single wire) to go with above

2nd hand Nordost Valhalla BNC-BNC cable for the clock to DAC link

4 sets of Nordost Sort Kones (8 BC, 2 TC, 2 AC)

Naim CD5i, before that Naim Nait5i, before that active Linn Kabers, before that Meridian 507 CD player (this is all in the last three months for my second system), before that, a well specified LP12 for the main system.

Copland CTA-301 about a week ago ...

cta301.JPG

Solid-state power supply, all valve RIAA and line-stage - with proper tape loop for off-tape monitoring, balance control and just the right number of inputs. It works a treat with its Danish relation, a pair of Densen B-350 mono blocks.

The last thing I bought new was a tonearm, six maybe seven years ago. I've bought plenty of used kit over the years though, the last item being another tonearm a month or so back.

Supernait 3 about 6 months ago. Previous amp was a Nait XS-2 with a Rega Fono for record playing duties. Apart from the upgrade in sound quality, it's nice to lose a box and have an amp with an actual "Phono" button.

Two Rotel PA's, second hand, for use with subs that I experimented with last autumn. Came to the conclusion that subs isn't for me, so they are resting with some other stuff in the vault.

advertisement

Back